ADVERTISEMENT

The case for optimism

Dean Pope

Head Coach
Oct 11, 2001
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm feeling pretty good about these Huskers right now. Why? Well, first of all it feels great to be able to talk about something new. An actual game being played. Competition on the field. Beats the hell out of endless preseason speculation and arguments over all things COVID 19.

If you look past the final score, we weren't all that far behind in total snaps and down a little over 100 yards in total offense. We only punted three more times than they did and they didn't have a 100 yard rusher. It just seemed more competitive than previous games against top 5 teams. Yes, we didn't have an answer for Fields or their receivers. Pick your poison. Some of those guys are future 1st round picks.

I think we are better at QB, RB, TE, both lines, inside backer, defensive backs, kicker and punter. WR and outside backer should improve as the year goes along. This team looks like a .500 team to me, maybe better. I like where we are at compared to the last couple years.

And it makes more sense to compare this team to the last three years or so rather than comparing this team to a mid 90's team, early 80's team or late 60's team.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm feeling pretty good about these Huskers right now. Why? Well, first of all it feels great to be able to talk about something new. An actual game being played. Competition on the field. Beats the hell out of endless preseason speculation and arguments over all things COVID 19.

If you look past the final score, we weren't all that far behind in total snaps and down a little over 100 yards in total offense. We only punted three more times than they did and they didn't have a 100 yard rusher. It just seemed more competitive than previous games against top 5 teams. Yes, we didn't have an answer for Fields or their receivers. Pick your poison. Some of those guys are future 1st round picks.

I think we are better at QB, RB, TE, both lines, inside backer, defensive backs, kicker and punter. WR and outside backer should improve as the year goes along. This team looks like a .500 team to me, maybe better. I like where we are at compared to the last couple years.

And it makes more sense to compare this team to the last three years or so rather than comparing this team to a mid 90's team, early 80's team or late 60's team.

Couldn't agree more, I was a little surprised and disappointed at all the complaining about that game. Lines are vastly improved, we moved the ball, and the score was tied late in the second qtr. AM looked better to me, I like the play calling some are saying was to cute...like we were gonna line up and just bitch slap 'em out of the way? I'm with you OP.

"You down with OPP, yeah you know me"....just popped into my head.

You forgot about the 1970’s teams..Winking

Reactions: Dean Pope
I thought Nebraska showed marked improvement on both sides of the ball. Your offensive and defensive lines are much more physical than last year. We (OSU) have a pretty good offensive line and you guys matched up well against us. You are missing a vertical passing game. Hopefully a healthy Manning and the development of your young receivers can help. I would use McCaffrey more in the passing game (bubble screens). You will not see a better QB and WR group this season so I think your secondary should match up better against future opponents. Wisconsin looked impressive last week but who do they beat? I expect a very competitive game with or without Mertz.

I thought Nebraska showed marked improvement on both sides of the ball. Your offensive and defensive lines are much more physical than last year. We (OSU) have a pretty good offensive line and you guys matched up well against us. You are missing a vertical passing game. Hopefully a healthy Manning and the development of your young receivers can help. I would use McCaffrey more in the passing game (bubble screens). You will not see a better QB and WR group this season so I think your secondary should match up better against future opponents. Wisconsin looked impressive last week but who do they beat? I expect a very competitive game with or without Mertz.

Nice to see you most on something else involving Husker sports then political Bull$hit..

1 mental mistake/error is too many against a team of OSU's caliber and I think we had almost 10 (if you include bad calls). Clean some things up and I think we will be very competitive in the rest of our games.

1 mental mistake/error is too many against a team of OSU's caliber and I think we had almost 10 (if you include bad calls). Clean some things up and I think we will be very competitive in the rest of our games.
the team is better and that comes with better talent and more experience. OSU is not as good as last year either.
they lost 3 first round draft picks including #1 overall and lost 6-7 draft picks overall
that doesn't mean neb isnt better. it just means neb is probably better and OSU is probably a little worse. I see neb winning the division consistently in 3-4 years. Nobody else in the West recruits worth a damn. the B10 west has the lowest recruiting rankings of any P5 division. it should be the easiest division to win in college fb

the team is better and that comes with better talent and more experience. OSU is not as good as last year either.
they lost 3 first round draft picks including #1 overall and lost 6-7 draft picks overall
that doesn't mean neb isnt better. it just means neb is probably better and OSU is probably a little worse. I see neb winning the division consistently in 3-4 years. Nobody else in the West recruits worth a damn. the B10 west has the lowest recruiting rankings of any P5 division. it should be the easiest division to win in college fb
Joe Burrow played for OSU?

Reactions: dinglefritz

We still need to be able to throw the ball vertically....until then, sub .500

Reactions: saluno22
I was very impressed with the offensive line. Tompkins was solid. We have 2 Solid QBs. Mills is Mills and will have a good season. Robinson is Robinson. Overall, after watching Indiana and PSU, I really think we’ll be competitive the entire rest of the year. We will get beat again, but I think there is reason to be optimisti.

I was very impressed with the offensive line. Tompkins was solid. We have 2 Solid QBs. Mills is Mills and will have a good season. Robinson is Robinson. Overall, after watching Indiana and PSU, I really think we’ll be competitive the entire rest of the year. We will get beat again, but I think there is reason to be optimisti.
Agreed, we won't go 7-1 but I think we can beat anyone on our schedule.

I agree that we looked better than the score indicated.
That said, we're 0-1 having played tOSU on the road.
There will be better days.

I can't understand why no one is talking about the hard hitting by both sides in the game. I truly believe OSU will be sore tomorrow as will we. We never gave up and damn proud of the fight we gave them. The main difference in the game was talent & miscues. JMHO. GBA/GBR.

WR has me very concerned. Also expected to see a little more nickel D.

Other than that, I feel like we improved everywhere except ball security.

I would like to see more of an offensive identity than the free for all we had last week.

I agree with many about both lines looking better, and special teams being better as well.

I would also like to see the defense play more conservatively to give our offense a better chance to keep up.

So far, I would say there is improvement vs last year, but it's only been one game.

Trouble is, the team NU is always capable of beating is NU.

The dumb stuff is what leaves a bad taste in my mouth from last week. Players and coaches.

Penalties, unforced fumbles, lack of RB touches and over-dependence on "gimmicky" plays.

Teams are gonna figure out fast that if LMC is out there motioning all over that he's getting the ball and they can ignore Adrian and play 11 on 10. OSU did.

You may as well start him at WR and play base 11 or 12 with Mills, a TE, Luke, Wan'dale, Adrian, and then take you pick if other WR or TE. If he plays because he's a great athlete (pats self on back for predicting this all along) then play him. Get your best guys out there and get them the ball.

Adrian running it that much isn't going to hold up, he isn't a "fight for extra yards" guy and he isn't durable. If you want him running so bad then show me your triple game. Get him running triple out of split backs with LMC and Mills or LMC and Wan'dale. Tons you can do off that.

They have GOT TO let Mills run ugly this year and make their piece with him having 4-5 ypc and it not looking nice and pretty.

Reactions: BleedRed78

It is weird to be optimistic after a blowout loss. I am, but I think that says just how horrible Nebraska has been more so than how good we are going to be.
I was most impressed with the O and D lines. We held our own most of the game. No more getting shoved back 10 yards before the RB even touches the ball. I think Martinez looks a bit better. Kicking game looked much improved.
My concerns. We still can't get off the field on 3rd and 4th downs. Ohio State converted 66% of their 3rd and 4th downs. 100% of their 4th downs. 3rd and longs still seems to be an issue as well. We still can't get pressure on the QB, a good QB is going to sit back there and pick us apart like Fields did. We have to find a way to put pressure on the QB if we want to ever be more than a 5 or 6 win team. Martinez did look better, but he still looks to slow in making reads and decisions. Mccaffrey looked much quick, he just has an issue holding onto the ball.
The stupid penalties and mistakes at the worst possible times are still there like last year. Still have issues is finishing drives and getting points. Almost 400 yards offense and 17 points. Where was our WRs at? As the announcers said, you aren't going to succeed in this league if you live and die by RPO and your biggest pass play is 5 or 6 yards. You have to be able to have a deep threat.
As some have suggested maybe this was all a smokescreen game for Frost. Keeping things very simple and vanilla knowing we have little to no shot against Ohio St. I don't think that is the case, but I can see that argument. On my optimistic scale Im probably sitting at a 5 out of 10 right now. What makes me happy is it seems we are finally getting the fundamentals solid. Everything else can be tweaked and adjusted as the year goes.

I’m tired of the “stuff that can be cleaned up” rhetoric. I’ve been hearing for several years about the “stuff that can be cleaned up” and none of it has been cleaned up and it’s a huge factor in the teams loss.
Is the score 52-17 if Nebraska doesn’t have a mountain of “stuff to clean up”?

We only punted three more times than they did and they didn't have a 100 yard rusher.
The bold part doesn't hold much water with me. I take stats for a high school team who only punted once in a game while its opponent punted three times. However, my team lost 55-0. That's what seven turnovers and going 1 for 3 on 4th down attempts will do, especially when you don't force any turnovers and your opponent converts all of their 4th down attempts.

You also don't need a 100-yard rusher when your QB completes 20 out of 21 pass attempts. But I agree, our run defense was good.

However, I'm proud we made Ohio State punt... TWICE! 😀

WR has me very concerned. Also expected to see a little more nickel D.

Other than that, I feel like we improved everywhere except ball security.
I think more young WRs will see more and more snaps as the year goes on, especially Alante Brown and Zavier Betts. My hunch is that those kids just need a little more time to get ready. Same is probably true of Omar Manning.

Very simply, this score was not indicative of the game I saw played. I'm far from suggesting Nebraska had a shot at winning, but on Adrian's fumble, the team was really moving the ball with rhythm. Instead of scoring 3 or 7, they gave up 7 on the scoop and score. That's 10 - 14 points. When Luke fumbled, they were also getting in a rhythm. No score, so that's another 3 - 7 points. And while I certainly don't blame Ohio State for scoring late, a knee there would have also made the outcome 28 instead of 35.

If they clean up the turnovers, this could have easily been a 14 - 17 point game. I understand one can't simply remove turnovers as they are part of the game, but it seems like that is something that can be cleaned up vs. a year ago where that game probably should have been a 63 point difference.

All together, this team proved they could move the ball, especially when the game was still in doubt - tying it up 14 - 14 was especially sweet.

The defense certainly has to figure out how to get pressure on the QB if they aren't going to be able to cover.

All together, I can see this team winning 5 or 6 games if they keep heading in the right direction.

I did'nt sence confusion or panic, like frost has a system now, where players seem to know what they are trying to do. it may not have looked pretty vs loaded ohio state

I love your optimism and wish I shared it. I did see some improvements, just not sure they are close to enough to get us to a winning record.

Although it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, as Frost didn't call me for my opinion (why, I'll never know), I was surprised in a good way about many of the things I saw. There was improvement in a number of places. No, we aren't going to win the rest of our games, but compared to what we have seen for a number of years, it was a pleasant eye-opener. And I admit I went into the season/game as cynical as I have been in years.

Trouble is, the team NU is always capable of beating is NU.

The dumb stuff is what leaves a bad taste in my mouth from last week. Players and coaches.

Penalties, unforced fumbles, lack of RB touches and over-dependence on "gimmicky" plays.

Teams are gonna figure out fast that if LMC is out there motioning all over that he's getting the ball and they can ignore Adrian and play 11 on 10. OSU did.

You may as well start him at WR and play base 11 or 12 with Mills, a TE, Luke, Wan'dale, Adrian, and then take you pick if other WR or TE. If he plays because he's a great athlete (pats self on back for predicting this all along) then play him. Get your best guys out there and get them the ball.

Adrian running it that much isn't going to hold up, he isn't a "fight for extra yards" guy and he isn't durable. If you want him running so bad then show me your triple game. Get him running triple out of split backs with LMC and Mills or LMC and Wan'dale. Tons you can do off that.

They have GOT TO let Mills run ugly this year and make their piece with him having 4-5 ypc and it not looking nice and pretty.
I'll take Luke's 7-8 ypc over Mills 4-5 ypc, especially against Ohio St.

I’m tired of the “stuff that can be cleaned up” rhetoric. I’ve been hearing for several years about the “stuff that can be cleaned up” and none of it has been cleaned up and it’s a huge factor in the teams loss.
Is the score 52-17 if Nebraska doesn’t have a mountain of “stuff to clean up”?
We were light years from Ohio State. Now we're only a few AU's. Ohio State could have put up 100 on us the last few years if they wanted to. I hate saying this, but 52-17 in a game that should have been closer is still a big improvement over last year.

We were light years from Ohio State. Now we're only a few AU's. Ohio State could have put up 100 on us the last few years if they wanted to. I hate saying this, but 52-17 in a game that should have been closer is still a big improvement over last year.
Our players weren’t literally getting knocked five yards backward onto their ass like last year, which is a big improvement. Now imagine if Nebraska didn’t do what they always do (kill themselves with inexcusable mistakes), that 52-17 could have been 38-31.

Basically to my eye NU has taken steps forward, but the steps weren't big enough to put us in the end zone and keep OSU out of it. We don't have a title contender in Lincoln, but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Step one is build a team that can beat Iowa consistently. Step two is build a team that can beat Wisconsin consistently.

Step 3 doesn't happen until we're elite in recruiting, and that's beating PSU, UM, and OSU. They out-recruit NU by a mile right now. Hence the reason we can have a better football team and still lose to OSU by 40.

Our players weren’t literally getting knocked five yards backward onto their ass like last year, which is a big improvement. Now imagine if Nebraska didn’t do what they always do (kill themselves with inexcusable mistakes), that 52-17 could have been 38-31.
That's the part that frustrates me most. It doesn't take a crew of 5* players to stop the pants pissing in execution. Or maybe we're still at the place where you can't pull a guy for screwing up because his backup isn't any good.

Reactions: vs540husker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT