ADVERTISEMENT

The difference in this game

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
Is that Iowa has a real QB and we apparently don’t. With the game on the line, our QB runs out of bounds like a coward because he hates to get hit, giving Iowa a last gasp chance. Iowa’s QB, although struggling in the entire second half, manages to pass his team into FG range with 38 seconds left and no timeouts.

Luke McCaffrey should have played the entire second half.

Is that Iowa has a real QB and we apparently don’t. With the game on the line, our QB runs out of bounds like a coward because he hates to get hit, giving Iowa a last gasp chance. Iowa’s QB, although struggling in the entire second half, manages to pass his team into FG range with 38 seconds left and no timeouts.

I’m not sure he ran out of bounds because he didn’t want to get hit. He may have been trying to stop the clock so that we have enough time to drive down the field for a score. That would be dumb, but not cowardly.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Nate Stanley and Brian Ferentz were the only reason we were still in the game.

Martinez sucks but I would look at special teams as the difference. Of course, Frost is the reason why Martinez is playing. We have a stubborn head coach who can even get his team to a bowl game.

I’m not sure he ran out of bounds because he didn’t want to get hit. He may have been trying to stop the clock so that we have enough time to drive down the field for a score. That would be dumb, but not cowardly.
I base my opinion on the fact that his horizontal running style indicates a runner who hates to get hit. He is always trying to outrun the pursuit, although he is slow, rather than cut it up field for extra yards.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Nate Stanley and Brian Ferentz were the only reason we were still in the game.

Martinez sucks but I would look at special teams as the difference. Of course, Frost is the reason why Martinez is playing. We have a stubborn head coach who can even get his team to a bowl game.
Stanley wasn’t amazing but WR drops didn’t help. Also 2-0 on To’s. Would have been fun to see Goodson and Wan’Dale healthy all game. I said all week that I was worried Iowa’s offense was going to keep Nebraska in it.

The irony of AMart is that he never goes out of bounce when he should but the time he shouldn’t have he did.

IQ isn’t great. He’s obviously rattled with the injuries but it’s come to the point that we need to do what’s best for the team. If McCaffrey is what’s best, we need to give him a shot. God knows we’ve given AMart all the chances in the world. If he starts pulling the same crap in the beginning of next season we need to bench him.

I don't know,play calling sucked,special teams not good,player management horrible and they still had had a chance to win and they lost by a field goal.It is what it is.

Reactions: ssmill777
To me special teams was the difference. We played well enough on offense and defense to win, neither were perfect, but good enough to win. But our special teams was dominated.

In looking back to the 70s-90s, I really did not appreciate the solid special team play we typically had. The "pipeline", blackshirts, and high profile QBs/IBs got alot of attention, but we rarely lost games because of special teams over nearly 30 years. In recent years it has been constant. Its amazing at how consistently bad we've become with special teams play, across multiple coaches.

In looking back to the 70s-90s, I really did not appreciate the solid special team play we typically had. The "pipeline", blackshirts, and high profile QBs/IBs got alot of attention, but we rarely lost games because of special teams over nearly 30 years. In recent years it has been constant. Its amazing at how consistently bad we've become with special teams play, across multiple coaches.
Even through the Pelini years it was usual good. Foltz, Henery, Maher. But our special teams has become a train wreck in almost every way, currently.

Stanley had already thrown a pick six earlier and Ferentz with 36 seconds went for the win. We were calling horizontal bullcrap like cowards hoping to let the clock run out and we couldn’t even get that correct.

Last edited:

Honestly? I was hoping McCaffrey wasn’t under center after that Td. Not sue of what to make of the shit show on the one occasion Frost put him in later...

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

I don’t even know where to start, but of course he should have played the 2nd half. The fact that he didn’t is just one sign to me that this coaching staff is lost right now. There are problems in every facet of this team. We have decent players. Decent. Our coaches are shockingly incompetent at times. There are glimpses of success but way too many mistakes and bad decisions. I don’t have an answer but honestly, I don’t see this ending well right now for this staff. Hopefully, I’ll feel more optimistic tomorrow....GBR!

The irony of AMart is that he never goes out of bounce when he should but the time he shouldn’t have he did.

IQ isn’t great. He’s obviously rattled with the injuries but it’s come to the point that we need to do what’s best for the team. If McCaffrey is what’s best, we need to give him a shot. God knows we’ve given AMart all the chances in the world. If he starts pulling the same crap in the beginning of next season we need to bench him.
Martinez just needs two more seasons, then if he’s not good enough, time to go with the next. Signed, Scott Flop....Frost

Was Iowa DE94. 14 tackles, 4 TFL, 2 sacks. Doubled on countless other plays which caused 9-on-10 football everywhere else.

I thought it was going to be a 25-21 game, but as Kirk Ferentz suggested, this game could play out very similar to 2018 at Kinnick.

At the half, I was remembering 2014's 17 point comeback by Nebraska. It was 24-10 at half, but with the Huskers starting off the half, it was a game that appeared similar. Nearly OT.

Special teams were huge. Explosive plays were huge, though QB Nate Stanley didn't play consistently. Turnovers were a factor.

What if Nate Stanley throws ball away rather than not throw into double coverage? If first guy intercepts, it would not likely been Pick 6.

Iowa 27
Nebraska 24

Good game. Hard fought by both teams. Both fan bases likely frustrated during game.

Fwiw

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT