ADVERTISEMENT

The Option

I would actually have McCaffrey at QB and run 20 options a game. Wandale at WB, Scott and Johnson in the backfield. Betts as the WR.
Hopefully Mills will be back. Problem with playing Mills at WB in the I is who will be the IB, I’m not sold on any of the options. Hard to run the I without a dynamic IB. Mills and Wandale would be a much more dynamic backfield.

Last edited:
Reactions: otismotis08
Just go under center in a power I. Hell go full wishbone.
Under center yes. Wishbone no. We don't have enough healthy backs to run Wishbone. We've got some kids who could play fullback in the I. We're already running a Veer style offense in some ways. I just think we've got way too much side to side finesse in our ground game when I think guys like Wilson and Farniok are built for straight ahead power. Man how I would like to see a fullback trap run just once this weekend.

Hopefully Mills will be back. Problem with playing Mills at WB in the I is who will be the IB, I’m not sold on any of the options. Hard to run the I without a dynamic IB. Mills and Wandale would be a much more dynamic backfield.
I wouldn't bet on any of our top three RBs being available this weekend. We may need a walk on to step up.

Jeez. Probably going to be a lot of Wandale at RB this week.
Frankly I keep hearing about a walk on RB that they're high on. Give the kid a shot and leave Wandale outside. A little element of surpise like "man that kid runs hard" might catch someobody by surprise.

• Haha
Reactions: BrighteRed24
Frankly I keep hearing about a walk on RB that they're high on. Give the kid a shot and leave Wandale outside. A little element of surpise like "man that kid runs hard" might catch someobody by surprise.
Sounds like Morrison might be getting healthy. Wonder if we see him.

We have the personnel and the coach to teach it. Why not give it a shot from the I-formation here and there? Iowa lacked speed on the edge which would have been eaten alive with an option game.
because upper management declared the option to be DOA after dr tom won 3 NC's with it and solich turned it into a QB run only system. we are not to question pass happy upper management, we are just to wait for us to recruit the next tom brady/joe monatana, and of course rice, largent, duper and clayton. and wait silently...

plus we don't want road grinder offensive linemen and I-backs gashing defenses.....that kinda thing could cause a concussion to other teams feelings

because upper management declared the option to be DOA after dr tom won 3 NC's with it and solich turned it into a QB run only system. we are not to question pass happy upper management, we are just to wait for us to recruit the next tom brady/joe monatana, and of course rice, largent, duper and clayton. and wait silently...
Tom endorsed the spread shortly after he retired and then again when Bo introduced spread concepts with Martinez. In order to run the offense Tom ran, we would need to have Tom run it iMO. The guy is brilliant and was a brilliant play caller. I guarantee you that if Tom were running Frost's offense, he would be brilliant at that as well. Frost hasn't had the kind of time that Tom had to perfect his trade just yet. I think people really under estimate how extremely intelligent Tom was.

Tom was always thinking a series or two later in his play calling setting things up with little nuances seeing how one defender reacted to a play. The man was brilliant. In addition given some of the things I've heard, he had nearly a photographic memory.

Tom endorsed the spread shortly after he retired and then again when Bo introduced spread concepts with Martinez. In order to run the offense Tom ran, we would need to have Tom run it iMO. The guy is brilliant and was a brilliant play caller. I guarantee you that if Tom were running Frost's offense, he would be brilliant at that as well. Frost hasn't had the kind of time that Tom had to perfect his trade just yet. I think people really under estimate how extremely intelligent Tom was.
I don't and every coach since reminds me of it

Tom was always thinking a series or two later in his play calling setting things up with little nuances seeing how one defender reacted to a play. The man was brilliant. In addition given some of the things I've heard, he had nearly a photographic memory.
TO was incorporating a ton of spread elements by the end of this tenure. We actually had a modern spread running offense 25 years ago. TO was always and innovator and ahead of his time.

I went to a convention dr. tom spoke at a few years back, and he said it was insane Nebraska fans want to win every game...and he was looking directly at me when he said it...

now I understand I was just 1 face in a crowd, but it was kinda weird hearing him say that and looking directly at me. because maybe I grew up as him, my dad and my minister being guys you really looked up to.

and I'm thinking, hey all your winning in the 70's.80's & 90's kind programed me to think that way.

I wasn't programed to think, big ten, grant money, 1st, NU football 2nd

I went to a convention dr. tom spoke at a few years back, and he said it was insane Nebraska fans want to win every game...and he was looking directly at me when he said it...

now I understand I was just 1 face in a crowd, but it was kinda weird hearing him say that and looking directly at me. because maybe I grew up as him and my minister being guys you really looked up to.
He probably knew your posting history on the message boards. cue the creepy music. Bo hired people to monitor and attempt to direct this message board. Jamrog was on here routinely as well. I wouldn't doubt that operation was known to Tom. He was the AD after all.

He probably knew your posting history on the message boards. cue the creepy music. Bo hired people to monitor and attempt to direct this message board. Jamrog was on here routinely as well. I wouldn't doubt that operation was known to Tom. He was the AD after all.

So you are saying they do, or did really read our suggestions here?

Refreshing!

Reactions: dinglefritz
We have the personnel and the coach to teach it. Why not give it a shot from the I-formation here and there? Iowa lacked speed on the edge which would have been eaten alive with an option game.

What tells you we have the coach to teach it? Because he ran it nearly a quarter century ago? Did he teach the OL foot positioning and blocking techniques? Did he teach the FB how to execute the dive, or block? Did he teach TE/WR’s how to block, or how to sell the option pass?

Frost and his staff can’t get these guys to execute an offense they have coached for 5+ years and specifically for 3 years here. Thousands upon thousands of reps and we still struggle with execution of what we’ve learned, but sure, some different drawings on a sheet of paper will magically fix everything. Disregard the fact that we tried it with Solich who had multiple decades under TO and still failed after recruiting went downhill.

A family member met Tom ONE time at a farm meeting. He spoke to him for just a few moments. A few years later my family member was getting on a plane and passed Tom in the aisle. Tom greeted him by his first name.... The guy was brilliant.

I have a similar story. I saw TO at an event a couple Summers ago in Lawrence, KS. He was amazing, funny, insightful, held the room like he did 30 years ago. I introduced myself to him after the event and he remembered me, my dad and my HS football coach. Which is absolutely insane. My dad walked on for one year in the 70’s and I received one or two phone calls asking if I wanted to walk on over 20 years ago. Either the man has an amazing memory or he is an amazing poker player (probably both).

Tom was so brilliant he wanted to ban alcohol sales on Sunday....and make it illegal to bet on sports

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Frost and his staff can’t get these guys to execute an offense they have coached for 5+ years and specifically for 3 years here. Thousands upon thousands of reps and we still struggle with execution of what we’ve learned, but sure, some different drawings on a sheet of paper will magically fix everything. Disregard the fact that we tried it with Solich who had multiple decades under TO and still failed after recruiting went downhill.
As DeAngelo Evans said, Osborne played chess, while Solich was playing checkers. Judging by his press conferences, Frost is playing "Sorry" :eek:

You lost me at “we have the coach to teach it”.
He literally suited up to teach it at UCF. The guy went from being a mediocre west coast offense QB to being an elite option QB in two years. The current offense just doesn't work with the personnel. Our three scholarship QBs are better suited for the option than the current offensive scheme.

He literally suited up to teach it at UCF. The guy went from being a mediocre west coast offense QB to being an elite option QB in two years. The current offense just doesn't work with the personnel. Our three scholarship QBs are better suited for the option than the current offensive scheme.

He ran it in practice at UCF to simulate Navy, that doesn’t mean he can teach it, or even more importantly, effectively base his entire offense around it.

With that said, we did run it some vs OSU in 2018 with success as a change of pace.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I have a similar story. I saw TO at an event a couple Summers ago in Lawrence, KS. He was amazing, funny, insightful, held the room like he did 30 years ago. I introduced myself to him after the event and he remembered me, my dad and my HS football coach. Which is absolutely insane. My dad walked on for one year in the 70’s and I received one or two phone calls asking if I wanted to walk on over 20 years ago. Either the man has an amazing memory or he is an amazing poker player (probably both).
his short term memory is fading like it will for all of us but his long term memory at this point is still good. He connected so well with people. I think he made some bad decisions and his shadow no doubt hurt Husker football after he retired, but nobody can argue with what he meant to Nebraska or how intelligent the guy was. Nobody will ever measure up to Husker fans.

I will agree with you on the personnel, but I’ll wait to see if Frost’s teaching ends up translating to the current personnel. Not gonna lie - I’m not very impressed in his third year, but time will tell.

Teams don’t run the option anymore because P5 defenses are too fast and strong now. That’s exactly why the NFL can’t run it.
This makes me laugh every time I see it brought up. Obviously people who want it have no idea how big & fast defenses are today at the P5 level. If it worked teams would do it. I’m not trying to pick on anybody or boast, but I played (for 1 year) defense for a college team that ran the option and P5 level defenses ate it up. When you have the best players in the country you can do well with it, but the best players aren’t going to a school that runs the option anymore. Period.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Teams don’t run the option anymore because P5 defenses are too fast and strong now. That’s exactly why the NFL can’t run it.
This makes me laugh every time I see it brought up. Obviously people who want it have no idea how big & fast defenses are today at the P5 level. If it worked teams would do it. I’m not trying to pick on anybody or boast, but I played (for 1 year) defense for a college team that ran the option and P5 level defenses ate it up. When you have the best players in the country you can do well with it, but the best players aren’t going to a school that runs the option anymore. Period.
Tell that to the 80's and early 90s Miami squads or tell those 80s and 90s Florida State squad that they weren't anywhere near as fast as they are today and so was our 95 squad. Those teams were every bit just as fast as any of these teams today so your comment about the option is an epic fail as speed is speed, no matter what generation. By the way, that 95 squad was every bit as strong or stronger as/than any team today. Keep trying little fella, I got faith in ya. Maybe one day you'll get it, and then again maybe you won't. Keep your head up, I'm rootin for ya walk On!

Last edited:
Tell that to the 80's and early 90s Miami squads or tell those 80s and 90s Florida State squad that they weren't anywhere near as fast as they are today and so was our 95 squad. Those teams were every bit just as fast as any of these teams today so your comment about the option is an epic fail as speed is speed, no matter what generation. By the way, that 95 squad was every bit as strong or stronger as/than any team today. Keep trying little fella, I got faith in ya. Maybe one day you'll get it, and then again maybe you won't. Keep your head up, I'm rootin for ya walk On!
Keep your head up GA. Giant Asshole

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT