ADVERTISEMENT

The "Mickey Plus Mentor" Approach

mavsker

Sophomore
Jun 12, 2020
gbr tbh imo nfm
Been hearing people talk about this new idea basically hire Mickey as the HC alongside a mentor with HC experience who can mentor him. someone with experience as a head coach, things like clock management player personell game management and just be there as a resource.

ideas for who the mentor could be? I would love TO but not sure he has it in him unfortunately. Was thinking maybe someone like Turner Gill or someone like Jim Tressel if we could pull him.

Been hearing people talk about this new idea basically hire Mickey as the HC alongside a mentor with HC experience who can mentor him. someone with experience as a head coach, things like clock management player personell game management and just be there as a resource.

ideas for who the mentor could be? I would love TO but not sure he has it in him unfortunately. Was thinking maybe someone like Turner Gill or someone like Jim Tressel if we could pull him.
Or maybe you just watched what Benning said and ran with it.

This is one of the dumber ideas I've heard. Mickey is either HC material or he's not. It makes zero sense to hire a past his prime HC all so we can delay finding out if Mickey has it or not. I think a 2-7 record, if that's how it turns out and which is worse than Frost’s overall record, is a pretty good indication that he's not ready to be the head man and never will be.

No Turner.

I totally agree with this concept and like it or not it is definitely in play.

Reactions: mavsker

The old coach in waiting trick. Is it my turn yet? Is it my turn yet? No.

You have to wonder if that's something coach would go for. I mean, he got the reigns and then has to step back? Pride and all plus who knows might come calling for a head coaching job somewhere else. Laugh all you want but it may happen and it may be what coach prefers.

So will Mickey need to turn his TPS reports to this "mentor" Either he fails or succeeds. The team needs the coach to be the unquestioned leader. It would be total Nebraska to royally over complicate this.

IF-YOU-COULD-GET-ALL-YOUR-TPS-REPORTS-IN-TODAY-THAT39D-BE-GREAT-meme-21212.jpg

Reactions: HuskerLegion
I agree...but seems most in this thread dont want to admit it
If this is a reality then the AD has completely failed. Its 1 thing to bring in a proven HC and have MJ stay on as the WR coach while being mentored to possibly take over the HC job down the road. But the idea being talked about here is totally asinine.

So basically Nebraska football is the make a wish foundation for Mickey. We ignore that he has never had success other than a position coach because he played at Nebraska and that is all that matters. We should also give him 15 million a year and tell him he only has to work every other Wednesday. This weird Mickey cult is so laughably ridiculous. It is sad to see husker fans be this stupid. The good news is trev would never kneecap his alma mater by making such a terrible hire

Makes no sense for Nebraska's current situation. You hire a head coach you have confidence in as the permanent guy. We can't afford to be in the training ground business. Nebraska has suffered too long for the fans to be put through that situation and the B1G just isn't the place. There's absolutely zero guarantee if a guy isn't ready to be the head coach right now that he'll ever be that person.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Maybe Trev will hire someone old and experienced and Mickey will be named Head-Coach-in-Waiting.

Oh wait, programs don't do that anymore.
😂

Reactions: bshirt73
If Joseph were to be HC, I sure as shit hope Trev would shell out for experienced coordinators who can run their own shops. The success is going to come from better coaching and solid recruiting. MJ is just a few years younger than I am. If someone said something about mentoring I’d tell them where they could stick that idea.

didn't read this thread, it's silly on it's preface, and Damon Benning isn't really thinking his idea through.

I bet MJ has a private mentor or two. He isn't going to need one to show him how to be a HC, that is silly.

He does need 2 great coordinators who are also great recruiters.

He also needs a good plan for this conference long term on offensive identity.

Didn't read. Won't read posts from Scott frost's mom.

Just because people don't like it doesn't mean it's not a realistic possibility. It's as realistic as anything else that's been discussed. And the Nebraska administration hasn't exactly had a track record of making great decisions lately, this would just be one more terrible decision in a long line of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT