ADVERTISEMENT

The one problem we MUST fix

Our O line is the weak link on this time. When A.M. has a little time he is a nice QB. Pressured 47 0/0 of the time. We have 3 4 star backs that rarely have a hole to run through. What I don’t understand frost and Austin said they are 2 deep in the line. Yet nobody else is given a chance

Our O line is the weak link on this time. When A.M. has a little time he is a nice QB. Pressured 47 0/0 of the time. We have 3 4 star backs that rarely have a hole to run through. What I don’t understand frost and Austin said they are 2 deep in the line. Yet nobody else is given a chance
Frost also said the OL would be the teams's best group and the group he's most excited about during BIG 10 Media days. I don't believe anything the coaches say anymore. Part of the pressure rate is AM delayed slow decision making. So it's a combination of horrible OL coaching and horrible QB play and coaching.

While OL performance is the primary problem, another contributing factor is Adrian’s often slow trigger.
The slow decisions inflate the stat line.

I do recall OL play improving throughout the year under Austin in the past, but this is a relatively veteran crew even if they’re not 4-5 year players. So I’m not sure why they can’t be more ready out the gate.

We got an important stretch of games ahead, and I sure hope they can turn it around.

Play calling and coaching are the weakness. You have constant pressure due to down and distance. Calling running plays up the middle against a loaded box results in 3rd and 7 or 8, and then you're going to get pressure. Against Buffalo, you throw over the top and its 2 easy TD's. Quite simply we have a coach that creates issues with his poor playcalling, not putting players in positions to suceed.

We have OL guys grading out in the thirties and forties with the occasional fifties. You can not compete in big boy football until your OL consistently grades out in the sixties and seventies. If this is the best we have then we are in for another long season.
Good thing our special teams are once again the worst in the country or there would be more uproar over the poor OL coaching and performance.

Frost also said the OL would be the teams's best group and the group he's most excited about during BIG 10 Media days. I don't believe anything the coaches say anymore. Part of the pressure rate is AM delayed slow decision making. So it's a combination of horrible OL coaching and horrible QB play and coaching.

Do you have a link to that? I don't remember him saying that. The OL has been my biggest question mark on this team for a while and it's much worse than I even imagined.

Reactions: Anegada1
Do you have a link to that? I don't remember him saying that. The OL has been my biggest question mark on this team for a while and it's much worse than I even imagined.
It's out there somewhere, just get a complete transcript or video of his Q&A, one reporter asked him what position group he was most optimistic and excited about, Frost says OL.

• Wow
Reactions: headcard
Frankly as criticized as AM is he had some crazy nifty moves eluding Buffalos pass rush. And yes, worrisome for what’s yet to come in quality D

Ranked 76th in team recruiting rankings.. that's a serious problem for the future as well.
That's why Frost needs a 2 year extension today. Need to assure the recruits that Frost has a future at Nebraska. Otherwise they'll be told he's a lame duck and they'd be signing up to play for a coach they don't even know yet.

To be an 8-9 win team all you need is a good o-line. Our o-line is still a disaster. I'll accept Austin's resignation immediately upon completion. Need to get a stud that commands that position group. If your d-line is constantly going against one of the best o-lines in practice, look out come game day.

Heck put together a package NIL deal that specifically targets the best o-linemen and get them here now. Go get the best online coach and go. It's not rocket science. Even if it was, I'd figure that sh't out too.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
I think I read Frost wants the O Line to play passively and not attack the d linemen. That's gotta get to the O Line mentality.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Nebraska must - absolutely must - be able to run the football on Saturday, at least with SOME success. If they can’t, it’s going to be a very bad outcome.

Reactions: bshirt73
It's year four. How come this be an excuse?
It can't. Shoring up the offensive line as soon as possible was an imperative. We don't have the luxury of putting together a five-year plan and then hoping for the best.

Again, I hate to be a Callahan apologist, but he tried like hell to get anyone in here that might be able to do the job. Some flopped and some worked out such as Carl Nicks.

Is Frost working the portal or juco for olinemen?

Reactions: Sinomatic
All of the former Husker lineman living around Omaha and Lincoln are sitting on their hands right now. Once Frost is fired, they will miraculously appear and criticize Frost for his mishandling of the line. Id respect them more if they would come out with it before then.

From an article on SoonersWire:

"Martinez is the most pressured quarterback in the entire Power Five (45.7% pressure rate)"

This is all the more disturbing considering the competition we have faced.
"Pressured" has a lot to do with not being able to get rid of the ball soon enough, which is AM's problem.

That's why Frost needs a 2 year extension today. Need to assure the recruits that Frost has a future at Nebraska. Otherwise they'll be told he's a lame duck and they'd be signing up to play for a coach they don't even know yet.
2 year but change the buyout to next to nothing

So maybe Frost is trying to play mind games with having the OL pass block during running plays to try and confuse the opposing D. RollingLaugh
It's interesting you would say that. I've waited for 3 games to see if this "indicator" changed, and thus far it has not.
Just watch any 10 minute or so highlight film from the games this year and you will see: When Benhart is in pass pro, it is a scheduled pass play. When he is in line blocking stance, it will be a run, with the exception of a flare pass in the left flat to Toure, or a swing pass to a RB on the Benhart side of the formation.
There are also indicators from some of the other OL that are giving an early read, as to a likely run or pass play, the formation has made no difference.
There is such a tremendous lack of detail in this football team, it is easy to understand why they have stunk for 3+ years.
Unless NU is facing a Fordham or Buffalo, P5 teams will identify this early read and make it difficult for an offense with no running game.
Feel free to agree or disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT