ADVERTISEMENT

The Nebraska program is currently more valuable than Oklahoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorax64

Dec 6, 2020
Pretty crazy, but shows winning is not that important. It’s about recruiting and fan interest.

Nebraska was smart enough to join the most prestigious/profitable athletic conference in the world.

Pretty crazy, but shows winning is not that important. It’s about recruiting and fan interest.

Nebraska was smart enough to join the most prestigious/profitable athletic conference in the world.
It's about being in the best FINANCIAL conference that pays out the most to members

How many have been to Norman? I have. In the 90s it wouldn't hold Lincolns jock strap. The whole area disappointed. We had been to Stillwater the year before so we drove to Stillwater after the game.
You ever drove through OKC. Norman's hardly noticeable. To this day.

Reactions: yunginsNU2

Winning and fan interest helps, but the bulk of Nebraska's value comes from the Big Ten TV deal.

The Big 12 has two massive brands in Texas and OU. But they are also hamstrung by virtually no impactful TV markets outside of Houston or DFW.

Yeah, Big ten is middle class and upper middle class. Big 12 is nice mix of mansions and trailer park.

Prestigious is getting a huge black eye only wanting to play within the conference in too many sports which hurts them in recruiting and competing…

The Big Ten is the most prestigious athletic conference in the world. Nebraska should be honored to be a part of it.

There was nothing honorable about the Big 10 conference in last years sports season..The commissioner and majority of presidents failed the conference mightily and it was a embarrassment that plenty of the schools didn’t want to compete in football…

How many have been to Norman? I have. In the 90s it wouldn't hold Lincolns jock strap. The whole area disappointed. We had been to Stillwater the year before so we drove to Stillwater after the game.
You ever drove through OKC. Norman's hardly noticeable. To this day.
Made a pit stop in Norman driving down to Dallas. Norman was small, hot, dusty, windy and smelled like cow shit. Not impressed at all. College Station is out in the middle of nowhere but a much cooler college town with great fans who hated Texass as much as we did. They bought beers and partied with us after NU beat them back in 2006. Taylor to Purify fade pass.

Last edited:
Being in the Big 12 Nebraska was sometimes labeled as a small hick town school in a cornfield but in reality Lincoln was the 2nd biggest city in the conference behind Austin. Most of the old Big 12 cities were not big towns. Norman, Lubbock, Stillwater, College Station, Boulder, etc...

Reactions: spencerhfd

Financial success has more to do with a big and passionate fan base. A great winning season on the other hand usually is a one-year deal and may make the fans more passionate that year but it needs to be sustainable passion to result in higher TV ratings (the biggest driver of wealth), pricier sold out ticket sales and big ongoing donations. In short, as I said at the beginning, it Football wealth comes down to a big and passionate fan base.

The problem with Norman is that it has lost it's identity, it is now basically south OKC due to it's proximity. They expanded west and now the hotels and restaurants are right on the I-35. Most people, when they go to a game there, only get into Norman proper when they go to the game itself. Then it is back to "south OKC"

Norman was a cooler town back in the day when there was still separation from OKC

Financial success has more to do with a big and passionate fan base. A great winning season on the other hand usually is a one-year deal and may make the fans more passionate that year but it needs to be sustainable passion to result in higher TV ratings (the biggest driver of wealth), pricier sold out ticket sales and big ongoing donations. In short, as I said at the beginning, it Football wealth comes down to a big and passionate fan base.
I tend to agree that it has to do with a Big Ten TV contract. Of course I don't see a link and the most recent list I could find was 202 and Nebraska was still behind OU. But that list was littered with Big Ten and SEC schools along with Texas and OU.

I miss the Big 8. Not the Big 12. Texass and their holier than thou bullshit destroyed the conference. NU, A@M and CU had the prestige and name to find other conferences for better or worse. The schools like KSU, ISU etc didn't have a choice but to worship at Bevos feet or hooves. Show me a version closer to the Big 8 sans Texass and I would be interested. Until then. **** Texass

Reactions: skerz13
I miss the Big 8. Not the Big 12. Texass and their holier than thou bullshit destroyed the conference. NU, A@M and CU had the prestige and name to find other conferences for better or worse. The schools like KSU, ISU etc didn't have a choice but to worship at Bevos feet or hooves. Show me a version closer to the Big 8 sans Texass and I would be interested. Until then. **** Texass
A Big 8/12 without Texas is no longer financially viable as a P5 conference in this age where TV contracts drive the college football world. If Texas ever leaves the Big 12, the conference collapses or becomes a Mountain West type conference. Just not enough of a population base without Texas to sustain a huge TV contract in the future. And the Big 12 midgets know that they are beholden to Texas and must lick its boots to survive.

I have no love for Texas (quite the opposite) but that's just the reality of it.

Reactions: dpnavy
A Big 8/12 without Texas is no longer financially viable as a P5 conference in this age where TV contracts drive the college football world. If Texas ever leaves the Big 12, the conference collapses or becomes a Mountain West type conference. Just not enough of a population base without Texas to sustain a huge TV contract in the future. And the Big 12 midgets know that they are beholden to Texas and must lick its boots to survive.

I have no love for Texas (quite the opposite) but that's just the reality of it.
Ya. I know. It's all about money and mega conferences now. Too bad. Just try to win in the Big 10 and collect our cash. Best we can hope for.

Reactions: huskerfan66
There was nothing honorable about the Big 10 conference in last years sports season..The commissioner and majority of presidents failed the conference mightily and it was a embarrassment that plenty of the schools didn’t want to compete in football…
Because the conference has the interest of the student athletes in mind. Notice how the other conferences leaned on the big ten to make the first move. That’s because the big ten has the smartest and most powerful administration

Because the conference has the interest of the student athletes in mind. Notice how the other conferences leaned on the big ten to make the first move. That’s because the big ten has the smartest and most powerful administration
What are you talking about only the Pac12 followed along everyone said let’s play football and allow some attendance in games and play as many games as possible. Big 10 changed it’s schedule twice and still didn’t play a game till the end of October….

that makes the b12 midgets just like nebraska then, nebraska couldn't survive in a conference without major programs in it.

A B10 without OHio state , michigan, and penn state is no longer viable either. every conference is similar in that way. a handful of big boys and then everyone else.
the B10 west is not viable on its own.

A B10 without OHio state , michigan, and penn state is no longer viable either. every conference is similar in that way. a handful of big boys and then everyone else.
the B10 west is not viable on its own.
Except you had to name 3 schools instead of one. And that's the point, the B1G is less dependent on one single dominant school for its fate. We can complain about the quality of football or historical transgressions but those are different discussions. The B1G is powerful because it has a footprint in a highly populated region with passionate fans. The Big 12 is not, it has Texas and that's it. Oklahoma may have passionate fans but it's not a big population center.

that makes the b12 midgets just like nebraska then, nebraska couldn't survive in a conference without major programs in it.
Yes for sure, and that's why Nebraska is so very fortunate to have joined a stable B1G when it did.

I could not care less about what Nebraska football is worth, it isn't like any of us fans see a single dime from this revenue, which is why I never understood why we were so excited about the move to the big 10 and all the additional money.

We might suck now, but our school is rich. Big whoop.

Last edited:
The Big Ten is the most prestigious athletic conference in the world. Nebraska should be honored to be a part of it.
I think the only people that think this b1g elites and those with their head in the sand. SEC is the big dog in athletics

Reactions: NikkiSixx
So the Huskers make more money, cozy up to the prestigious Big 10 elite while OU competes for the CFP every year. Looks like a fair trade to me.

And you only have to come to Norman every 10 years or so. Just bought property there after 48 years in California. Looking pretty nice to me.

I could not care less about what Nebraska football is worth, it isn't like any of us fans see a single dime from this revenue, which is why I never understood why we were so excited about the move to the big 10 and all the additional money.

We might suck now, but our school is rich. Big whoop.
Well then you just don't understand all the workings and important implications.

First, the athletic department contributes to the academic side of the school and provides scholarships because it earns money and is net profitable. That just isn't true of many football programs. The B1G provides a bigger financial payout AND important a more stable one.

Second, the athletic program draws in donations to the University system because, among other things, being on B1G TV broadcasts increases national exposure.

Third, probably the most important is the B1G affiliation goes way beyond athletic programs. It's also an academic and research group that is far, far better than the Big 12 in that area. More research dollars and academic opportunities are hugely important to the University and the State of Nebraska.

Those are just a few important reasons why B1G affiliation is so important to Nebraska.

Nebraska would never had gotten into the B1G if it weren't for the football program.

Reactions: dpnavy
I’d rather win.
I like the sentiment, but winning isn't everything. We won a lot for half a century, odds had to change. We could still be in B12 getting our butts kicked by OU, UT, OSU, KSU and bottom fed with KU for the past decade, so would losing poorer do us any better? We sure were not winning there, even against KU or TT. I'd rather that football moved the program up, so when we do start winning again, a LOT more has been gained. I've been away from NE for a decade, and since then Lincoln has grown at least 250%. Amazing. Good things are happening. Like HC TO said, do the work, and the winning will take care of itself. Broken, but not broke. So hopeful, not hopeless, with a jingle in the pocket and the whole school and city climbing higher. Wins will catch up, cause the work is ongoing. Having a better educ and more value HAS to attract better players.

Reactions: spencerhfd

The fact that some people are actually responding to you and taking you seriously suggests we belong back in the Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT