ADVERTISEMENT

The Difference between Nebraska and Okie State

The_Glove_Man

Senior
Jun 9, 2010
Madison, WI
People keep clamoring for Nebraska to hire a Special Teams coach, rip coaches for sloppy play, etc. OK fine. But is that really the problem?

Oklahoma State comes out in the second half against Oklahoma and gives up their lead with a safety and a muffed punt for an OU touchdown. And then they win.

Making fewer mistakes that your opponent might win you a couple of games. But being able to overcome mistakes will win you a lot more. And that seems like more of a player mindset than a coaching strategy. I think that is what Frost means when he says we just need a couple of breaks, a couple of Ws, to turn the ship around. To start to expect to win.

I was really hoping that we would win the Iowa game because that could have put some wind in Smothers' sails. As it is, I fear he is just going to get sucked into the Murphy's Law mentality that the team can't seem to shake.

Will the Ireland game be different enough to allow us to press the reset button, or will it be a distraction that winds up sending us down the same dark hole next year?

Wouldn’t you rather not have to overcome them? Seems like a much larger margin for error without.

I feel like the team with even the 80th ranked special teams rather than the worst would have won a couple more games.

1. okie state is alot closer to texas recruiting
2. okie state passes alot and has never won a NC (heck I'm not sure they won a conference championship)
3. okie state doesn't have constant coaching turn over
4. okie state had a generous donor named t boone...we have some generous folks but good luck getting buffet to buy a NU t-shirt
jimmy = bad (crackboys/canes/yuck)
pat = good
gundy = real good
6. besides detroit, I never seen a smarter college/nfl player then barry sanders (retired on top with limbs intact and did'nt blow all his money nor get into club shootings & records all over the place)
7. it's tough to beat a good team 2 times, I'm picking baylor...like I picked michigan...I think osu will have a let down after beating 0u, like osu did after beating mich state
8. there's too many teams named osu
9. I see okie state (and baylor) doing good in the new big 12...because a texas player might want to go there instead of traveling far and getting dragged by a sec team.
10. the one to watch is houston, one of the 2 hotbeds of recruiting (along with miami) 4th biggest tv market,
and they may become aau......which means a few things..like good for NU recruiting
11. #1 at wrestling follow by iowa

Last edited:
Chicken or egg, what comes first? Bad players or bad coaching? We can't fire all the players and will be competing with essentially the same roster next year. Maybe a worse roster depending on what happens with the portal net loss/gain. So, we better figure out how to eliminate the 2-3 mind-boggling-punch-to-the-nuts mistakes that happen every game.

All teams have to overcome a mistake now and them. I'd argue Nebraska is way past the norm in that category.

Neither is mutually exclusive. As a rule, good teams do not self sabotage. Iowa is not particularly talented, but they have 10 wins and are playing for a conference championship and major bowl bid. Not a bad jumping off point if you ask me. Frost needs to clean this s*** up and not pretend like it doesn't matter.

Scott Frost saying the game was over after the blocked punt in the post Iowa game pressor was an extremely bad look and commentary on the culture that has been built over the last 4 years

we still led 21-16 and had controlled the game up to that point

a culture of expecting to lose has been built - hopefully the new staff can correct some of this but difficult when it originates from the head coach

Scott Frost saying the game was over after the blocked punt in the post Iowa game pressor was an extremely bad look and commentary on the culture that has been built over the last 4 years

we still led 21-16 and had controlled the game up to that point

a culture of expecting to lose has been built - hopefully the new staff can correct some of this but difficult when it originates from the head coach
That was a pretty revealing statement. Gross.

People keep clamoring for Nebraska to hire a Special Teams coach, rip coaches for sloppy play, etc. OK fine. But is that really the problem?

Oklahoma State comes out in the second half against Oklahoma and gives up their lead with a safety and a muffed punt for an OU touchdown. And then they win.

Making fewer mistakes that your opponent might win you a couple of games. But being able to overcome mistakes will win you a lot more. And that seems like more of a player mindset than a coaching strategy. I think that is what Frost means when he says we just need a couple of breaks, a couple of Ws, to turn the ship around. To start to expect to win.

I was really hoping that we would win the Iowa game because that could have put some wind in Smothers' sails. As it is, I fear he is just going to get sucked into the Murphy's Law mentality that the team can't seem to shake.

Will the Ireland game be different enough to allow us to press the reset button, or will it be a distraction that winds up sending us down the same dark hole next year?
The NU offense had a chance to help the team in the second have. After the opening drive they had
3 plays 2 yards - punt block
4 plays 21 yards - fumble
2 plays (-7) yards - safety
3 plays 4 yards - punt

Not many teams are going to with a close game with that performance.

Do an analysis of Oklahoma State all year. I have no clue how they have played on special teams, but you can't cherry pick one game where they pulled out a win. Our special teams plagued us all year, in nearly every game.

You also ignored Oklahoma's failures that flipped the game back in State's favor. They too had an egregious special teams play, that was a real Nebraska way to lose a football game.

1.) Trying to field a punt at the 5 yard line.
2.) Muffing that punt and handing the ball to State at the 5 yard line for the go ahead touchdown and last points of the game.

Sloppy play, special teams and lack of discipline are the main problem. You are right though that the mindset of the team is a huge issue and one I don't know they overcome. Expecting to lose when you have a lead against an offense as bad as iowa is all that needs to be said about the state of this team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT