ADVERTISEMENT

The cost of doing business without fans

fan revenue for the NFL is ~25% of their annual take, so I'm not sure that number is accurate more than it's owner posturing.

college football is much more beholden to fan support for revenue (upwards of 60-65% for G5 schools), to your point.

I absolutely expect fans in the stands, and would not be surprised to see full stadiums with no restrictions in many places.
There will be lower attendance but not because the schools are limiting it. People are creatures of habit and for many, their lifestyle is now avoiding crowded areas. That doesn't go away in a couple of months. A year from now it will be much different in more ways than one. We will be in a global depression, and during those times people choose daily leisure activities like movies and football games over things like week long vacations and such. I wouldnt be surprised to see record attendance in 2021.

There will be lower attendance but not because the schools are limiting it. People are creatures of habit and for many, their lifestyle is now avoiding crowded areas. That doesn't go away in a couple of months. A year from now it will be much different in more ways than one. We will be in a global depression, and during those times people choose daily leisure activities like movies and football games over things like week long vacations and such. I wouldnt be surprised to see record attendance in 2021.
it was introduced in a couple of months. why wouldn't it go away just as quickly?

just licking my finger and sticking it in the air, it doesn't seem like people are too keen to stay inside for prolonged periods of time.

Reactions: bluenrg
it was introduced in a couple of months. why wouldn't it go away just as quickly?

just licking my finger and sticking it in the air, it doesn't seem like people are too keen to stay inside for prolonged periods of time.

Like I said, people are creatures of habit. Its the same reason why service industry businesses try hard to not close for remodeling, vacations, etc for long periods of time.

Like I said, people are creatures of habit. Its the same reason why service industry businesses try hard to not close for remodeling, vacations, etc for long periods of time.
but, that's the opposite of your theory?

they don't want to close because the very people who've made it a 'habit' to dine there will bolt and not come back almost immediately.

habits are, you know, hard to break, and not so fickle as 'do this new thing for 2 months and never return to what you've gotten used to your entire lives.'

I saw this morning where NFL expects to lose 5.5 Billion if no fans allowed. Assuming college football would be in that range or maybe more.
Mark my words There will 100% be fans in the stands of most college football teams. However I would be shocked if they are at full capacity. The talk now and I believe Ohio St released something yesterday stating 20,000- 50,000 would be the range if social distancing guidelines are still in place come Sept. Nebraska would probably be similar.
I doubt TV ratings drop if anything it will increase because those who are not able to go to the games now are forced to watch on TV. Why would anyone not watch football just because there are no fans? I understand the fans add to the excitement and feel but Im noting watching football for the fans. Im watching because I love football.
Football is the primary income factor for many if not all schools. That income drops by even half and schools are going to have to find ways to cut cost. We are already seeing some schools cut other athletic programs. I think cutting football programs will be the absolute last resort. Schools will cut all other athletics before the give up football I believe.
While Nebraska sits in about as good of shape as any athletic program losing 70 percent of of their home game revenues would be a hit of 50 million dollars. There will be extra costs of testing, keeping things clean and travel costs. It might take 3 aircraft just to fly to away games if social distancing measures are in place. I am one for lifting all restrictions and believe playing in front of full stadiums.

but, that's the opposite of your theory?

they don't want to close because the very people who've made it a 'habit' to dine there will bolt and not come back almost immediately.

habits are, you know, hard to break, and not so fickle as 'do this new thing for 2 months and never return to what you've gotten used to your entire lives.'

Not really. It takes 2-3 weeks to form a habit. Currently, the habit is largely social distancing. Even people who aren't afraid to go back to shopping and dining out aren't flooding the stores that have opened up that they once patronized regularly. It takes time to recreate that.

The stands will be full, parking lot full of tailgating... it is the media and power hungry politicians keeping the Covid story on the front page... the public knows the truth and has moved on.
We can only hope. You couldn’t design a better distribution mechanism for the virus than this. First few week numbers will be low and then it will take off. People traveling to the games will ensure a wide distribution back to both cities and rural areas. The only thing better would be basketball and volleyball as they are inside.. we just need to let Americans be Americans and get it over with.

Not really. It takes 2-3 weeks to form a habit. Currently, the habit is largely social distancing. Even people who aren't afraid to go back to shopping and dining out aren't flooding the stores that have opened up that they once patronized regularly. It takes time to recreate that.
That's honestly false. For the opportunities presented to me, I haven't changed my habits at all, even in the last 2 months. And I am certainly a creature of habit.

I'm hoping to get 99% off a 50 yardline skybox
Let's make a deal!​
headshot-larylarry.jpg

Reactions: redwine65
There won't be a problem with fans in the stands at the beginning of the season.

What happens later in the season though, is not guaranteed.

I saw this morning where NFL expects to lose 5.5 Billion if no fans allowed. Assuming college football would be in that range or maybe more.
Mark my words There will 100% be fans in the stands of most college football teams. However I would be shocked if they are at full capacity. The talk now and I believe Ohio St released something yesterday stating 20,000- 50,000 would be the range if social distancing guidelines are still in place come Sept. Nebraska would probably be similar.
I doubt TV ratings drop if anything it will increase because those who are not able to go to the games now are forced to watch on TV. Why would anyone not watch football just because there are no fans? I understand the fans add to the excitement and feel but Im noting watching football for the fans. Im watching because I love football.
Football is the primary income factor for many if not all schools. That income drops by even half and schools are going to have to find ways to cut cost. We are already seeing some schools cut other athletic programs. I think cutting football programs will be the absolute last resort. Schools will cut all other athletics before the give up football I believe.
tOSU AD Gene Smith said he could see games with 20,000 fans.

Reactions: bluenrg
I like what you're smoking!

That's honestly false. For the opportunities presented to me, I haven't changed my habits at all, even in the last 2 months. And I am certainly a creature of habit.
Fear of death is a strong motivating factor. It takes a while before that fear subsides for most people.

Fear of death is a strong motivating factor. It takes a while before that fear subsides for most people.
I agree, even though this is appearing to be not as severe as advertised. 3 Months of instilling fear into people and that millions will die. It is going to take some time to undo the mindset of, crowds bad, people bad, self isolation good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crazyhole
I agree, even though this is appearing to be not as severe and advertised. 3 Months of instilling fear into people and that millions will die. It is going to take some time to undo the mindset of, crowds bad, people bad, self isolation good.
That's basically what I'm saying. You said it better than I did.

Reactions: husker2612
While Nebraska sits in about as good of shape as any athletic program losing 70 percent of of their home game revenues would be a hit of 50 million dollars. There will be extra costs of testing, keeping things clean and travel costs. It might take 3 aircraft just to fly to away games if social distancing measures are in place. I am one for lifting all restrictions and believe playing in front of full stadiums.

Having a college football team social distance would make as much sense as social distancing with people who live in your house.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT