ADVERTISEMENT

The future of NCAA

otismotis08

Head Coach
Jan 5, 2012
parts unknown
I'm beginning to think that Cornhusker football will never again compete for a national championship. It really has little to do with our current HC, players, recruiting, development, funding, etc.
It has everything to do with time. I think we're running out of time. Time in which universities continue to exist the way that they currently do. The secondary education cost bubble is about to burst, and will force a paradigm shift that will rock the university systems. There will be a ripple effect through the NCAA, where finally the notion of higher education and pre-professional athletes are separated. It seems like these changes will occur in the next 5-10 years, so the window is closing on us and everyone else. After this shift, I foresee a minor league system that exists completely apart from universities.

I'm beginning to think that Cornhusker football will never again compete for a national championship. It really has little to do with our current HC, players, recruiting, development, funding, etc.
It has everything to do with time. I think we're running out of time. Time in which universities continue to exist the way that they currently do. The secondary education cost bubble is about to burst, and will force a paradigm shift that will rock the university systems. There will be a ripple effect through the NCAA, where finally the notion of higher education and pre-professional athletes are separated. It seems like these changes will occur in the next 5-10 years, so the window is closing on us and everyone else. After this shift, I foresee a minor league system that exists completely apart from universities.
The end is near!! 😆. That aside, you've made a good point

The cost of education is based upon Federal Financial Aid. As long as the Gov ponies up for the inflated costs of an education, there will be no bubble burst. Pell Grant covers about 70% of tuition and the rest is covered in guaranteed student loans. With Libs in charge and Lib Universities cranking out indoctrinated youths, this is a fail safe program. The Gov will tease the overburdened youths with student loan elimination and the whole country will be happy. All part of the master plan of the liberal take over.

You have valid points, imo the ncaa is nothing more than a over bloated bureaucracy and feed off the winners, take Miami and Florida st and all the violations they did and the ncaa turned its back? Why because they were making money off of them, fans who think alabama is clean not even close there above approach again the ncaa is making big money off of them. if this happened in the 1960-1970 those schools would be constant probation. They have no desire to punish anyone except for possible the small or down and out school. Look at the mess basketball is with all the recruiting violations imo the biggest mistake was moving out of KC and moving to Indy

Look at the bright side. At least shoe horning in a female kicker as a publicity stunt won't happen any more in that system.

You have valid points, imo the ncaa is nothing more than a over bloated bureaucracy and feed off the winners, take Miami and Florida st and all the violations they did and the ncaa turned its back? Why because they were making money off of them, fans who think alabama is clean not even close there above approach again the ncaa is making big money off of them. if this happened in the 1960-1970 those schools would be constant probation. They have no desire to punish anyone except for possible the small or down and out school. Look at the mess basketball is with all the recruiting violations imo the biggest mistake was moving out of KC and moving to Indy
They were constantly in lincoln chasing shadows while in KC

The NCAA serves to protect profits and provide an antitrust shell. If those are eliminated, there is no benefit to the NCAA from the schools any longer.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
In 10 years I think it will all be amateur professionals that are paid. The teams with the most money will get the best players.

In a world beyond athletics, the education landscape has discovered that there is no real need to be on campus for the vast majority of classes... This is going to be a complete shift for so many universities that have invested heavily in facilities to attract students. Nebraska as a whole will have to decide what it is to attract those students into various programs.

How this effects the athletic departments is anyone's guess but the OP brings up very good points. I think Nebraska sees this and is making moves to get in front of it... one of those moves that comes to mind is how they're teaming up players with marketing experts for their "brand"...

the next 5-10 years are going to be very interesting for our beloved college that's for sure!

Reactions: otismotis08
Nebraska will need the equivalent to a modern day Bob Devaney, Tom Osborne, Bill McCartney, Mack Brown. You know, great coaches who put together great staffs and know how to delegate and coach. When that day comes, Nebraska will again be a damn good team.

Reactions: baseball31ne
if you want handouts to end you will have to get rid of republicans as well as democrats. the 2 parties just hand out money to different people.
the majority of large surveys show the happiest citizens actually live in countries where education and healthcare are provided by taxes; less income inequality exists; thus the lowest crime rates as well.
i wont assume you are interested in living wherever people are the happiest but it is interesting that the people who actually live in your nightmare scenario like it more than any other people like the conditions they are in

List the happiest countries....

I've predicted for quite some time that the secondary education system will be privatized. In other words, I've been accepted to Intel university, they applied to Verizon University, you attended Google university, he attended Hilton U, she graduated from Wells Fargo U... each company gets first dibs at the best students at their respective schools, who have been groomed to work at those companies, waiving their student loans after a probationary period. Otherwise it is pretty much the same as now, graduate and apply for jobs and pay your corporate student loans... but state and federal governments have no stake in it.

Maybe the NFL even has a university, with each college fielding its own farm team? Or maybe all the corporate universities have sports teams, and if you work for Microsoft, that's who you root for?

I'm still betting on that, though I admit I thought I'd see some movement in that direction by now. Apple forming an exclusive partnership with Stanford, or Dell buying Rice, or something of that nature.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I've predicted for quite some time that the secondary education system will be privatized. In other words, I've been accepted to Intel university, they applied to Verizon University, you attended Google university, he attended Hilton U, she graduated from Wells Fargo U... each company gets first dibs at the best students at their respective schools, who have been groomed to work at those companies, waiving their student loans after a probationary period. Otherwise it is pretty much the same as now, graduate and apply for jobs and pay your corporate student loans... but state and federal governments have no stake in it.

Maybe the NFL even has a university, with each college fielding its own farm team? Or maybe all the corporate universities have sports teams, and if you work for Microsoft, that's who you root for?

I'm still betting on that, though I admit I thought I'd see some movement in that direction by now. Apple forming an exclusive partnership with Stanford, or Dell buying Rice, or something of that nature.

This likely won't happen. Companies don't want the cost of training people to this extent. Alot of companies don't provide great training opportunity for their people even after a college education is in hand and they are somewhat productive on the job after basic company indoctrination. Those that do find it cheaper to just outsource the task and let the colleges do it with companies ponying up the tuition.

The other thing is that corporate culture has changed. It might have made sense to do this when you were guaranteed to work at IBM your whole life. It makes a bunch of sense to grow your own IBM engineeer. It makes less sense now to put a high school kid through IBM university, hold onto him a handful of his most junior years as an employee, and then lose him to the market to any number of competitors.

It also depends on the jobs though right. An 18 year who is going to be a rocket scientist is going to have a fairly long down time before he/she is useful in the most basic sense while at Boeing university. So Boeing will basically be putting large numbers of folks on corporate welfare before it gets anything out of them.

Someone who sells insurance though, say State Farm, can probably find something to keep young Timmy productive and earning his keep while at State Farm U.

Yes perhaps so JFlores but companies still invest a WHOLE LOT in recruitment, talent evaluation, and training. All of that could be done more thoroughly during an undergraduate education.

Yes perhaps so JFlores but companies still invest a WHOLE LOT in recruitment, talent evaluation, and training. All of that could be done more thoroughly during an undergraduate education.

Yah but most companies only want a few of the the reasonably competent graduates of a huge pool of people nationwide or regionally. IBM isn't interested in educating 20K kids, and then hiring 1000 of them. It might be interested in making those 1000 the best they can be, but they almost certainly won't want to expend resources on kids who will never work for them because they fail or don't meet IBM's parameters.

Given that virtually all weed out activities can take place online now via resume submission, companies can and have tuned recruitment activities to compensate at Universities and the like. Even better, with the advent of mandated interships/co-ops in university programs, most companies can "try before they buy" future graduates for no or little money.

Its generally cheaper to go shopping, than own the store.

Not to appear argumentative, as when I was a co-op back in the day I would have appreciated getting to industry "faster" although we realized at the time that industry wasn't going to spend the money on teaching us basic tasks even if it meant a marginally better employee down the road. Its a lot of extra lift whose cost isn't going to be offset by cancelling recruiting events.

The other major hurdle to this is that this essentially turn 200+ years of education tradition in the US on its head. One goes to school to be a generalist who will be fine tuned in their field of employment by their employer. We don't and haven't historically, run Uni's like union trade schools. Having corporate universities would likely mean that most jobs, and my WAG is that mostly non-STEM jobs will bear the brunt of this, will be run more as a union Apprentice-Journeyman type of set up than a generalist education they get now. You sell insurance with your mentor on your hip and taking company classes, and then you fly solo some day when you reach full certification.

In reality, there are only relative few companies in the country that have the resources to run a full fledged diploma program for a range of fields their workers would need. Its basically out of the question for anything small business (quite a few people work in small business), and I don't really want to have to draw a line in the sand where folks in the Fortune 500 would balk as well. All of the schools you mentioned were cutting edge STEM, and likely that's not a bad guess. Its hard to imagine Peter Kiewit and Sons setting up a liberal arts program for its Army of business majors.

So assuming each company that fields a school takes some percentage of students, there's likely to be a significant number of HS graduates who don't get in to a company school that would have other wise gone to a big university like a UNL, an ISU, an OSU, etc. There's always trade school sure, but in this age of nationalist populism, having the corporate elite take all the best jobs for themselves probably won't play well on either side of the aisle.

Even the GOP moms and dads, want little Timmy to have a diploma no matter how much lip service is given to what kind of decent living can be made as a plumber.

Not to appear argumentative

Jflores -- no worries, just a pleasant and interesting discussion. Time will tell, but I see the biggest downside being the loss of "neutrality / objectivity" of university research. If NIH grants were going to the University of Pfizer, and DOD grants to the University of Raytheon, there would be even more suspicion and accusation of foul play.

I really don't think we will see the libs deliver on this free education stuff. It's just too expensive to do. The only way to do it, is to limit it based on aptitude. In some ways, it would go back to being how it used to be. Only the best and brightest would get in to your state colleges, because there is a cap on the spending. The rich will always have access to the best private universities. The poor, well you have Google, Apple, Amazon "Schools"..

As for how sports changes, it very well could go the minor league model as per the OP.

The cost of education is based upon Federal Financial Aid. As long as the Gov ponies up for the inflated costs of an education, there will be no bubble burst. Pell Grant covers about 70% of tuition and the rest is covered in guaranteed student loans. With Libs in charge and Lib Universities cranking out indoctrinated youths, this is a fail safe program. The Gov will tease the overburdened youths with student loan elimination and the whole country will be happy. All part of the master plan of the liberal take over.

“Indoctrinated”...DRINK!

This likely won't happen. Companies don't want the cost of training people to this extent. Alot of companies don't provide great training opportunity for their people even after a college education is in hand and they are somewhat productive on the job after basic company indoctrination. Those that do find it cheaper to just outsource the task and let the colleges do it with companies ponying up the tuition.

The other thing is that corporate culture has changed. It might have made sense to do this when you were guaranteed to work at IBM your whole life. It makes a bunch of sense to grow your own IBM engineeer. It makes less sense now to put a high school kid through IBM university, hold onto him a handful of his most junior years as an employee, and then lose him to the market to any number of competitors.

It also depends on the jobs though right. An 18 year who is going to be a rocket scientist is going to have a fairly long down time before he/she is useful in the most basic sense while at Boeing university. So Boeing will basically be putting large numbers of folks on corporate welfare before it gets anything out of them.

Someone who sells insurance though, say State Farm, can probably find something to keep young Timmy productive and earning his keep while at State Farm U.
sTATE fARM already has its own University. 17 weeks long and they pay you to attend.

I thought players weren't paid for college sports? Oh, they don't have to pay for that ridiculous tuition, room & board, food, and get monthly checks? Wait, they don't have student loans which also have interest on them when they leave? Sounds like a good thing to me.

The rich will always have access to the best private universities. The poor, well you have Google, Apple, Amazon "Schools"..
The poor can also go to an online for profit university that will take any student regardless of ability as long as they qualify for federal financial aid. The dropout rate is high, but it's easy money for the "schools".

Football and basketball may escape the NCAA. But when the revenue dries up, that's the end for other sports. NCAA has made and pocketed billions from amateur sports.

There is an article written by the dean of the Harvard business school. He predicts that the large, state universities will hit the wall financially as the cost of a liberal arts degree becomes ridiculous when compared to it's value. The liberal arts students, which make up a large percentage of the tuition pie, will dry up. Junior colleges will increase in enrollment. To counter the loss of revenue, state universities will begin to offer paths in the trades. It will be tough going this guy predicts, especially when considering the debt many universities have taken on. The name of the article is 'The end of college football, but not for reasons you think.' His point regarding the value/expense issue of a liberal arts degree cannot be argued against. Possibly the end of a great era, when a man (boy in my case) could, for pennies, pledge a frat, guzzle beer, play rugby and work on your golf game for six years (or so), and learn that that Hannibal crossed the Alps, and that the English defeated the Spanish Armada in ...................... damn.....1588?? I like to tell myself that it has given me 'depth', and has made me a more interesting person. Then I snap out of it. What it did do is it kept my ass and balls attached to my body with the IIS draft deferment (Vietnam).

There is an article written by the dean of the Harvard business school. He predicts that the large, state universities will hit the wall financially as the cost of a liberal arts degree becomes ridiculous when compared to it's value. The liberal arts students, which make up a large percentage of the tuition pie, will dry up. Junior colleges will increase in enrollment. To counter the loss of revenue, state universities will begin to offer paths in the trades. It will be tough going this guy predicts, especially when considering the debt many universities have taken on. The name of the article is 'The end of college football, but not for reasons you think.' His point regarding the value/expense issue of a liberal arts degree cannot be argued against. Possibly the end of a great era, when a man (boy in my case) could, for pennies, pledge a frat, guzzle beer, play rugby and work on your golf game for six years (or so), and learn that that Hannibal crossed the Alps, and that the English defeated the Spanish Armada in ...................... damn.....1588?? I like to tell myself that it has given me 'depth', and has made me a more interesting person. Then I snap out of it. What it did do is it kept my ass and balls attached to my body with the IIS draft deferment (Vietnam).

The amount that a student can take out on a loan should somehow be tightly tied to his/her major.

Sorry to derail...I know that wasn’t the direct subject of your post.

The amount that a student can take out on a loan should somehow be tightly tied to his/her major.

Sorry to derail...I know that wasn’t the direct subject of your post.
I could not agree more with your comment. Our country needs all of the professions (except law). If an individual can cut it as far as the academics go, get him/her in there.

Football and basketball may escape the NCAA. But when the revenue dries up, that's the end for other sports. NCAA has made and pocketed billions from amateur sports.

I really don't think they want to escape the NCAA, they would lose all of their tax protections. The P5 university just want to play by different rules because they can afford to. So they just want a separate division within the ncaa.

There's a lot of validity to what he's saying, and, we know that things in America are evolving rapidly due to technology, so nothing would surprise me.

I have a HS sophomore and an 8th grader. The sophomore will easily get into most universities of her choice, but unless there are full ride scholarships that factor in, mom and I will be highly involved in the decisions that advance her education with a focus on keeping expenses way down. We'll hopefully complete one year of JUCO before the age of 18, then more transferable credits from a year in JUCO while at home, followed by only 2 years at NU or other instate school or possible the Dakotas, depending on major.

Reactions: saluno22

I very much like the idea of a liberal arts education. I do think it is worthwhile. But let's face it, if I wanted to start a business and asked for a loan, the only thing that would matter is whether my business plan was likely to produce enough profits to pay back the loan.

However, applied to college, that would probably result in certain majors costing more than others, and that could actually discourage people from those majors.

What the government oughta do is ONLY give grants and loans to people who are pursuing degrees that the US economy actually needs more of. Pre-Med, here you go. Art History, that's on your own dime.

in places like Belgium, where college is 'free', the entire developmental phase of children is scrutinized in order to place people in either the 'college' or 'trade' bucket.

college isn't for everyone. places that provide it for free ensure that fact.

I have no opinion either way. tuition is bloated and there is a negligible percentage of university employees who could do much more than flip burgers in the real world, but I do think if a kid wants to attend they should have the choice.

just remember when people make comparisons to utopian societies, they're talking about making judgement calls early and often on a kid's 'fit' for free school.

We will be back. This is a true blue blood, one that will awaken from slumber and be a power once again.

Change is constant. Every generation eventually struggles with that fact in one way or another.

Reactions: bigboxes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT