ADVERTISEMENT

The coach I wanted before they hired Smilin Mike

Won his 2nd national title at his second school. Keeler wins it at Sam Houston today. Happy for him. Passes Tressel on all time playoff victories as well.
Did you actually watch the game? There were more than a couple of coaching gaffes. They got pretty lucky to win that game after SDSU's best cover corner and safety got hurt on the same play on that last drive. I'm not sure what he's done at Sam Houston State would make me think that he would do a better job than somebody who went undefeated at a group of 5 school while beating a highly ranked SEC team in a bowl game.

Did you actually watch the game? There were more than a couple of coaching gaffes. They got pretty lucky to win that game after SDSU's best cover corner and safety got hurt on the same play on that last drive. I'm not sure what he's done at Sam Houston State would make me think that he would do a better job than somebody who went undefeated at a group of 5 school while beating a highly ranked SEC team in a bowl game.
Do you know who got hurt. Did not watch game but a kid I used to coach (actually in basketball) plays corner for them ... so wondering if he is ok if it was him.

Watched entire game... and all of playoffs. They won 3 games in this fashion in the playoffs and was undefeated on this bizarre season. When you look at his entire resume he is a quality coach. Won NC at Delaware with Flacko as his QB. You don't set the record for playoff wins and be a subpar coach.

So.......

you think he is better than what we’ve got?

Watched entire game... and all of playoffs. They won 3 games in this fashion in the playoffs and was undefeated on this bizarre season. When you look at his entire resume he is a quality coach. Won NC at Delaware with Flacko as his QB. You don't set the record for playoff wins and be a subpar coach.
What you just witnessed is that you don't set the record for playoff wins with a subpar QB. He had Flacko and now this Schmid kid who was outstanding. QB play is the absolute number one reason they beat SDSU. He's a gamer. IMO, you replace AM with Schmid and the Huskers would have easily won 6 games last year if not more. Is that coaching or is that getting a little bit lucky with your recruiting.

What you just witnessed is that you don't set the record for playoff wins with a subpar QB. He had Flacko and now this Schmid kid who was outstanding. QB play is the absolute number one reason they beat SDSU. He's a gamer. IMO, you replace AM with Schmid and the Huskers would have easily won 6 games last year if not more. Is that coaching or is that getting a little bit lucky with your recruiting.
Flacco played only 2 seasons at Delaware and his first season they didn't make the playoffs so Flacco was hardly a major contributor in Keeler's overall playoff success.

Even if his other QBs (I can't name another one) were great you still have to give Keeler much kudos for recruiting well, developing well & coaching well.

And how many of those categories are the current staff doing well in when it comes to OFFENSIVE SKILL position players??
As of right now it doesn't seem like they're doing very well at all. This season will really tell us one way or another I think.

I'm optimistic for this season so the answer to your question can (will hopefully) change.

After 3 mistake-filled losing and embarrassing seasons? Yeah, we'll reserve the right to complain without your approval. It would take a pretty special breed of idiot to be thinking "everything is fine!" at this point.
Like I said. You are like the rest of the whiners who wanted Tom Osborne and Frank Solich gone. How is it working out for ya lol
Oh and one more thing. You will Not call people names here very long!

Reactions: bshirt73
For context, Keeler's last five years before getting fired from Delaware match almost perfectly Bo's five years at fellow FCS YSU. As tough a sell as Mike Riley was for the hire a year later, I can't see how many could have justified Keeler's hiring at a Big 10 school, much less one that considers itself a blue blood. I doubt it would have been well-received.

Like I said. You are like the rest of the whiners who wanted Tom Osborne and Frank Solich gone. How is it working out for ya lol
Oh and one more thing. You will Not call people names here very long!
Re-read what I wrote genius. I didn't call you a name, but you seem to identify with the status. By the way, isn't calling someone a whiner also calling names? Grow up, this isn't 2nd grade.

I'm not sure he would have ever been a good coach anywhere else but I enjoy listening to the Stiegelmeier coaches show on WNAX.

failure to recruit and develope backup qb's in college football has brought many a coach down. think this is written in stone somewhere

Reactions: Wasker77
For context, Keeler's last five years before getting fired from Delaware match almost perfectly Bo's five years at fellow FCS YSU. As tough a sell as Mike Riley was for the hire a year later, I can't see how many could have justified Keeler's hiring at a Big 10 school, much less one that considers itself a blue blood. I doubt it would have been well-received.
I lived in Columbus when they hired the Sweater Vest. It was a sh!t show. Many very unhappy people. In the height of his career, Speilman had a local radio show and summarized Tressel's philosophy... punt and play defense, punt and play defense, score when the opportunity presents itself. Extremely conservative offense during those years.

You just never know what translates from one level to another. Tressel's game management did. Not saying Keeler would work in Lincoln now or then. Thought he deserved a look.

Watching the game right now on ESPN...how did we not know about Isiah Davis the freshman RB for SDSU from Joplin Missouri?

Not accurate. Flacco appeard in a chanpionship but lost.

Do you know who got hurt. Did not watch game but a kid I used to coach (actually in basketball) plays corner for them ... so wondering if he is ok if it was him.
Don't know. The SDSU radio guys and the TV commentators both called them their best corner. Both the safety and corner on that side were down and I didn't pay attention to their names. I don't really follow SDSU football but I get them on WNAX out of Yankton so if there's nothing else to listen to I'll listen to them. I watched much of the second half on TV.

Watching the game right now on ESPN...how did we not know about Isiah Davis the freshman RB for SDSU from Joplin Missouri?
Excelling in one game or even multiple games at the FCS level doesn't necessarily make you a P5 RB. It is possible that he was an academic risk. Obviously Mizzou, KSU, OSU and KU all passed on him as well. Joplin is right on the border with Oklahoma.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I wanted Dan Mullen instead of both Bo and Mike.

Yea rite....nice try! Dan Mullens was Quarterback coach for the Florida Gators in 2007. No one knew who he was outside of Florida and that hire would never have been approved by the Nebraska media.

Besides everyone knows Urban was the QB coach, offensive coordinator and the HEAD COACH of that team...

I believe he was also the Mo state player of the year his SR season. He is a Freshman.
As I posted, KU, KSU, MIZZOU and Okie St all passed on him. Hell Arkansas is just a stones throw away and they didn't offer. He looks good against FCS opponents and none of us know what his academics or personal life looks like.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Craig Bohl started the NDSU powerhouse and ended up at Wyoming and is under .500 there
He's recruiting the same kind of talent at Wyoming that he did at NDSU and playing in a tougher league. He was able to recruit his league's footprint pretty well at NDSU. The other factors IMO are that he's getting older and left one of his best assistants behind. What Saban is still doing at his age amazes me.

Excelling in one game or even multiple games at the FCS level doesn't necessarily make you a P5 RB. It is possible that he was an academic risk. Obviously Mizzou, KSU, OSU and KU all passed on him as well. Joplin is right on the border with Oklahoma.
Obviously you did not watch the game. We throw out a jazillion offers and walk on offers and he is in the magic 500 mile radius. I do agree though, state player of the year and hardly any offers does throw up some flags.

Obviously you did not watch the game. We throw out a jazillion offers and walk on offers and he is in the magic 500 mile radius. I do agree though, state player of the year and hardly any offers does throw up some flags.
I did watch a good part of the game. He was playing against an FCS defense. He's a good back but wasn't offered by any P5 school in his 500 miles radius. What does that say about him? Clearly there were some concerns about him whether it was academic or personal. I don't know why EVERY P5 school passed on him.

Reactions: HuskerO
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT