ADVERTISEMENT

The cost of doing business without fans

jedimasterjed

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 14, 2013
Blair, Ne
I am just curious what the cost will be having football without fan, it would probably cost 8 to 10 million a home game for the huskers. The TV ratings will surely drop, I know lots of people that will not watch football without fans.

Nebraska might have to delay a couple of years before building new facilities and use some of the money to stay on solid grounds financially. Definitely some smaller programs will go away.

My biggest hope is the SEC leads the way and plays in front of fans.

There will be fans it’s just a question on how many the university’s are going to allow in and maybe eventually they will allow everyone that wants to be a spectator...

Last edited:
I am just curious what the cost will be having football without fan, it would probably cost 8 to 10 million a home game for the huskers. The TV ratings will surely drop, I know lots of people that will not watch football without fans.

Nebraska might have to delay a couple of years before building new facilities and use some of the money to stay on solid grounds financially. Definitely some smaller programs will go away.

if you can’t watch football without fans you don’t belong on this board

Read a very long list of restaurants all over the United States that decided to keep their doors closed after the virus shut down....and that list will only continue to grow....if there are no butts in the seats for football, I don't even want to know what that actual cost will be and it would be so hard to put an accurate figure on, I don't even want to think about that possibility.

Reactions: baseball31ne
If there's no fans Lincoln will take another kick square in the gonads. Christmas and 7 home games is how businesses and restaurants survive in that town.

Games with no fans would mean no tailgating (I assume lots will be closed), it means bars will still have rules in place as to how many people can be in there.

College towns will fold up.
Won't happen. People won't comply and police won't enforce come September. Everything will be open and we will all feel like things are back to normal for a few months.

Exactly. What kind of weirdo doesn't watch their team play simply because there aren't fans in the stands? Would it be weird? Yes. Would I not watch the Huskers play if there weren't fans in the stands? Are you F-ing crazy?

I’ll Tell you the ones, the ones that couldn’t careless if Nebraska wins or losses..

And the ones on this board know who they’re and we know who they’re too..;)

The stands will be full, parking lot full of tailgating... it is the media and power hungry politicians keeping the Covid story on the front page... the public knows the truth and has moved on.

I think so too. Even if they stop the fans from going to the game...they will still tailgate.

Read a very long list of restaurants all over the United States that decided to keep their doors closed after the virus shut down....and that list will only continue to grow....if there are no butts in the seats for football, I don't even want to know what that actual cost will be and it would be so hard to put an accurate figure on, I don't even want to think about that possibility.
All true, and sad...and unnecessary.

The TV ratings will surely drop, I know lots of people that will not watch football without fans.
The NFL draft was shot out of a guys living room with no fans and had their highest ratings ever with a huge increase over last year. I think football ratings would be higher without fans due to other factors related to the conditions we are living in. The networks could simulate fans in the stands if they wanted to.

Somebody broke it down, but I can't remember. The loss from t.v. contracts not being fulfilled will shutdown athletic departments.

The stands will be full, parking lot full of tailgating... it is the media and power hungry politicians keeping the Covid story on the front page... the public knows the truth and has moved on.
Yes, I believe I heard a Youtube expert named Donnie Baker speak about this.

Reactions: bluenrg
All true, and sad...and unnecessary.
well, maybe.
i think some joints were just open to write checks. ive read for sometime that there’d be a day of reckoning for many restaurants. this may have just gave those owners, investors, & equity funds the opportunity to pull the plug. shows how ‘hand to mouth’ some parts of the ecconomy really were.
any interruption was a death knell.

well, maybe.
i think some joints were just open to write checks. ive read for sometime that there’d be a day of reckoning for many restaurants. this may have just gave those owners, investors, & equity funds the opportunity to pull the plug. shows how ‘hand to mouth’ some parts of the ecconomy really were.
any interruption was a death knell.
I am as pro-life as the day is long. I can't stand the thought of people dying without family present. That is truly awful. There is not a pat on the back big enough for all the medical professionals that had to witness all of that, either. Truly terrible and can't be allowed to happen again.

That said, we are at 125 sadly deceased in our state (assuming they died OF the disease). A few years ago, the easonalsay lufay caused about 400. I must be missing something...

Last edited:
I am as pro-life as the day is long. I can't stand the thought of people dying without family present. Sick and wrong. There is not a pat on the back big enough for all the medical professionals that had to witness all of that, either. Truly terrible and can't be allowed to happen again.

That said, we are at 125 sadly deceased in our state (assuming they died OF the disease). A few years ago, the easonalsay lufay caused about 400. I must be missing something...

Clearly you just want old people to die.

Yes, I believe I heard a Youtube expert named Donnie Baker speak about this.

The reality is that millions were hurt because of an overreaction. The trillions spent to shore up the economy is ridiculous.

I hope much more affordable and available testing occurs. I want this because it will provide some truth to the debate.

We live every day in some form of danger; it shouldn't mean we should hide under our blankets.

The NFL draft was shot out of a guys living room with no fans and had their highest ratings ever with a huge increase over last year. I think football ratings would be higher without fans due to other factors related to the conditions we are living in. The networks could simulate fans in the stands if they wanted to.
Its very possible but live sports need energy. My hope is fans in stadiums I will watch regardless. The hit on the husker program will be 60 to 70 million with no fans.

Reactions: bluenrg
Somebody broke it down, but I can't remember. The loss from t.v. contracts not being fulfilled will shutdown athletic departments.
Let's hope fans in stadiums, I will watch no matter what. The good thing is that Nebraska is in very good financial shape and may come out stronger. Lots of programs cannot say the same thing.

I'm picturing 90 thousand fans in red husker masks. lol

Reactions: jedimasterjed
The reality is that millions were hurt because of an overreaction. The trillions spent to shore up the economy is ridiculous.

I hope much more affordable and available testing occurs. I want this because it will provide some truth to the debate.

We live every day in some form of danger; it shouldn't mean we should hide under our blankets.

Interesting history about Woodstock and the pandemic that killed at least a million and was rarely talked about.

Reactions: cornwoman
Let's hope fans in stadiums, I will watch no matter what. The good thing is that Nebraska is in very good financial shape and may come out stronger. Lots of programs cannot say the same thing.
Interesting history about Woodstock and the pandemic that killed at least a million and was rarely talked about.

Link? How many people attended Woodstock? What years did they die? What was the time frame. How did they die specifically? What are the coroner reports? I can keep going
Link?

Pandamics don't necessarily end because of a vaccine or a herd immunity. We are behaving like it's a pandemic, but I don't want too anymore.

I am with you. Look, I don't want to get it and I don't want anyone to get it...I hope it is "fine" by the start of the school year.

Reactions: tpmcg

lmfao, I came to the free board to read this? You’re a fool.

I saw this morning where NFL expects to lose 5.5 Billion if no fans allowed. Assuming college football would be in that range or maybe more.
Mark my words There will 100% be fans in the stands of most college football teams. However I would be shocked if they are at full capacity. The talk now and I believe Ohio St released something yesterday stating 20,000- 50,000 would be the range if social distancing guidelines are still in place come Sept. Nebraska would probably be similar.
I doubt TV ratings drop if anything it will increase because those who are not able to go to the games now are forced to watch on TV. Why would anyone not watch football just because there are no fans? I understand the fans add to the excitement and feel but Im noting watching football for the fans. Im watching because I love football.
Football is the primary income factor for many if not all schools. That income drops by even half and schools are going to have to find ways to cut cost. We are already seeing some schools cut other athletic programs. I think cutting football programs will be the absolute last resort. Schools will cut all other athletics before the give up football I believe.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I saw this morning where NFL expects to lose 5.5 Billion if no fans allowed. Assuming college football would be in that range or maybe more.
Mark my words There will 100% be fans in the stands of most college football teams. However I would be shocked if they are at full capacity. The talk now and I believe Ohio St released something yesterday stating 20,000- 50,000 would be the range if social distancing guidelines are still in place come Sept. Nebraska would probably be similar.
I doubt TV ratings drop if anything it will increase because those who are not able to go to the games now are forced to watch on TV. Why would anyone not watch football just because there are no fans? I understand the fans add to the excitement and feel but Im noting watching football for the fans. Im watching because I love football.
Football is the primary income factor for many if not all schools. That income drops by even half and schools are going to have to find ways to cut cost. We are already seeing some schools cut other athletic programs. I think cutting football programs will be the absolute last resort. Schools will cut all other athletics before the give up football I believe.
fan revenue for the NFL is ~25% of their annual take, so I'm not sure that number is accurate more than it's owner posturing.

college football is much more beholden to fan support for revenue (upwards of 60-65% for G5 schools), to your point.

I absolutely expect fans in the stands, and would not be surprised to see full stadiums with no restrictions in many places.

fan revenue for the NFL is ~25% of their annual take, so I'm not sure that number is accurate more than it's owner posturing.

college football is much more beholden to fan support for revenue (upwards of 60-65% for G5 schools), to your point.

I absolutely expect fans in the stands, and would not be surprised to see full stadiums with no restrictions in many places.
Here is the article on the NFL. https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-will-r...s-are-played-in-empty-stadiums-155924507.html That takes into account, ticket sales, food drinks, merch, parking ect. The article said those equate to about 38% of annual revenue

ADVERTISEMENT