ADVERTISEMENT

"The parameters, I think, were fairly clearly spelled out”…

B1G RED RULES

First Team All-Big Ten
Sep 7, 2013
"The parameters, I think, were fairly clearly spelled out, " Osborne said Saturday.

Nebraska was 4-4 when Osborne met with Nebraska coaches a week after replacing fired Athletic Director Steve Pederson. The staff wanted to know some benchmarks as far as what they had to do.

Osborne said go 4-0 and get to 8-4 and things would be fine. Play well, win three of four, get to 7-5 and — although no guarantees — maybe it could still work.

Then came the bottom line in a cold business.

"If it's two out of four, " Osborne told them, "it's going to be pretty tough, because now you're breaking even (6-6) and we haven't had many break-even seasons around here. And I said if we have a losing season, I don't think there's any way that this will work."

Although it wasn't a blow out, this game has a lot of the 2007 Okie State game feel to it - hope is effectively gone and reality of what is to come is setting in. The main difference is that was game 7 of the season, this is game 1.

"The parameters, I think, were fairly clearly spelled out, " Osborne said Saturday.

Nebraska was 4-4 when Osborne met with Nebraska coaches a week after replacing fired Athletic Director Steve Pederson. The staff wanted to know some benchmarks as far as what they had to do.

Osborne said go 4-0 and get to 8-4 and things would be fine. Play well, win three of four, get to 7-5 and — although no guarantees — maybe it could still work.

Then came the bottom line in a cold business.

"If it's two out of four, " Osborne told them, "it's going to be pretty tough, because now you're breaking even (6-6) and we haven't had many break-even seasons around here. And I said if we have a losing season, I don't think there's any way that this will work."
No doubt Tom lobbied for the length of Frost's first contract and subsequent extensions. I don't think even the mammoth buyout will save Frost if this thing doesn't get turned around this year. I can see losing your first game maybe but the stakes were so high this year on that first game for Frost. Now he's dug himself a hole. He needs to win every game that we should win and several now that we'll be big dogs in. I'm afraid this deal is circling the drain and $20 Million isn't going to deter Alberts if it does. At 8-10 million per home game in ticket revenue forgetting about concessions, they can't afford to let this go on if he doesn't win this year.

Although it wasn't a blow out, this game has a lot of the 2007 Okie State game feel to it - hope is effectively gone and reality of what is to come is setting in. The main difference is that was game 7 of the season, this is game 1.
Agree, with different time period, but do you think Scott Lost is going to achieve any of the year end measurements that TO said would be acceptable? Our standards have dramatically changed from the measuring stick TO laid out back then. 6-6 is now considered a good season by many in YEAR 4.

Hopped in the way back machine for this one. Unimaginable how far we've fallen. It just keeps getting worse.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT