ADVERTISEMENT

The next coach...

Yea we need to quit the 3 year revolving door and it’s hard to give this season a 3rd year because of the pandemic and I ‘m sure after the 2022 season we’ll be able to judge better if we need to make a Head Coaching change..
I agree. As many of us have pointed out on here over and over: Frost isn't going anywhere anytime soon. So we need to just put to bed all of this talk of firing him. For better or for worse, we are stuck with him.

Yea we need to quit the 3 year revolving door and it’s hard to give this season a 3rd year because of the pandemic and I ‘m sure after the 2022 season we’ll be able to judge better if we need to make a Head Coaching change..

So stop doing what Alabama did after Bryant until they came up with Saban. There are more examples. But hey let's keep winning 4 or 5 games a season because we do not want to change coaches every three years. Makes perfect sense.

He needs to eventually figure out his loyalty to his school he is coaching for or close friends he has hired to assist him in coaching...

This will be the true factor of his success here..

In my opinion Frost is slow in adjusting and bringing change but he does do it. He isn’t oblivious to things, he’s just slow to react. I do think he will bring in a new Defensive coordinator this off-season and will give up his play calling duties. Probably 2 years too late in my opinion.

Oklahoma went through this as well when Switzer left. 6 seasons under Gibbs, 1 year under Schnellenberger, and 3 years under Blake. The problem is knowing when enough is enough and then making the move to find the right fit for the program. Just seems to me that Frost is in over his head at this level as a head football coach. Pandemic or not, in the 3rd year we should be able to see improvement and right now there isn't any improvement.

In my opinion Frost is slow in adjusting and bringing change but he does do it. He isn’t oblivious to things, he’s just slow to react. I do think he will bring in a new Defensive coordinator this off-season and will give up his play calling duties. Probably 2 years too late in my opinion.
We hope , or he won't survive past five years I'd guess.

Oklahoma went through this as well when Switzer left. 6 seasons under Gibbs, 1 year under Schnellenberger, and 3 years under Blake. The problem is knowing when enough is enough and then making the move to find the right fit for the program. Just seems to me that Frost is in over his head at this level as a head football coach. Pandemic or not, in the 3rd year we should be able to see improvement and right now there isn't any improvement.

So Stoops is the man to take over?

So stop doing what Alabama did after Bryant until they came up with Saban. There are more examples. But hey let's keep winning 4 or 5 games a season because we do not want to change coaches every three years. Makes perfect sense.

Look I’m just as disappointed as anyone where our football program is right know and no question we should be better than this entering our 3rd year that is why he needs to make tough decisions next season but with the Pandemic season it’s not normal that we’re only going to be playing our 5 game of the season when the regular season should be over..

Now isn’t the time to Fire SF and give up when he has a lot of young talent and it’s up to him to develop them..

I don't think Frost is going anywhere anytime soon. He does have some serious questions to answer this off season. He isn't stupid but he is young and apparently takes some things for granted. I expect the AD will have a hand in helping Frost make some changes.

They can only be so patient for so long. It is one thing to have up and down seasons but we can't even have a single up season.

It is easy to blame the virus but that is a cop out. The play on the field is not good regardless. I could easily seen a major turnover in the coaching staff when off season evaluations take place. It could be a very unpleasant off season and who knows about transfers which I would expect to increase.

I would also assume Tom has been spending some time advising Scott. If I were Scott I would sit down with Tom and evaluate tons of film to see the tiniest details that Tom is famous for seeing. Sometimes you are too close to the situation.

Obviously Frost isn’t going anywhere soon. But let’s look at the past changes.

We probably made a mistake firing Solich, but TO’s last three seasons set a bar so high it was almost inevitable Frank would “fail.” (Same thing happened at UCLA after John Wooden.)

Callahan was such an off the wall hire, yet the guy could recruit players and he knows X’s and O’s. He didn’t do so well recruiting assistant coaches. He also wasn’t well liked by the fan base. Yet on hindsight I think he might have been OK with more time. He is certainly mentioned in high regard since his return to the NFL. He was an arrogant jerk who stubbornly stuck by friends/assistants, but maybe not more so than our current coach.

Bo won 9 or 10 every year but also lost a couple blowouts each year. I think his personality just didn’t allow him to survive. This isn’t the Woody Hayes, Frank Kush and Schembechler era and no other Power 5 school has hired him.

Riley was much too old and maybe even burned out by the time we hired him. Total mistake.

Frost had the one magical year at UCF but UCF had a boatload of speedy talent. Unfortunately for them their previous coach lost the team the year before Scott took over. Maybe we were deceived by that magical year.

So overall, I think we definitely were smart to dump Riley. I think a good case can be made that the others were dumped too soon. But now we find ourselves in a real mess if the local hero can’t cut it. We are now frequently mentioned as the flaky program with oversized ambitions and twenty years of flipping coaches.

Last edited:
No we don’t. I thought Frost had some chops. He is the same as Pelini minus the temper and Frost didn’t inherit any talent. Buddy coaching hires, stubbornness and relying on a system that doesn’t work is so spot on.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Man I hope your right. The DC is easy, just pick the best one you can find and roll. Hopefully the system change isn’t too severe so we won’t have the huge learning curve. The offense will be more interesting. Is Lubick capable of calling the plays? If not, there aren’t many guys out there that know this system, hello Mark Helfrich. Or is Frost willing to bring in a QB coach/play caller with a different philosophy and possibly shift the offense in a new direction?

Man I hope your right. The DC is easy, just pick the best one you can find and roll. Hopefully the system change isn’t too severe so we won’t have the huge learning curve. The offense will be more interesting. Is Lubick capable of calling the plays? If not, there aren’t many guys out there that know this system, hello Mark Helfrich. Or is Frost willing to bring in a QB coach/play caller with a different philosophy and possibly shift the offense in a new direction?

Frost's system and play calling seemed to work pretty well at UCF. Maybe, just maybe, it's something else?

I'll be really surprised if either of those things happens. Anything's possible, but I just don't see it.

Frost's system and play calling seemed to work pretty well at UCF. Maybe, just maybe, it's something else?
What do you think that is? Simply poor QB play? Coach Frost has been apart of some of the most prolific offenses in college football history. Yet, we can’t seem to move the ball right now with any consistency.

What do you think that is? Simply poor QB play? Coach Frost has been apart of some of the most prolific offenses in college football history. Yet, we can’t seem to move the ball right now with any consistency.

If I knew the answer, I'd be king of the world

So Stoops is the man to take over?

That's actually a great idea. Throw a boatload of cash at Stoops for a three-year contract, and give him full reign to hire his head-coach-in-waiting to be his assistant for that period. Take a huge leap in both recruiting and coaching.

Maybe they should have done that three years ago. Hey, it couldn't possibly worked any worse than the current situation.

At least I know what to get Scott Frost for Christmas:
746916.jpg

There's also a huge difference from playing in the American Athletic Conference and playing in a power 5 conference.

When ever it happens my preference for the next head coach would be a defensive minded coach/former DC and or a former offensive line coach. For one reason or another the Big 10 just chews up and spits out wide open offensive minded head coaches.

But fire coaches who win.

it's absolutely shocking that in year three, we are getting this kind of QB play. You look around CFB and you see Fresno St playing a Washington transfer who is tearing it up. You see a freshman at Coastal Carolina tearing it up. Meanwhile, we've probably completed less than 5 passes all year thrown more than 15 yards.

I don't really care who the coach is anymore. I don't have any faith that the next coach will do better than this one, or the last one, or the one before that. It's COVID and it's freaky (Indiana? Penn State? Michigan?) so I will remain optimistic for one more year. If we can't make it to a bowl game next year, we will start seeing recruiting suffer significantly, attendance suffer significantly, and when that happens you HAVE to fire the coach or you'll never recover. Because the only thing that sells a program to fans and recruits is hope.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Yeah you’re right the DC is easy. I preferably want an older/experienced dude who is ready to make change from day one. We’re already in year 3 of this crap so we need a turn key type of guy. As for the offense I’d hire Helfrich. He won’t be cheap but that’s fine. I’d demote Verduzco to an analyst role (that’s practically what he is) or cut ties all together. I’d keep Lubick for organization and to coach the wide outs. I like how you mentioned in another post that Frost can create and carry on the first drive but after that he needs to give it up to someone else and coach the team. We are becoming a laughing stock so I think Frost has no other option but to make changes. His back is literally against the wall.

is as popular in Nebraska as the backup QB. Man, do we love a good coaching search around here. 🤣
Well for now it is a mute point. Frost, for better or for worse, will be the coach next year. So little point in debating the subject right now IMO other than perhaps to release fan frustration.

it's absolutely shocking that in year three, we are getting this kind of QB play. You look around CFB and you see Fresno St playing a Washington transfer who is tearing it up. You see a freshman at Coastal Carolina tearing it up. Meanwhile, we've probably completed less than 5 passes all year thrown more than 15 yards.
I bought the Verdusco hype. I'm over it now. IMO, Frost needs to own coaching the QB position, let Verdusco go and hire a full time OC to call plays so he can manage the game on game days. Get Lubick down on the field with the WRs. JMO. When your QBs play this badly there is ONE guy who ultimately is responsible and that is your QB coach.

Well for now it is a mute point. Frost, for better or for worse, will be the coach next year. So little point in debating the subject right now IMO other than perhaps to release fan frustration.
That's really what this board is all about isn't it? Venting? I don't think Chinander is going anywhere either. That loss against Illinois isn't on our defense.

Reactions: bshirt73
That's really what this board is all about isn't it? Venting? I don't think Chinander is going anywhere either. That loss against Illinois isn't on our defense.
It most certainly was. How many times did we come up third and Chinander? They were moving the ball with ease in the first half and scoring on long drives. If the defense can't force a punt every once in a while, that's on them.

It most certainly was. How many times did we come up third and Chinander? They were moving the ball with ease in the first half and scoring on long drives. If the defense can't force a punt every once in a while, that's on them.
It's on the WHOLE team. IMO, the offense was the weakest weak link Saturday. Illinois did punt a 3 times. Our offense on the other hand had 3 interceptions and 4 fumbles with 2 lost. I will grant that the one lost fumble was not a fumble and at least one of the interceptions didn't really matter. Our defense was not good at all. Our offense was worse. That special teams blunder that doesn't show up on the box score was horrible. That ONE play largely is responsible for their small lead in yards per play. We had over 40 yards in negative offensive plays. Bad snaps don't show up either in the box score.

Reactions: bshirt73
ADVERTISEMENT