ADVERTISEMENT

The more things change the more they stay the same

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
Was just reading a letter from my late father. It was written while I was deployed. Dated November 23, 1993.

father boxes said:
At any rate, the Big Red have somehow managed to skate through the season, undefeated, and come up smelling like a rose. #1 in the coaches poll. Unbelievable. They certainly aren't as good as they were in previous seasons. I can't see them as any better than the 6th best team in the country.

If things go true to form, they will get knocked off by Oklahoma, and fall to about 8th. If not, we will get truly blitzed in the Orange Bowl by Florida State, or Notre Dame, or West Virginia.

The Notre Dame -Florida State game was unbelievable. Notre Dame played a fantastic game. And the Boston College-Notre Dame game was super unbelievable. The Irish didn't stop Foley, all day. What a hell of a quarterback.

And Michigan totally dominating Ohio State! Who would have believed it. And West Virginia whipping Miami? What a season!!

First off, be nice. He acted like any of us on occasion. We had been burned by Oklahoma many a times and who wasn't emotionally exhausted by the annual wuppings from the Florida schools. That being said, I love his passion for the game of football.

HA! He wrote this 3 days before we owned OU, 21-7 in Lincoln. I love that he was wrong! Look how tickled he is that Miami got wupped. Who doesn't appreciate a good Cane beat down.

My father sent me the OWH's Big Red package. Before you laugh, this was before the internet. This was gold when I was deployed. Every Sunday and game day paper was sent to me while underway.

I was blessed to be in port on January 1, 1994. We got the Armed Forces Network and I gave up sleep to watch the Huskers play Florida State for the championship. So, the game is ending just before 6 in the morning. It's time to go muster. Every last shipmate of mine gave me props for Nebraska playing so well. Even the Florida State fans. They knew they should have lost!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT