ADVERTISEMENT

The "Mickey Plus Mentor" Approach

Been hearing people talk about this new idea basically hire Mickey as the HC alongside a mentor with HC experience who can mentor him. someone with experience as a head coach, things like clock management player personell game management and just be there as a resource.

ideas for who the mentor could be? I would love TO but not sure he has it in him unfortunately. Was thinking maybe someone like Turner Gill or someone like Jim Tressel if we could pull him.
Nothing surprises me anymore…

Been hearing people talk about this new idea basically hire Mickey as the HC alongside a mentor with HC experience who can mentor him. someone with experience as a head coach, things like clock management player personell game management and just be there as a resource.

ideas for who the mentor could be? I would love TO but not sure he has it in him unfortunately. Was thinking maybe someone like Turner Gill or someone like Jim Tressel if we could pull him.
How often do these "coach in waiting" situations ever work out?

Reactions: dinglefritz
This will not work. Did not work out for Will Muschamp as a coach-in-waiting when Mac Brown was at Texas. And Muschamp had enough experience to take over from Brown, but it never happened.

We need a winning coach (Rhule, Aranda, not sure who it will be, or if MJ is retained as HC which most have said no to), and MJ and BB can keep their current positions provided the new HC retains them.

No Turner.
Like it or not Turner would be a better fit than some of the names I’m hearing. The only place he failed was KU. KU was in a much better place when Leipold took it over than when Turner took it over. I believe Turner would give us Pelini like results without the drama

Reactions: mavsker
we are a blue blood program in the richest conf and some are floating the idea of hiring a head coach who needs training wheels?
In some ways successful programs are already doing this by hiring experienced former head coaches and coordinators as analysts. Bama and LSU have both done it. Texas hired Patterson as an analyst. You get the old fart input without him having to grind all season long with the coaching.

IF Mickey’s the hire you almost have to hire very experienced people as coordinators or analysts. Call them mentors if you like.

Why is this so confusing for people? Michigan is currently doing this with Harbaugh who has been a head coach for a decade.

There is more to being a head coach than Xs and Os. A support system of veteran coaches who can amplify the strong qualities of a leader and assist with the deficiencies is what smart organizations do.

If I had my way you would get Aranda or Kiffin. They are not coming. We have a state with limited local talent, a poor roster, a S&C which needs a total rebuild, and a fan base that expects titles. People aren’t pumped for that.

Mickey is an elite recruiter, leader, and wants to be here. He needs to learn the other aspects while on the job so rather than him drown in them you bring in veteran help. It makes sense.

Reactions: mavsker
The mentor would need to be on staff as a coordinator. Maybe in this instance an OC who can assist MJ with the smaller nuances of the job. MJ has the big picture he wants, the ability to recruit, knows how to practice physicality, and understands his conference. He is lacking how to get all the coaches to do what he wants and enforce his vision. He needs help with the small items that only previous head coaching experience will bring. The previous head coaches knew the small stuff but sucked at knowing the conference and playing physically. Which side of the sword do you die on this time?

The mentor would need to be on staff as a coordinator. Maybe in this instance an OC who can assist MJ with the smaller nuances of the job. MJ has the big picture he wants, the ability to recruit, knows how to practice physicality, and understands his conference. He is lacking how to get all the coaches to do what he wants and enforce his vision. He needs help with the small items that only previous head coaching experience will bring. The previous head coaches knew the small stuff but sucked at knowing the conference and playing physically. Which side of the sword do you die on this time?
It wouldn’t have to be a coordinator. An analyst can sit in the meetings and be in his ear during games. The only dumb thing about the mentor idea is that somebody publicly discussed it.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Why is this so confusing for people? Michigan is currently doing this with Harbaugh who has been a head coach for a decade.

There is more to being a head coach than Xs and Os. A support system of veteran coaches who can amplify the strong qualities of a leader and assist with the deficiencies is what smart organizations do.

If I had my way you would get Aranda or Kiffin. They are not coming. We have a state with limited local talent, a poor roster, a S&C which needs a total rebuild, and a fan base that expects titles. People aren’t pumped for that.

Mickey is an elite recruiter, leader, and wants to be here. He needs to learn the other aspects while on the job so rather than him drown in them you bring in veteran help. It makes sense.
Michigan has had a huge turnover in assistant coaches.

Like it or not Turner would be a better fit than some of the names I’m hearing. The only place he failed was KU. KU was in a much better place when Leipold took it over than when Turner took it over. I believe Turner would give us Pelini like results without the drama
Turner didn't do so good at Liberty.

Turner didn't do so good at Liberty.
You better look again. If I remember correctly he won 3 consecutive conference championships before he resigned largely due a health problem his wife was having. He needed to reduce his family’s stress level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT