ADVERTISEMENT

The one problem we MUST fix

For the X & O's people, what should the O-line (Piper in particular) have done on this play? Adrian's 71 yard run could easily have been a 10 yard sack due to the free run up the middle the linebacker had. Facing 4 linemen and a LB standing to the right of Jurgens, there was a big gap in the D front between Jurgens and Piper. A linebacker (#2) was in this gap a couple yards back. At the snap Piper immediately looked outside to the D tackle, and #2 shot the gap untouched. The DE who the tackle (Corcoran I assume) was to engage dropped back in coverage, Piper tried to recover but was way too slow, Corcoran engaged the D tackle who immediately shed his block and was in the backfield as well. So our biggest run of the day resulted from horrible blocking by the o-line. I know that's why teams fear running qb's - they can turn busted plays into big gains. But that's not something we can rely on against better teams.

Even worse, after watching it again, #2 had made a couple steps forward trying to time the snap, and we still ignored the fact that he may be blitzing.

Without knowing the blocking scheme that was for that play, gap vs man to man, its hard to know. In a noback, I’d guess it should be gap responsibility. Looks like Piper didnt have anyone in his gap, so he went to help with the Tackles gap, and the LB blew right by him.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Without knowing the blocking scheme that was for that play, gap vs man to man, its hard to know. In a noback, I’d guess it should be gap responsibility. Looks like Piper didnt have anyone in his gap, so he went to help with the Tackles gap, and the LB blew right by him.
One thing I think people overlook in football players is their vision and the ability to respond quickly to a visual stimulus. I know people make fun of the "quick blinker" comment by Verdusco but it is in fact a part of being a good football player. Some RBs are able to see creases quickly and make that cut while others don't seem to be able to do that. The game is extremely fast at the college level and it may be that Piper just isn't able yet to recognize a blitzing linebacker to pick him up.

Some QBs seem to have a sixth sense or eyes in the back of their head to recognize and be able to evade a pass rusher. I would expect college lineman to have that same variability in their ability to see rushers out of the periphery of their eyesight. I think it was Zatechka on 590 a few days ago that said that he thinks our O linemen are thinking too much and are too slow to react. Piper has not really played all that much college football so some problems for him and our tackles should be expected. They're just babies as far as P5 football goes. People wonder why OSU is having issues with their defense. It's called having to plug young players in every year to replace guys who left for the NFL. Now OSU has lost the QB of their defense.

For the X & O's people, what should the O-line (Piper in particular) have done on this play? Adrian's 71 yard run could easily have been a 10 yard sack due to the free run up the middle the linebacker had. Facing 4 linemen and a LB standing to the right of Jurgens, there was a big gap in the D front between Jurgens and Piper. A linebacker (#2) was in this gap a couple yards back. At the snap Piper immediately looked outside to the D tackle, and #2 shot the gap untouched. The DE who the tackle (Corcoran I assume) was to engage dropped back in coverage, Piper tried to recover but was way too slow, Corcoran engaged the D tackle who immediately shed his block and was in the backfield as well. So our biggest run of the day resulted from horrible blocking by the o-line. I know that's why teams fear running qb's - they can turn busted plays into big gains. But that's not something we can rely on against better teams.

Even worse, after watching it again, #2 had made a couple steps forward trying to time the snap, and we still ignored the fact that he may be blitzing.
For the O line rules for blocking I have been part of, it starts in the middle. The center should make his call, that's why you often see them point someone out or identify them with a verbal center. Piper should have been told to watch the backer, be responsible if he comes, if not, he chips or doubled with the tackle.

I watched this play over and over and saw the same thing. Piper either didn't hear or didn't know. Every coach will tell you that you have to protect the middle.

To be fair, there were a couple of good blocks to the right that helped spring this.

For the O line rules for blocking I have been part of, it starts in the middle. The center should make his call, that's why you often see them point someone out or identify them with a verbal center. Piper should have been told to watch the backer, be responsible if he comes, if not, he chips or doubled with the tackle.

I watched this play over and over and saw the same thing. Piper either didn't hear or didn't know. Every coach will tell you that you have to protect the middle.

To be fair, there were a couple of good blocks to the right that helped spring this.
Good point about the right side blocks.

And you’d think the guy they ended up doubling would have been stopped, but nope, he wasn’t that far behind the blitzing backer

I was looking for line calls, but didnt see much, other than the tackle raising his arm, and possibly the center. Couldnt quite tell.

And you’d think the guy they ended up doubling would have been stopped, but nope, he wasn’t that far behind the blitzing backer

I was looking for line calls, but didnt see much, other than the tackle raising his arm, and possibly the center. Couldnt quite tell.
Thing is they never even doubled him. Piper was eyeing him as backed up to pass block, then turned inside after the blitzer shot by him. Corcoran attempted to block him, but was quickly shed. Piper didn't get a hand on anyone initially.

They should already know what their responsibilities are, Piper shouldn't need to be told what to do. The worst teams I've been apart of talked a lot and had no clue what they were doing. The best teams I've been apart of hardly talked at all because we already knew what each guy was going to do.

But it wasn't and that is football.... We all agree our line sucks dick, but guess what, athletes make plays all of the time.

I’m telling y’all frost has been saving the “good plays” that score touchdowns for this game! Can’t wait for Scott to unlock the file cabinet and reveal then to our O

Piper seems to be the name that keeps popping up when the O line's shortcomings are discussed. No doubt that showed up on game video. Hopefully the problem is fixed by Saturday. It would seem that he might not be ready yet.

They should already know what their responsibilities are, Piper shouldn't need to be told what to do. The worst teams I've been apart of talked a lot and had no clue what they were doing. The best teams I've been apart of hardly talked at all because we already knew what each guy was going to do.
So then how do you know a RB wasn't supposed to pick up the LB coming up the middle? You don't.

There are always line calls as D teams change fronts and try to disguise blitzes. It's part of the game. When we're these teams you were part of? 20's?

So then how do you know a RB wasn't supposed to pick up the LB coming up the middle? You don't.

There are always line calls as D teams change fronts and try to disguise blitzes. It's part of the game. When we're these teams you were part of? 20's?
I am 10000% sure a RB wasn’t supposed to pick up that blitzing LB. it was an empty backfield.

I am 10000% sure a RB wasn’t supposed to pick up that blitzing LB. it was an empty backfield.
It was a general response to oldjar about line calls and blocking assignments. Yes, on that particular play, there was no back, you got me there.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT