ADVERTISEMENT

The Nebraska program is currently more valuable than Oklahoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone's tuition go down with all this new found wealth?? Remember the AAU?? Fact is we don't fit here
Well then you just don't understand all the workings and important implications.

First, the athletic department contributes to the academic side of the school and provides scholarships because it earns money and is net profitable. That just isn't true of many football programs. The B1G provides a bigger financial payout AND important a more stable one.

Second, the athletic program draws in donations to the University system because, among other things, being on B1G TV broadcasts increases national exposure.

Third, probably the most important is the B1G affiliation goes way beyond athletic programs. It's also an academic and research group that is far, far better than the Big 12 in that area. More research dollars and academic opportunities are hugely important to the University and the State of Nebraska.

Those are just a few important reasons why B1G affiliation is so important to Nebraska.

Nebraska would never had gotten into the B1G if it weren't for the football program.

Heard all that before, whatevs. The B1G stabbed us in the back the minute we set foot in their door and has been doing it since.....and did anyone's tuition go down due to all this new found wealth?? AAU ringing a bell?? How many tens of millions did we have in the bank prior to joining the B1G and how much is enough and how much can you really spend. Look I get the academic side, sounds fantastic, but in the end I'm not sure our nationwide reputation as a academic institution really changed did it? It isn't like people started mistaking us for Stanford. I'd rather be somewhere we fit with a better program and closer to our old rivals, tradition I guess is what I'm saying. This move has been a disaster and this conference blows.

Reactions: regoratsginrom
Anyone's tuition go down with all this new found wealth?? Remember the AAU?? Fact is we don't fit here

Heard all that before, whatevs. The B1G stabbed us in the back the minute we set foot in their door and has been doing it since.....and did anyone's tuition go down due to all this new found wealth?? AAU ringing a bell?? How many tens of millions did we have in the bank prior to joining the B1G and how much is enough and how much can you really spend. Look I get the academic side, sounds fantastic, but in the end I'm not sure our nationwide reputation as a academic institution really changed did it? It isn't like people started mistaking us for Stanford. I'd rather be somewhere we fit with a better program and closer to our old rivals, tradition I guess is what I'm saying. This move has been a disaster and this conference blows.
OK, I get it. You just don't value the academic benefits.

OK, I get it. You just don't value the academic benefits.

We didn't move because of the academic side. If the money wasn't what it is, we would have stayed put, period. We sold out to the highest bidder and conveniently hang our hat on the academic side to rationalize the rest.

I could not care less about what Nebraska football is worth, it isn't like any of us fans see a single dime from this revenue, which is why I never understood why we were so excited about the move to the big 10 and all the additional money.

We might suck now, but our school is rich. Big whoop.

And then, after decades of stagnant wages a collapsing rural economy, the Revolution was sparked when Nebraskans realized that their beloved Huskers had put money ahead of championships 😂

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
We didn't move because of the academic side. If the money wasn't what it is, we would have stayed put, period. We sold out to the highest bidder and conveniently hang our hat on the academic side to rationalize the rest.
LOL no. You don't seem to realize that conference association decisions are made by academics and academic administrators.. The University of Nebraska is a higher education institution first and foremost - always has been from the date it was founded; always will be so long as it remains a taxpayer funded public institution.

The academics saw the hundreds of billions of future dollars streaming through the BTAA and jumped at the opportunity to grab a piece of that jackpot for education programs and the benefit of the 99% of the student population not engaged in athletics.

LOL no. You don't seem to realize that conference association decisions are made by academics and academic administrators.. The University of Nebraska is a higher education institution first and foremost - always has been from the date it was founded; always will be so long as it remains a taxpayer funded public institution.

The academics saw the hundreds of billions of future dollars streaming through the BTAA and jumped at the opportunity to grab a piece of that jackpot for education programs and the benefit of the 99% of the student population not engaged in athletics.

I understand we all hate this conference and the people running it but for some reason my reasons aren't valid.

Many of the above comments are what pop up on the OU board from time to time when the talk turns to joining the SEC for more cash, like A&M and Missouri did. All it takes is "look what happened to the Huskers" to shut down that rainbow fantasy stuff.

Many of the above comments are what pop up on the OU board from time to time when the talk turns to joining the SEC for more cash, like A&M and Missouri did. All it takes is "look what happened to the Huskers" to shut down that rainbow fantasy stuff.
Poor hiring and firing decisions put Nebraska in the position they are in. It Wasn’t moving to the big 10.

A B10 without OHio state , michigan, and penn state is no longer viable either. every conference is similar in that way. a handful of big boys and then everyone else.
the B10 west is not viable on its own.
It's also butts in front of the TV screens too. Big 10 has Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Philly, Pittsburg, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, DC, Baltimore and New York/New Jersey. A little different than DFW & Houston.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Poor hiring and firing decisions put Nebraska in the position they are in. It Wasn’t moving to the big 10.
OU was there 25 years ago. Then it hired Joe C. as AD and Stoops and things got a lot better in a hurry. But can Frost turn it around? Clearly had more HC experience than OU's Blake. But curious about the recruiting. Have the Huskers recruited as many Texas HS stars after the move the Big10? OU's lifeblood for 70 years.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Well then you just don't understand all the workings and important implications.

First, the athletic department contributes to the academic side of the school and provides scholarships because it earns money and is net profitable. That just isn't true of many football programs. The B1G provides a bigger financial payout AND important a more stable one.

Second, the athletic program draws in donations to the University system because, among other things, being on B1G TV broadcasts increases national exposure.

Third, probably the most important is the B1G affiliation goes way beyond athletic programs. It's also an academic and research group that is far, far better than the Big 12 in that area. More research dollars and academic opportunities are hugely important to the University and the State of Nebraska.

Those are just a few important reasons why B1G affiliation is so important to Nebraska.

Nebraska would never had gotten into the B1G if it weren't for the football program.
These were all just talking points ten years ago. Athletic revenue doesn’t hold a candle to research grants and means nothing to those writing the checks. The CIC is super nice for some additional student resources like library sharing and bulk licensing, but it doesn’t raise anyone’s academic merit or earn any extra research money for the university.

OU was there 25 years ago. Then it hired Joe C. as AD and Stoops and things got a lot better in a hurry. But can Frost turn it around? Clearly had more HC experience than OU's Blake. But curious about the recruiting. Have the Huskers recruited as many Texas HS stars after the move the Big10? OU's lifeblood for 70 years.
I call honestly say non of OU AD’s were as bad as Shawn Eichorst in hiring a head football coach..

True OU hired some people that were at one time part of OU program like Blake and Gundy, but they also hired a head coach who won a National title beating Nebraska winning it..

I thought Frost was going to be our answer and verdict is still out if he can accomplish turning this program around after Eichorst hiring Riley..

What are you talking about only the Pac12 followed along everyone said let’s play football and allow some attendance in games and play as many games as possible. Big 10 changed it’s schedule twice and still didn’t play a game till the end of October….
Nobody dared make a move u
I like the sentiment, but winning isn't everything. We won a lot for half a century, odds had to change. We could still be in B12 getting our butts kicked by OU, UT, OSU, KSU and bottom fed with KU for the past decade, so would losing poorer do us any better? We sure were not winning there, even against KU or TT. I'd rather that football moved the program up, so when we do start winning again, a LOT more has been gained. I've been away from NE for a decade, and since then Lincoln has grown at least 250%. Amazing. Good things are happening. Like HC TO said, do the work, and the winning will take care of itself. Broken, but not broke. So hopeful, not hopeless, with a jingle in the pocket and the whole school and city climbing higher. Wins will catch up, cause the work is ongoing. Having a better educ and more value HAS to attract better players.
it was absurd that the Nebraska media was trashing the big ten last year. You don’t bite the hand that feeds you. The big ten is the best thing ever to happen to the university

To the OP, more valuable to who? Faculty and college admins no doubt. But I wonder how the HS football 4 and 5 stars from California, Texas, Louisiana measure value.

To the OP, more valuable to who? Faculty and college admins no doubt. But I wonder how the HS football 4 and 5 stars from California, Texas, Louisiana measure value.
Winning is the most overrating thing about college sports. It’s not about winning. It’s about developing young men and women into future leaders. It’s about getting together as a community to root for a common cause. Winning doesn’t matter for a school like Nebraska. Nebraska will always be a champion and one of the best programs in the country. All thanks to the Big Ten!

Winning is the most overrating thing about college sports. It’s not about winning. It’s about developing young men and women into future leaders. It’s about getting together as a community to root for a common cause. Winning doesn’t matter for a school like Nebraska. Nebraska will always be a champion and one of the best programs in the country. All thanks to the Big Ten!
Champion of what? Good intentions? Wouldn't that include all colleges?

If winning is overrated how could the Huskers be life time "blue blood" status? isn't that based on winning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT