ADVERTISEMENT

THE DOWNTOWN LINCOLN AMIGO'S IS CLOSING

This is how old I am: during my time at UNL in the late 70’s and early 80’s I ate lunch every day at Taco Inn right across from campus on R street. Still the best burritos I ever ate at a fast food joint. I mourned for years after it closed.
Taco out at taco inn

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Taco Inn is great stuff... there's a place down here in Texas called Taco Casa that has a very similar taste and feel...

now, back in the early 90's I used to chow down at Taco Bell that was catty-wompus from Nebraska Book store... ate there a TON! 5-6 Mexi Melts for like $3 was a great deal back in college

Also... Amigos went down hill in my book when they got rid of the Taco-Rito and wouldn't even make it on special request! I would have gladly paid for it but nope... that's when I stopped going back in the day when I lived up there...

That said, when I came home for Christmas I did chow down on 3 soft taco's and tots... was decent for sure!

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Also... Amigos went down hill in my book when they got rid of the Taco-Rito and wouldn't even make it on special request! I would have gladly paid for it but nope... that's when I stopped going back in the day when I lived up there...

That said, when I came home for Christmas I did chow down on 3 soft taco's and tots... was decent for sure!
The drive thru at Amigos on 96th and Q in Omaha as the Taco Rito. Love those things.

Amigos has been rolling down the hill for a long while. I last went a year ago and tried an Aztec taco and a combo burrito. Was so gross and not what I remember Amigos being like.

Remember when Amigos and A&W partnered up?! The root beer was to die for.

Hid from a few of Lincoln's finest LEOs in that place one night after the bars closed....

The 13th of this month!

It's like a death in the family, you guys. 4 years of my life, eating there at least twice a week.

Can we form a human chain and stop this madness?
The restaurant business in general does not have a good record for longevity. Many food places come and go each year.

I remember a place downtown called Chartroose Caboose (or something like that) that also offered unlimited chili and a beverage for about $3.

Throw in a cinnamon roll and it would have passed for Heaven itself.

Loved that place. We ate there all the time. Steak and cheese sandwiches were great. Right across the street from the Plasmatron center.

Well if we're going this far about drunken grindage I need to throw props to my favorite post-bar dive "The Highway Diner"! that was my favorite place back in college to sober up/come to my senses! Perkins on "O" was an ok backup but nothing like The diner!

Well if we're going this far about drunken grindage I need to throw props to my favorite post-bar dive "The Highway Diner"! that was my favorite place back in college to sober up/come to my senses! Perkins on "O" was an ok backup but nothing like The diner!

It depends on how late you stayed up. Before midnight, Amigos. After, I remember Perkins on O, but the Denny's was closer to campus.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Lincoln has no shortage of cheap quasi-Mexican food places open late at night. We'll be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT