ADVERTISEMENT

The job interview continues!

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
Congrats to Coach Joseph!

I don’t think our offensive line is good enough to win pretty, but Joseph is finding ways to win ugly. I will take it.

I thought this looked like a 1 win season when Frost was canned. I was wrong. Having a real head coach again is nice.

I don’t know what horrors remain for us—please don’t ever fumble in victory formation again—but a win is a win.

I don’t think our offensive line is good enough to win pretty, but Joseph is finding ways to win ugly. I will take it.

I thought this looked like a 1 win season when Frost was canned. I was wrong. Having a real head coach again is nice.

I don’t know what horrors remain for us—please don’t ever fumble in victory formation again—but a win is a win.
Haven’t had to practice that one much… lol hoping we see more if this formation!

Yes and I'm very happy for him. But he just got to the part of the job interview where the interviewer asked "Do you still beat your mother?" and he said "Yes, because she is a slut". Doesn't disqualify him from the job, but hopefully the interview keeps getting better as we go along.

Love this mindset from the head man:

I’m here for it. Let’s find a way to win a few more and get to a bowl game. If the West is won, even better….but I just want to continue to play in games that matter. Oh, and not be a national embarrassment.GBR.
6 games left! It would be a huge accomplishment to get bowl eligible after the nightmare start. I wouldn’t count us out!

The dumbest thing Nebraska could do is make an emotional decision and give Joseph the job. It would extend our football depression years into the future. This is not the time for projects. Pony up and get a proven winner.
I don’t think the job is his by any means. He is just trying out for it and doing well so far.

Ponying up for a proven winner is what we did with Frost.

I don’t think the job is his by any means. He is just trying out for it and doing well so far.

Ponying up for a proven winner is what we did with Frost.
The job isn't his and shouldn't be. There is no way they hire an experiment after 5 and very possibly 6 straight losing seasons. I have faith in Trev to make the right call. He isn't going to go cheap.

As for Frost, he was the right hire at the time. Sometimes things just don't work out even when you land your target. The extension was what was extremely stupid. Frost was 8-13 overall and 4-5 in year 2 when Moos thought it was a good idea to give him more money. He hadn't proven anything at that point. Just idiotic.

It’s still plenty early to make any decisions on the head coaching job.

I think we all need to understand that there are plenty of coaches out there with more experience, better resumes and bigger accomplishments than Mickey.

But that doesn’t automatically mean that they would be more successful as the head coach in Lincoln.

Sometimes it’s about who is the best fit. And the person who is the best fit a lot of times ends up being the most successful.

If this team keeps winning and getting better, I think it’s going to be pretty tough to convince everyone that there’s a need to bring in a new coaching staff.

You don’t mess with success.

It's over for Mickey. Like I said from the beginning, we need to move on to real head coaching candidates.

It's over for Mickey. Like I said from the beginning, we need to move on to real head coaching candidates.
Winning that game last night after down 0-13 is the best thing he has done so far. Whether you like him or not or think he would be a good HC or not, that game moved the needle for him.

This team is absolutely dire. Un-athletic, un-disciplined, inept, losing mentality. Yet he has managed to win two games most of us think Frost would have lost.

The ride will continue. i honestly don’t see how this team bests anyone else. But if anyone can get us another couple, it is MJ.

Winning that game last night after down 0-13 is the best thing he has done so far. Whether you like him or not or think he would be a good HC or not, that game moved the needle for him.

This team is absolutely dire. Un-athletic, un-disciplined, inept, losing mentality. Yet he has managed to win two games most of us think Frost would have lost.

The ride will continue. i honestly don’t see how this team bests anyone else. But if anyone can get us another couple, it is MJ.
Don't expect old poopy pants to be happy after another win.

The job isn't his and shouldn't be. There is no way they hire an experiment after 5 and very possibly 6 straight losing seasons. I have faith in Trev to make the right call. He isn't going to go cheap.

As for Frost, he was the right hire at the time. Sometimes things just don't work out even when you land your target. The extension was what was extremely stupid. Frost was 8-13 overall and 4-5 in year 2 when Moos thought it was a good idea to give him more money. He hadn't proven anything at that point. Just idiotic.
Also at that time we were assuming frost would be a winner. He had not proven it on the field.

It’s still plenty early to make any decisions on the head coaching job.

I think we all need to understand that there are plenty of coaches out there with more experience, better resumes and bigger accomplishments than Mickey.

But that doesn’t automatically mean that they would be more successful as the head coach in Lincoln.

Sometimes it’s about who is the best fit. And the person who is the best fit a lot of times ends up being the most successful.

If this team keeps winning and getting better, I think it’s going to be pretty tough to convince everyone that there’s a need to bring in a new coaching staff.

You don’t mess with success.
Nailed it. For me IF he finishes out with a team maybe maximizing their talent the most since Bo you have to give him a shot. I think Mickey has great upside.

This hire is too important to hire another guy who is learning on the job. Mickey should only be considered if he can somehow lure elite offensive and defensive coordinators, and a great strength coach.

Mickey and staff seem to be maximizing close to the talent level of this team, barring those recruiting rankings. In a conference where quality linemen, as a whole, are pretty broad and standard. Our offensive line isn’t one of the conference’s best. The defensive line is playing more players regularly and have held up in these last two games. But there is at least a handful or more teams with talent levels above these last two opponents. We won the second half with adjustments in these last 2 games. Refreshing and unusual, unfortunately.

We are in our sixth experiment post Osborne. The conference is getting better , especially in 2024. Nebraska can’t afford to make a mistake without further damage and probably a steeper hill to climb. We have had head coaches and staffs with demonstrated weaknesses across the gamut of reasons.

Some of those are showing lack of power five relevant experience, recruiting ability, evaluation skills, replacing needed assistants, S & C applications to on-field performance, college game pertinent traditions, coaching up players and in-game adjustments. We have a pool of guaranteed money, facilities and NIL ability to compete nationally. A very relevant head coach and staff is a very real possibility this time that exhibits the stated traits not consistently exhibited in the last five staffs individually and collectively.

If it doesn’t happen this time, that means a great deal of understated public weight and value is put on our lack of population in-state and our geographical region. A huge variable of which no immediate answer can be drummed up. Only winning but our opponents don’t care if that ever happens.

Last edited:
This hire is too important to hire another guy who is learning on the job. Mickey should only be considered if he can somehow lure elite offensive and defensive coordinators, and a great strength coach.
On the other hand, maybe it’s smart to hire a guy who maybe has more upside than a retread who demands 8 million per year with a 5 year guarantee.

It’s great to win but the last two games were not great efforts IMO. The tougher games are coming. We have to see what happens in those.

Agree, chose the wrong words…but my point is that we are not very good IMO despite the wins. If CT goes out we will lose out.
I’m not sure what people are expecting MJ to do? You realize there is no coach out there that could step in to this team and win out, right? There is no coach out there that is going to step into this team and do diddly squat more than what MJ is doing. We are really that bad.

All I hear is we have to get a better coach. That is fine: who? I have no faith in taking a flier on some OC or a coach at a less visible school. So name your poison? If MJ goes 6-7 wins with this team before a bowl game, we’d crazy to not at least consider him unless you have an absolutely home run hire lined up.

ADVERTISEMENT