ADVERTISEMENT

The Medium article that I must have missed

DudznSudz

Senior
Feb 4, 2016

This piece does a pretty good job of detailing how Nebraska fell from being at the top of the college football world to being the middling, lost program that it is now.

Things I did not realize:

1.) Perlman was at least as much of a problem as that idiot Steve Pedersen. Nebraska fired two 9-3 coaches under his tenure. Looking back on it now, even someone like me who is usually pretty optimistic about the decisions being made regarding the program has to go "WTF..."

2.) The above is why very few really good coaches want anything to do with our program. We're already radioactive. This may hopefully change with Moos being in place, but it makes you wonder who we could get to replace Riley now.

3.) Was the Texas A&M game fixed? Did we get flagged for excessive penalties beyond what we should have in that game just because the Big 12 was pissed about us leaving?

4.) All bad things CAN be undone. We just have to make a great hire. We have the money, the tradition, and the ability to win big in a weak division. We just have to find someone willing to come here and really start over, accomplish a lot with very little right now, and light a fire under the asses of the players.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated, thanks all, GBR!

I wont even read an article like that. Harvey Perlman destoyed Nebraska football? Hindsight 20/20 revisionist bullshit. The guy that wrote this a Mel Gibson fan?

Reactions: CC_Lemming

This piece does a pretty good job of detailing how Nebraska fell from being at the top of the college football world to being the middling, lost program that it is now.

Things I did not realize:

1.) Perlman was at least as much of a problem as that idiot Steve Pedersen. Nebraska fired two 9-3 coaches under his tenure. Looking back on it now, even someone like me who is usually pretty optimistic about the decisions being made regarding the program has to go "WTF..."

2.) The above is why very few really good coaches want anything to do with our program. We're already radioactive. This may hopefully change with Moos being in place, but it makes you wonder who we could get to replace Riley now.

3.) Was the Texas A&M game fixed? Did we get flagged for excessive penalties beyond what we should have in that game just because the Big 12 was pissed about us leaving?

4.) All bad things CAN be undone. We just have to make a great hire. We have the money, the tradition, and the ability to win big in a weak division. We just have to find someone willing to come here and really start over, accomplish a lot with very little right now, and light a fire under the asses of the players.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated, thanks all, GBR!
My opinion is that I am not knowledgable enough on the topic to have a valid opinion

You say 9-3 like that's an accomplishment. That's a lucky side effect of playing 9 mediocre-to-bad teams per year. NU hasn't won a meaningful game since Stuntz to Crouch about 15 years ago.

Tell me, what has either of those coaches done since that indicates NU made a mistake in getting rid of them? (Hint: You can't say "won a MAC championship" because it seems he hasn't.)

The current coach sucking doesn't mean the former coaches were good.

"Eichorst approached Kyle Whittingham, Paul Chryst and Brett Bielema but was rejected by all three of them. This was all reported in the media."

Was the approach and rejection of Whittingham, Chryst and Bielema reported in the media? I remember Bielima saying he was contacted by Nebraska, but I don't remember hearing / reading anything about Whittingham or Chryst...

You say 9-3 like that's an accomplishment. That's a lucky side effect of playing 9 mediocre-to-bad teams per year. NU hasn't won a meaningful game since Stuntz to Crouch about 15 years ago.

Tell me, what has either of those coaches done since that indicates NU made a mistake in getting rid of them? (Hint: You can't say "won a MAC championship" because it seems he hasn't.)

The current coach sucking doesn't mean the former coaches were good.
Yea but its safe to say they were a LOT better than the current coaches so no reason to beat on them until we have something better to compare it too.

"Eichorst approached Kyle Whittingham, Paul Chryst and Brett Bielema but was rejected by all three of them. This was all reported in the media."

Was the approach and rejection of Whittingham, Chryst and Bielema reported in the media? I remember Bielima saying he was contacted by Nebraska, but I don't remember hearing / reading anything about Whittingham or Chryst...

I don't recall those being approached either....at least in a serious manner. Did they approach them about coaching in the 2.5 mil range and they said no thank you? How hard did they approach him when they had SE said he was locked onto MR as his top candidate for a long time and then hired him 10 days after the Pelini Firing.

Reactions: HuskerO
Yea but its safe to say they were a LOT better than the current coaches so no reason to beat on them until we have something better to compare it too.
Hard to say since they all walked into completely different situations when they became HC Nebraska. Solich walked into the easiest situation, then Pelini, then Riley.

Doesn't really matter though. Neither of the 3 were great coaches and if we want to be elite again none of the 3 should be coaches here.

Reactions: RedMyMind
I love the now overly simplistic and tired excuse of 9+ win coaches being fired. The relevant statistic is how did they perform against ranked or quality opponents? How many wins did the entire lot after T.O. manage against quality programs? How many of those were under Solich, who, it can be argued really did deserve more time? How many conf championships did those 9+ win guys bring home again?

We can talk about Frank and whether it is right or wrong. But Bo? Give me a break. Bo signed his own pink slip in great big meltdown letters.

My opinion is that I am not knowledgable enough on the topic to have a valid opinion
God, those are words rarely written and hardly ever practiced. Amen to you. In today's world, we don't need to be knowledgeable about a subject before we pipe in with opinions - calling people the "devil" and trying to understand motives while having no idea at all.

You win this Husker Board today for that comment.

I love the now overly simplistic and tired excuse of 9+ win coaches being fired. The relevant statistic is how did they perform against ranked or quality opponents? How many wins did the entire lot after T.O. manage against quality programs? How many of those were under Solich, who, it can be argued really did deserve more time? How many conf championships did those 9+ win guys bring home again?

We can talk about Frank and whether it is right or wrong. But Bo? Give me a break. Bo signed his own pink slip in great big meltdown letters.
When someone averages 10 wins a game, who is more likely to break through? That guy or some washed up has-been NFL coach or a career .500 guy?

Let's be honest about those nine win seasons that look not-so-bad in relation to this year's total meltdown. Nebraska plays in a very mediocre division. Both the Big 12 North and the Big 10 West are not full of powerhouse teams. Nine wins is nine wins, but the reason even those seasons left a sour taste in the mouths of fans was because we often got dominated by teams that were ranked in Top 25. In other words, even when we won nine games we were still largely irrelevant nationally.

Those 9 win seasons left us unranked and third in the West. Stellar

When someone averages 10 wins a game, who is more likely to break through? That guy or some washed up has-been NFL coach or a career .500 guy?

How have ANY of them done, .500 or otherwise, against quality opponents? Bo sucks right there with the rest of them. Bo's biggest grace was winning the easy games on his schedule. Something we can't say for Riley or Callahan. Bo was never anywhere near "breaking through" anything against quality opponents. He just didn't have it. He wasn't a good big game coach. His team were never prepared off the starting whistle.

As a Husker fan, you shouldn't be satisfied with ANYONE that has come after T.O. so far.

Harvey was in the middle of getting Nebraska away from Texas and into the Big 10. One thing he gets kudos for even if he screwed up most major decisions around athletic beyond that.

Frank should never have been let go. He won games, conference championship, major bowl, playedfor national championship. He greatly improved Ohio by the way.

How have ANY of them done, .500 or otherwise, against quality opponents? Bo sucks right there with the rest of them. Bo's biggest grace was winning the easy games on his schedule. Something we can't say for Riley or Callahan. Bo was never anywhere near "breaking through" anything against quality opponents. He just didn't have it. He wasn't a good big game coach. His team were never prepared off the starting whistle.

As a Husker fan, you shouldn't be satisfied with ANYONE that has come after T.O. so far.
There were times he did not compete, but let's not act like it was all the time.

In both Big XII Championships (UT and OU) we could have won.
We won our division three times under Bo.
He beat ranked opponents 11 times.

It wasn't TO standards by any stretch but he beat a lot more ranked teams and had a better winning percentage by far over ranked teams than Cally and Mike combined..

Last edited:
Bo was close when Suh was holding down the defensive front, leaving everyone else free to choke out opposing offenses.

But not ever since then.

Bo was adept at beating every team on the schedule that he had a talent edge over. Something Riley can't evendo.

Frank should never have been let go. He won games, conference championship, major bowl, playedfor national championship. He greatly improved Ohio by the way.
Right..........

This just in, Nick Saban to retire at the end of the year. Announced while Bama's AD is out of town. His successor? Burton Burns. Burton Burns to be the new Head coach at Alabama.

Plus, Bo's schedules during his tenure were more difficult than either Cally or Riley.

He had on average the 29th ranked schedule.

Mike has averaged 46th ranked schedule.

Cally had the 35th ranked schedule

Not a doubt in my mind that game was fixed. Roughing the QB on a sack when the QB never even threw the ball. How often do officials throw MULTIPLE flags for pass interference and then wave it off? Never seen it before or since. One must not forget Cotton getting sexually assaulted and then given a flag for his reaction to it.

There were times he did not compete, but let's not act like it was all the time.

In both Big XII Championships (UT and OU) we could have won.
We won our division three times under Bo.
He beat ranked opponents 11 times.

It wasn't TO standards by any stretch but he beat a lot more ranked teams and had a better winning percentage by far over ranked teams than Cally and Mike combined..

Yes, he was the best of a bad lot. When the bar is 1 inch high, we shouldn’t celebrate a coach that clears it 2 inches high. He also clearly trended downward over his tenure. His most success coming in his first few seasons. His record his last 3-4 was pathetic including 3 out of 4 bowl losses. He beat what, 2 ranked opponents in his last 3 years? Michigan and georgia?

Bo’s results the first few years versus the last were night and day different.

I agree with you that Bo is the best out of the last 3. We also have to have some standards where we trend the right way. Both our 9 win coaches were trending downward for the most part.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT