ADVERTISEMENT

The job interview continues!

I could see him canning Whipple if the offensive doesn't pick it up going forward.
I expect he would like to can Whipple now, but doesn't have anyone who could easily take over this late in the game. Mickey doesn't strike me as a guy who is happy with jet sweeps and empty backfields on 3rd and 4th and short, fumbling the victory formation, getting his buddy's kid (Thompson) crucified by not calling plays to take heat off him, etc. I expect Mickey also didn't like the comment about our defense not being the 86 Bears, goes against his us against the world mindset. When he fired Chinander he said something like, "Erik is a good coach, but he wasn't getting it done." Even the college football layman can see Whipple isn't getting it done.

If that were all there is to it, no coach would take a job in the north outside of OSU given the only other teams to win a natty in the north were Mich and Neb over 25 years ago.
Dude you don’t get it and never will. Sheesh some people are thick and are blind to Nebraska’s inherent weakness. A weakness that basically defines major college football relevance on a national scale, year in and year out. I break it down to a simple and natural variable but people hide and avoid reality. That is because the truth bothers them and acknowledging and/or accepting it is to painful and reality based.

I really want to overcome our huge hurdle but it would be a huge upset on a national scale And level in college football. Tom Osborne did it a good generation plus ago, but things are more difficult now. The conference media rights are just mind blowing now and those rights in a few years will equal our entire athletic budget from the late nineties.

We hugely benefit but so does our competition, many of whom don’t have the financial support from their fan bases. But they don’t have to in varying degrees to improve their football programs. Their regional talent dwarfs our region and our state isn’t producing much in regards to difference-makers. You know, the players who win championships. This trend is going on twenty years plus, besides kickers and punters.

Last edited:
Dude you don’t get it and never will. Sheesh some people are thick and are blind to Nebraska’s inherent weakness. A weakness that basically defines major college football relevance on a national scale, year in and year out. I break it down to a simple and natural variable but people hide and avoid reality. That is because the truth bothers them and acknowledging and/or accepting it is to painful and reality based.

I really want to overcome our huge hurdle but it would be a huge upset on a national scale And level in college football. Tom Osborne did it a good generation plus ago, but things are more difficult now. The conference media rights are just mind blowing now and those rights in a few years will equal our entire athletic budget from the late nineties.

We hugely benefit but so does our competition, many of whom don’t have the financial support from their fan bases. But they don’t have to in varying degrees to improve their football programs. Their regional talent dwarfs our region and our state isn’t producing much in regards to difference-makers. You know, the players who win championships. This trend is going on twenty years plus, besides kickers and punters.
Everyone knows this. It isn’t rocket science and been mentioned on here over as over again for years. It is literally all anyone talks about. Nowhere in the north regardless of radius is there talent to win natties on a regular basis. This isn’t going to have any bearing. Coaches that are natty level are waiting their turn for whatever school in the south wants them. They earn their stripes up here or lower level programs and go there.

Back in California I worked with a Vietnamese guy who had been a "boat person". I admired him a lot because when he got here he learned the language and embraced our culture including becoming a sports fanatic. He followed college and pro football religiously. He told me no northern teams would ever be good again because all the kids wanted to play in the south because it is warm. I asked him why Ohio State, Cincinnati and Michigan were doing well (at the time) and he said "That's different". He said Nebraska would never be good again because "nobody lives there". I told him there are 120,000 people in Norman, 42,000 in State College (in the middle of nowhere), 102,000 in South Bend, and 170,000 in Eugene (in the middle of nowhere). He said, "That's different."

It was a little frustrating explaining to an immigrant that it is a myth NU can't be good because of perceived "challenges" (weather, population, demographics, etc.). It is really frustrating trying to explain it to people who grew up here.

Back in California I worked with a Vietnamese guy who had been a "boat person". I admired him a lot because when he got here he learned the language and embraced our culture including becoming a sports fanatic. He followed college and pro football religiously. He told me no northern teams would ever be good again because all the kids wanted to play in the south because it is warm. I asked him why Ohio State, Cincinnati and Michigan were doing well (at the time) and he said "That's different". He said Nebraska would never be good again because "nobody lives there". I told him there are 120,000 people in Norman, 42,000 in State College (in the middle of nowhere), 102,000 in South Bend, and 170,000 in Eugene (in the middle of nowhere). He said, "That's different."

It was a little frustrating explaining to an immigrant that it is a myth NU can't be good because of perceived "challenges" (weather, population, demographics, etc.). It is really frustrating trying to explain it to people who grew up here.
It’s one of the reasons I would back hiring Mickey. He can pull kids out of more populous areas

Nebraska hires the right coach they will be back to winning 9+ games. No program is dead. Kansas was the pinnacle of a dead program; they hired the right guy and in year 2 are 5-1(and barely not 6-0). Nebraska has a bigger football budget, better facilities and a better football fanbase than Kansas or pretty much anywhere else.

Anybody saying Nebraska is dead and never will be back is an idiot who shouldn't be taken seriously. Hire the right coach and we will at minimum get Pelini results.

It is funny people think there is no interest in coaching here. The main reason for that is we fired 2 9+ coaches. We just let a guy coach 5 losing seasons. This is a non-factor now. This will be an attractive job for many candidates. Here are some reasons why:

- infrastructure, support, facilities, recognition, rabid fan base, B1G.
- NIL, portal: can get good players in regardless or radius. It is an equalizer across the country.
- Expanded playoffs. Much more attractive option for getting to the big games. Makes it more possible to win in the North.

These makes Neb much more attractive for some coaches because they won’t have to start from ground zero.

Schiano has been notorious for pulling shit like that throughout his career even in the NFL which isn't illegal, it's just a bum move. That victory formation was blown up by their NG as he tried to punch the ball out which he did successfully while Hixson was snapping the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
I expect he would like to can Whipple now, but doesn't have anyone who could easily take over this late in the game. Mickey doesn't strike me as a guy who is happy with jet sweeps and empty backfields on 3rd and 4th and short, fumbling the victory formation, getting his buddy's kid (Thompson) crucified by not calling plays to take heat off him, etc. I expect Mickey also didn't like the comment about our defense not being the 86 Bears, goes against his us against the world mindset. When he fired Chinander he said something like, "Erik is a good coach, but he wasn't getting it done." Even the college football layman can see Whipple isn't getting it done.
I'm not ready to say that Whipple needs to go. But if MJ gets the job, I don't see him keeping him. He may be a good OC within a certain system, but I doubt his system matches MJ's mindset.

Sipp also had an article on how we need to hire Joseph this AM. In his old job he was very much a mouthpiece for the AD. Very interesting.
He was trending towards being a head coach somewhere. Really the only knock on him is that he is an unknown in this capacity. What he has done so far is impressive. I would be excited for him.

I crapped all over his decision to switch defensive coordinators as being meaningless, but it paid off big time. Our players play like they expect to win again. He is humble, well spoken, no bs, and gets things done quickly. He seems like sort of a natural.

I hope the rest of the season goes well for him because that is ultimately what it will depend on.

He was trending towards being a head coach somewhere. Really the only knock on him is that he is an unknown in this capacity. What he has done so far is impressive. I would be excited for him.

I crapped all over his decision to switch defensive coordinators as being meaningless, but it paid off big time. Our players play like they expect to win again. He is humble, well spoken, no bs, and gets things done quickly. He seems like sort of a natural.

I hope the rest of the season goes well for him because that is ultimately what it will depend on.
For me Mickey seems to have “it”. I know he’s not been a P5 coach. As a top dog at John Deere’s head office told me at a Harvard football game “you hire smart people to be managers regardless of their degree”. Mickey IMO appears to be the most functionally smart guy we’ve had at the top since Tom.

Like I’ve said before and oldjar did like it, but if he can gets us bowl eligible I think he deserves getting the gig..I think there is 3 wins and beating Wisky and Ioway he would have accomplished something that Riley and Frost couldn’t the past 7 years..

Like I’ve said before and oldjar did like it, but if he can gets us bowl eligible I think he deserves getting the gig..I think there is 3 wins and beating Wisky and Ioway he would have accomplished something that Riley and Frost couldn’t the past 7 years..
By the Frost standard, if Joseph wins two more games a massive extension with millions of dollars should rain down on him. :D

Oh Frost. Always good for a laugh.

If it isn’t Mickey (no opinion one way or the other unless it’s Meyer), then my hope is that they’ll bring someone in who will retain he and Bush. That will be pretty clutch to keep the buy in from players currently here. Thompson and Palmer are still underclassman, and damn I’d love to see them stick around. That being said…I have a feeling about MJ. Dude knows football and I’m sure he’ll present a plan to TA about who he wants to bring in. But…on to Purdue.

If Mickey can get us to a bowl, I think he should have the job. As others have mentioned he does seem to have that "it" factor. Gonna be a tough chore though getting to .500. This weekend's game is huge for him.

ADVERTISEMENT