ADVERTISEMENT

The Punt Return

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
Im really tired of even the announcers being better aware of the situation. Why give Reed an opportunity on that punt? Put the damn ball out of bounds. The defense was owning MSU and you just needed to make them work for yards and points. The last 5 minutes of the game were almost gifted to MSU through stupid decisions.

Pretty obvious the Punter was told to Punt the ball to the right. But for some insane reason he decided to Punt it to the left. Pretty much sums up the season in a nutshell. This team should be 5-0 and ranked in the Top 10 but here we are at 2-3.
I watched a few coaches on frost's staff say you have to instantly forget mistakes....I'm not sure about this policy, during the game yes, maybe...but I would like them to dwell on the mistakes all week to learn from them....then we may not keep repeating them...

Reactions: FlintTown
Punting it to the wrong side of the field was not planned
But putting Cerni on the field at all was planned. He has never done shit. He is an absolutely wretched punter. Bad players make bad plays. That is what happened here. The punt was supposed to go right. He rolled to his right. My guess is, he tried to kick it to the right. But because he has no talent and has no business being on the field, he mishit the ball with his foot and sent it left. I feel for the kid. But Frost is a brain dead nitwit for having Cerni kicking anything.

While I agree Reed is a good return man, the total breakdown in coverage was the problem. Any walk-on who can run under a 4.8 could have made a big play with the entire field empty in front of him.
Domann and someone else were speaking at the post-game conference. They were incredibly frustrated with that whole sequence. Said the play was set to have defenders stacked on one side of the field, and was designed to keep the ball away from Reed.

Instead, we punted it directly to Reed, with much of our defense stacked on the other side. Said something like, "I really don't know how you practice kicking all day every day, practice that play, and kick it to the wrong side of the field."

If you watch the replay all the players were heading to the right side of the field before any fair catch signal. Thus it's obvious they expected the Punt to be kicked to the right.
I think it's wise not to expect anything from our kickers at this juncture, if fact I would say be on the look out for worse possible scenario...at all times..

While I agree Reed is a good return man, the total breakdown in coverage was the problem. Any walk-on who can run under a 4.8 could have made a big play with the entire field empty in front of him.
Cerni blatantly got held on that play as well. Not saying he was going to make the tackle but given his background I suspect he would have if nothing else slowed the guy down. I'm not sure how or why we're giving out scholarships to punters or kickers.

I think it's wise not to expect anything from our kickers at this juncture, if fact I would say be on the look out for worse possible scenario...at all times..
Need to just go for it always on 4th down. Damn. Put a walk on in who can punt it high for 30 yards. It's just amazing.

Reactions: redwine65
Domann and someone else were speaking at the post-game conference. They were incredibly frustrated with that whole sequence. Said the play was set to have defenders stacked on one side of the field, and was designed to keep the ball away from Reed.

Instead, we punted it directly to Reed, with much of our defense stacked on the other side. Said something like, "I really don't know how you practice kicking all day every day, practice that play, and kick it to the wrong side of the field."
IF I were that punter I would have missed the plane home and rented a car to drive home. Damn.

But putting Cerni on the field at all was planned. He has never done shit. He is an absolutely wretched punter. Bad players make bad plays. That is what happened here. The punt was supposed to go right. He rolled to his right. My guess is, he tried to kick it to the right. But because he has no talent and has no business being on the field, he mishit the ball with his foot and sent it left. I feel for the kid. But Frost is a brain dead nitwit for having Cerni kicking anything.
The kid didn't grow up kicking an American football. The fad is to get "one of those guys" from down under. Stupid. We've got kids all over the 500 mile radius who can do better. He's a huge kid with a big leg but damn has that ever been a wasted scholarship.

Because the other punter is just as inconsistent?

Cerni blatantly got held on that play as well. Not saying he was going to make the tackle but given his background I suspect he would have if nothing else slowed the guy down. I'm not sure how or why we're giving out scholarships to punters or kickers.
Cerni should have his head held under water for that gaffe

Get his aussie as the hell out of America

• Wow
Reactions: Cornfield
I could have returned that 15 yards.

It amazing that they had a decent punter the walkon from Oklahoma and he left,he filled in adequately last year against Rutgers I presume he was never given a chance to win the job you cant tell me the nebraska high school football doesn’t having a decent kicker and punter that would be just fine and NU.

They did a good job of faking the catch on the other side of the field. Everyone in red ran right when the kick went left, it was pure chaos.
One possible solution. Have a non playing freshman in the end zone showing them the direction the ball is going.
Have that player wear a shirt with a big P or something. Would that be against any rule?

Reactions: HominidHusker
I’m still confused about this play.

Frost said the punt was supposed to go right yet it went left.

MSU is acting like it was a trick play. One guy said he knew it was going to work after the first two seconds.

Bad punt or great trick play?

3ndh8f.jpg

This right here!!

Frost or whoever has no business to tell the punter anything except punt it 30 yards straight ahead for me please and don't shank it! This guy has been benched 2wice and the other punter got benched for a 7 YARD PUNT!

These guys have no talent for anything fancy. Just kick it down the middle far as you can dammit! That's on whoever called that play..

Im really tired of even the announcers being better aware of the situation. Why give Reed an opportunity on that punt? Put the damn ball out of bounds. The defense was owning MSU and you just needed to make them work for yards and points. The last 5 minutes of the game were almost gifted to MSU through stupid decisions.
I am wondering if since our punter is an Aussie he wasn't clear on left and right. Aren't they opposite South of the equator?

Remember when Buffalo’s? QB launched a pretty sweet pooch punt?
Could we teach one of our QB’s to do that?
Or throw a bomb and hope the other team intercepts it instead of dropping it?
Or run a fake punt?
Or give the ball to Damian Jackson and dare the opposition to go near his death stare?
Pretty much anything is better.

Prystrup’s 7 yard punt gave Mich St 3 points that drive right? Another chance to win the game.

This loss was not really on Adrian, but we would not be obsessing over the punting if Adrian had seen one of of the many wide open throws downfield that were there all day. That’s also coaching him to not be a winner.
Our red zone offense failed again to capitalize on TD opportunities.
The point is, another fix for bad punting is scoring TDs.

Remember when Buffalo’s? QB launched a pretty sweet pooch punt?
Could we teach one of our QB’s to do that?
Or throw a bomb and hope the other team intercepts it instead of dropping it?
Or run a fake punt?
Or give the ball to Damian Jackson and dare the opposition to go near his death stare?
Pretty much anything is better.

Prystrup’s 7 yard punt gave Mich St 3 points that drive right? Another chance to win the game.

This loss was not really on Adrian, but we would not be obsessing over the punting if Adrian had seen one of of the many wide open throws downfield that were there all day. That’s also coaching him to not be a winner.
Our red zone offense failed again to capitalize on TD opportunities.
The point is, another fix for bad punting is scoring TDs.
martinez has punted once in a game in his career, and if I recall, it was a good kick that pinned the opponent inside their 10 yard line

The other guy shanked 2 punts, which is why Cerni is on the field in the first place. Where have we heard this before? Special teams is a disaster.

Doubt if either punter could INTENTIONALLY punt out of bounds. As to you point, a seven yard out of bounds would have been good at this point of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT