ADVERTISEMENT

The Line

Then let's have the conversation. Who would you have liked to have been in the rotation last year that wasn't? Which players specifically did you want to see action that didn't?
Crickets

I think they should have brought in someone who is at least 6 feet tall and has hair on his head. It's frankly silly to think the OL are getting the best instruction and demonstration from a (relative) midget with no hair.

I think they should have brought in someone who is at least 6 feet tall and has hair on his head. It's frankly silly to think the OL are getting the best instruction and demonstration from a (relative) midget with no hair.
RollingLaugh

Reactions: NikkiSixx

Yeah i'm fine with the midget thing, but a coach with no hair is what really annoys me. No way a bald dude can coach the OL.

This is one of your jokes, right? I want to make sure that you were making a funny before I post something I will later regret...

Reactions: NikkiSixx
1st, saying 10 lineman that can play doesn't mean playing them all. And B, wth are your percentages? Did you just pull random numbers our of your butt? And then state them like facts? And if we are at 80% after next year, how is there 30% left?

In closing, you confuse me.
I can answer the last part for you. He was referring to the the last 30% that brought it from 50% to 80%

Then let's have the conversation. Who would you have liked to have been in the rotation last year that wasn't? Which players specifically did you want to see action that didn't?
I care more about Cav playing the best give instead of him only playing a 5 man rotation. Since he has been here, there have been some questionable personnel moves:

Waiting until week 6 of 2015 before officially benching Chongo when Sterup was a much better run blocker and healthy by week 4.

Playing Utter in front of Thurston or Sterup at guard in 2015.

Playing Hahn in front Whittaker in 2016.
Handing the center job to Utter prior to 2016 and letting Thurston walk.

Not playing Decker in 2016 when Utter's effort level started matching his talent.

Playing the best five is not really the issue.

Reactions: nebcountry
I care more about Cav playing the best give instead of him only playing a 5 man rotation. Since he has been here, there have been some questionable personnel moves:

Waiting until week 6 of 2015 before officially benching Chongo when Sterup was a much better run blocker and healthy by week 4.

Not playing Decker in 2016 when Utter's effort level started matching his talent.

Is it plagiarism if you take exactly what Cornicator says and repost it in the same thread? Do you not have an original thought on the question you posed?

I guess I'll have to ask my question in a different way, do you have an original thought about who you would have wented to rotate in last year? A name? Just one?

Also, this really doesn't answer my question. (I guess Decker for Utter?) Cornicators post contradicts your OP in saying that the issue isn't rotation to build depth (like you stated), but instead poor/questionable personnel moves....

The reason why 'internet tough guys' as you call them (us?) responded with a negative tone is because it seems that you posed a question ('Anyone else concerned that our line coach will once again key on 5 guys and we develop no depth behind them?') that had an extremely obvious answer. There was no depth last year to sub in. We were playing walk-on sophomore at RT, a former walk-on at center and former 2 star at guard at one point this season. Clearly there was a lack of able bodies.

I would assume this would be obvious if you really thought about the question before posting it. Especially since you cannot come up with one original answer to who you'd have like to see rotated in last year after being asked the question three separate times (four of you include this post).

That being said, I agree with a lot of what Cornicator posted. At the beginning of the last two seasons I did some post game breakdowns of o-line play for the first couple games of each year. I was extremely critical of Chongo and Utter.

Reactions: timnsun

Nice, sometimes your posts should be printed in red. Thurston had some great performances, especially in comparison.
In the T O years they were always trying to find " swing players ", say a third O-tackle that could relieve, preferably on both sides. This would give players some rest ( setting up increased overall performance, especially late), while rewarding and developing talent. They admitted it wasn't easy, but worked it in. Some guys are just " gamers " ; I understand all the other challenges we faced on the line.
I remember Oklahoma's o-line methodically destroying us for 3-6 yards a play, Christian Peters was mostly a bench rider , Coach McBride responded to critics by saying he needed better understanding of the D and moves to play more. So as Oklahoma started another drive and could score a td that would put the game out of reach , they finally put in Peters. He absolutely blew up the O-line and we shut down Oklahoma. After the game, Coach McBride went straight to the mic and said he had been wrong - said he guessed when yo could throw the middle of the opponents O-line into the qb's lap, you could learn some of the semantics later ( class act, created a lot of laughter ) . My fear is coach Cav gets caught up in his beliefs and semantics; however, the attention is such, that one would believe he will have help with his decisions. GBR

I miss Christian Peters...his brother Jason Peters too. Jason Peters was a deadly combo for offenses with Grant Winstrom.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Is it plagiarism if you take exactly what Cornicator says and repost it in the same thread? Do you not have an original thought on the question you posed?

I guess I'll have to ask my question in a different way, do you have an original thought about who you would have wented to rotate in last year? A name? Just one?

Also, this really doesn't answer my question. (I guess Decker for Utter?) Cornicators post contradicts your OP in saying that the issue isn't rotation to build depth (like you stated), but instead poor/questionable personnel moves....

The reason why 'internet tough guys' as you call them (us?) responded with a negative tone is because it seems that you posed a question ('Anyone else concerned that our line coach will once again key on 5 guys and we develop no depth behind them?') that had an extremely obvious answer. There was no depth last year to sub in. We were playing walk-on sophomore at RT, a former walk-on at center and former 2 star at guard at one point this season. Clearly there was a lack of able bodies.

I would assume this would be obvious if you really thought about the question before posting it. Especially since you cannot come up with one original answer to who you'd have like to see rotated in last year after being asked the question three separate times (four of you include this post).

That being said, I agree with a lot of what Cornicator posted. At the beginning of the last two seasons I did some post game breakdowns of o-line play for the first couple games of each year. I was extremely critical of Chongo and Utter.

LOL yup it is! He said it well why rewrite it! And I knew it would annoy someone!

Alright, so last time I'll ask the question. Do you have an original thought on who you would have liked to see rotate in last year? I can't believe I've had to ask this for a fifth time.

And for the 5th time I will ignore your question!

And for the 5th time I will ignore your question!

For somebody claiming that they wanted adult conversation, it seems pretty childish to start a thread criticizing a coach and then refuse to answer a simple question to defend their critique.

For the record, I'm am fine with criticism of coaches as long as you have a reason or can defense your stance. People jumped on you because your OP was completely devoid of any critical thought. And when questioned, you didn't defend your position. Instead you whined about people making you out to be an idiot. And when further prodded, you quoted a post from somebody else that contradicts your original post. Are you still surprised that people are treating you, as you say in your own words, like an idiot?

Reactions: dinglefritz
LOL! I must have gotten under your skin, life is grand isn't it! I answered the question several times, once again I am not the coach and I don't know the players skills. That said I can't say who should or should not be playing. You on the other hand must be a coach and know everything about everyone on the team as it is clear that you have an opinion on who should or should not be playing. So have a good life and go pester someone that cares as I don't!

LOL! I must have gotten under your skin, life is grand isn't it! I answered the question several times, once again I am not the coach and I don't know the players skills. That said I can't say who should or should not be playing. You on the other hand must be a coach and know everything about everyone on the team as it is clear that you have an opinion on who should or should not be playing. So have a good life and go pester someone that cares as I don't!

That's rich. You start a thread. Want adult conversation, You call the coach out for not rotating OLinemen, don't directly answer a question. Then claim to not care.

Man, just man up and own it.

Now I'm really confused. You are the one that said that you're concerned that the coach will only key on five guys and not develop depth. I asked you who should they have rotated or played to develop that depth. You're the one making claims. I am just asking you to expand on your opinion. The real issue is that I'm not letting you off the hook for your lack of of ability to defend the what you stated.

That's rich. You start a thread. Want adult conversation, You call the coach out for not rotating OLinemen, don't directly answer a question. Then claim to not care.

Man, just man up and own it.

Thank you. I feel like I am taking crazy pills.

Reactions: timnsun
GS I was just jacking with you man! No need for crazy pills your fine lol! As far as the conversation goes some good stuff was presented and I have changed my opinion, you shared some good stuff and I actually appreciate your in point of view. Thanks for all the input folks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT