The farmer vote is far from a lock this time around.

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
  • U.S. trade aid mainly benefited large farms in its latest round, undermining a key pledge by the Trump administration and leaving family producers at risk of collapse as the economy entered a recession.
  • Roughly two-thirds of payments went to the top 10% of recipients at the beginning of the year, according to an analysis of U.S. Department of Agriculture records obtained by CNBC through the Freedom of Information Act.
  • The top half of recipients collected 95% of total payments in the $28 billion Market Facilitation Program.

105644585-1545576189897ap_18264682398048.jpg

Indiana farmer offloads fresh harvest of soybeans from his combine in Brownsburg, Ind., Sept. 21, 2018.
Michael Conroy | AP

U.S. trade aid mainly benefited large farms in its latest round, undermining a key pledge by the Trump administration and leaving family producers at risk of collapse as the economy entered a recession.

President Donald Trump said the bailout program he rolled out in 2018 would help family farms weather his trade war with China, mostly through direct payments from the government. But roughly two-thirds of those payments went to the top 10% of recipients at the beginning of the year, according to an analysis of U.S. Department of Agriculture records obtained by CNBC through the Freedom of Information Act.

The top half of recipients collected 95% of total payments in the $28 billion Market Facilitation Program, which came after retaliatory actions against the Trump administration led to steep drops in demand for U.S. agriculture. The average payment for the top tenth of recipients was $164,813, a stark contrast from the average payment of $2,469.49 for the bottom half of recipients. The data included payments made throughout February and March, when the most recent tranche began to hit bank accounts.

lifer56

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 3, 2005
The farmer vote isn’t what it used to be either. Significantly more 10,000+ acre land owners and, obviously, even more significantly less smaller farms. The rural vote however will be 75%+ for Trump. I don’t think this article holds much weight for voting actually.
Definitely 100% correct about the shrinking portion of farm country votes. It's been a serious trend for, what, at least 15-20 years.

Maybe I'm romanticizing, but I can't help but believe it kinda sucks overall for American society.

A

anon_d59hqc1b9wwsd

Definitely 100% correct about the shrinking portion of farm country votes. It's been a serious trend for, what, at least 15-20 years.

Maybe I'm romanticizing, but I can't help but believe it kinda sucks overall for American society.
I think both sides should agree with this actually.

nelsonj22

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
@IndyHusker google LBJ and what he was known to whip out during White House mtgs.

Clinton actually got disbarred for lying. ‘Depends on what definition of is is’. Big lies to Feds.

Trump is a salesman that exaggerates for effect, night and day difference.

Biden straight out lied multiple times in his speech this week- fracking? Biden will break the Trump ‘lies’ record.
Jesus fvck man take a day, wrong again.

Trump has lied and been proven false more than all other presidents combined. That is a Fact.

Not saying they didnt lie too, but no where near Ts level of BS.

Mr. Wrong, Trump is on your level of wrong. I understand you being confused. You believe every word that comes outta his mouth.

Bobfather

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Oct 6, 2002
We're seeing some turning here in Indiana. Few are excited about Biden, but I can see quite a few not voting for either, which is a net loss for Trump. Iowa isn't always a gimme for the Repubs (went for Obama both times I believe), so it could be in toss-up mode. While most farmers are conservative by nature, that doesn't make them all pro Republican. My dad usually went with which ever candidate felt right at the time. And like my father, most farmers don't have much stomach for liars, cheaters and thieves.
So your dad loves baby murder got it.

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
So your dad loves baby murder got it.

My father grew up during the recession and had to quit school after the eighth grade to help provide for the family. Then he went off to fight the Germans. I’ve never known a straighter man. He would have squished you like a bug on his very worst day Bobbie.

jbt25

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2010
Yes I understand it’s an important issue around here but such a typical negative article on Trump.

It’s funny..there’s never been a president who has listened and looked more people in the eye, produced more results allowing all races and genders live better lives the last three years pre-Covid....he’s actually done what he said he would do but of course they have to find the one thing that he hasn’t done supposedly yet.

My advice would be maybe stop the never ending stupid ass baseless investigations and accusations on a daily basis and let this president get things done I can’t imagine how much more he would’ve gotten done if he didn’t have to fight back fake news a proven coup to remove him from office as a duly elected president how much more can we have gotten done as a country not to mention Congress working together.

Maybe then he would have time to follow through on this.

ssccardinal

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
No. Clinton never had the urge to retaliate every time somebody dissed him. Thicker skinned than DT by a very large amount. I wasn't a fan, so I'm not defending him for his transgressions, of which there were several.
Clinton was a political genius. Trump is a political novice. Trump had an opportunity to be a business person running the country, but his ego never met a tweet he declined to post. He has run the country like he ran his real estate development business: bravado and exaggeration and, yes, falsehoods.

Trump is a liar. Politicians are liars. But the lies told by Trump and by politicians are different kinds of lies.

We are a country of 330 million people, and yet we have to choose between these two guys. You wouldn't hire either of them to walk your dog.

We deserve exactly what we get.

Reactions: Jim14510

ssccardinal

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
How’s your city recovering Greg?
Slowly. When the hurricanes hit the out-of-towners pulled up stakes and headed south. It is now a waiting-your-turn game for repair/replacement. Tomorrow is four weeks post-storm, and the parking and street edge throughout the residential neighborhoods are walls of broken trees and debris. Power is all but 100% restored, but the hard work is ahead.

It's obviously less important, but the golf course you have played lost about 750 trees, and every structure on the property suffered significant damage. Portions of the clubhouse have re-opened; other portions are a couple of weeks away. The golf course MIGHT re-open before the end of the month. The next time you see it the views will be a lot different than before. Fortunately no significant damage to greens or tees.

Thanks for asking.

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
Clinton was a political genius. Trump is a political novice. Trump had an opportunity to be a business person running the country, but his ego never met a tweet he declined to post. He has run the country like he ran his real estate development business: bravado and exaggeration and, yes, falsehoods.

Trump is a liar. Politicians are liars. But the lies told by Trump and by politicians are different kinds of lies.

We are a country of 330 million people, and yet we have to choose between these two guys. You wouldn't hire either of them to walk your dog.

We deserve exactly what we get.

I said in the spring of ‘16 that if we had to choose between Hillary and Donnie, then we were going do deserve everything we got. And here we are.

Reactions: ssccardinal

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
Slowly. When the hurricanes hit the out-of-towners pulled up stakes and headed south. It is now a waiting-your-turn game for repair/replacement. Tomorrow is four weeks post-storm, and the parking and street edge throughout the residential neighborhoods are walls of broken trees and debris. Power is all but 100% restored, but the hard work is ahead.

It's obviously less important, but the golf course you have played lost about 750 trees, and every structure on the property suffered significant damage. Portions of the clubhouse have re-opened; other portions are a couple of weeks away. The golf course MIGHT re-open before the end of the month. The next time you see it the views will be a lot different than before. Fortunately no significant damage to greens or tees.

Thanks for asking.

Wow. 750 trees. That’s beyond sad. I’m heading back out there on Tuesday for another survey. How’s Wednesday afternoon look for ya?

Bobfather

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Oct 6, 2002
You honestly can't name one politician in history that has been as dishonest as Trump.
FDR, LBJ, Slick Willy, Killary, Soetoro, Adam Schitt, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck U. Schumer, Tip O’Neill, Danang Dick, Dingy Harry Reid, Mad Maxine do I need to go on!

Last edited: