ADVERTISEMENT

The Big Ten is no longer a power 5 conference --- #replaceKevin

B12 has 10 teams and 5 of them with a winning record

Sun Belt conference has 10 teams and 4 of them have a winning record

THE BIG TEN HAS 14 TEAMS AND 4 OF THEM WITH A WINNING RECORD

the sun belt conference is now trolling us with their tweets

Kevin Warren needs to be replaced ASAP
Warren is an idiot, but trolling a confernece about their record when they only play confernece games is pretty stupid.

My problem with Kevin warren is how much credibility does this man have to negotiate tv deals. His predecessor was a golden goose and the big 10 was by far the richest conference. This guy warren does not appear to support playing college athletics. If I am a network do I trust this guy will give me content. I know some of cancellations do have to do with being during a pandemic but of the power 5 conferences the big 10 has been the least supportive of playing games. Even the pac 12 conference expressed more support playing games and they have by far the most strict local health restrictions.

Don't anyone get too comfortable with 2021 basketball & football season.

The newly installed Fuhrer just announced we will likely have to shut down both of those sports for "health" reasons. Interesting we won't have to shut down any of the women's sports. Golly, who saw that coming.

Big 12: 47-45
Sun belt: 53-51
Big 10: 41-41

Suppose if every Big10 team played an OOC opponent, the conference would also be 2 games above 500?

the B1G has always been a joke on the field

so long as the money's good, we're getting exactly what we bargained for, right down to the non-competitive product we see on Saturdays
Joke? If that’s the case you had your opportunity to change that rather than shit down your leg since day one.

Reactions: jonesy5960
Joke? If that’s the case you had your opportunity to change that rather than shit down your leg since day one.
we're now just a part of the joke instead of laughing from the outside.

the B1G is a laughing stock of a conference, churning out mediocre teams year after year for as long as football has existed. with the exception of, what, half a dozen teams in the history of the conference, the B1G has been second-rate all the way in terms of competitive football.

your beloved iowa is the poster boy of B1G football. absolutely inconsequential from a national competition standpoint for the entirety of its existence, basically exactly like the conference as a whole.

we're now just a part of the joke instead of laughing from the outside.

the B1G is a laughing stock of a conference, churning out mediocre teams year after year for as long as football has existed. with the exception of, what, half a dozen teams in the history of the conference, the B1G has been second-rate all the way in terms of competitive football.

your beloved iowa is the poster boy of B1G football. absolutely inconsequential from a national competition standpoint for the entirety of its existence, basically exactly like the conference as a whole.
You seriously think that or just because our team can’t win in it? I mean, in my eyes top to bottom the Big10 is the second best conference and has been for a while. Obviously the SEC has the best brand of all around football. The Pac12 is trash, the Big12 is trash and the ACC is a basketball conference or the Clemson conference, whatever you want to call it. Not sure how you can honestly think the Big10 is a below average football conference, unless you’re simply just comparing it to the SEC and calling the other 3 just trash conferences.

Reactions: wolve1972
You seriously think that or just because our team can’t win in it? I mean, in my eyes top to bottom the Big10 is the second best conference and has been for a while. Obviously the SEC has the best brand of all around football. The Pac12 is trash, the Big12 is trash and the ACC is a basketball conference or the Clemson conference, whatever you want to call it. Not sure how you can honestly think the Big10 is a below average football conference, unless you’re simply just comparing it to the SEC and calling the other 3 just trash conferences.
the B1G has won more than half of its bowl games just one time in the last 5 years

those are games against other conferences

the B1G is, very obviously, not consistently better than the ACC or Big 12. and the B1G certainly doesn't dominate the Rose Bowl against the Pac 12's best.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
The ACC is better than the Big10 this year without question.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
the B1G has won more than half of its bowl games just one time in the last 5 years

those are games against other conferences

the B1G is, very obviously, not consistently better than the ACC or Big 12. and the B1G certainly doesn't dominate the Rose Bowl against the Pac 12's best.
You forgetting the part that the Pac12 has yet to make the playoff and thus always slots there best team in the Rose while the Big10 usually drops a spot down accross the board as OSU is usually in the playoff? Also, do you not put any stock into playing all these bowl games basically in most of these teams back yards? Check out some of the colder climate bowl games and see how the southern schools faired in those. Check out Miami in the pin stripe a few years back, they didnt want to get off the bus. Why do you think no SEC schools will schedule home and home games with the Big10, is usually always a “neutral” site in Texas or somewhere. I was blown away when LSU actually agreed to play Wisconsin in Lambeau a few years ago and guess what happened, they lost. Thats the last time you’ll ever see them do that

Reactions: luvmyhawks
You forgetting the part that the Pac12 has yet to make the playoff and thus always slots there best team in the Rose while the Big10 usually drops a spot down accross the board as OSU is usually in the playoff? Also, do you not put any stock into playing all these bowl games basically in most of these teams back yards? Check out some of the colder climate bowl games and see how the southern schools faired in those. Check out Miami in the pin stripe a few years back, they didnt want to get off the bus. Why do you think no SEC schools will schedule home and home games with the Big10, is usually always a “neutral” site in Texas or somewhere. I was blown away when LSU actually agreed to play Wisconsin in Lambeau a few years ago and guess what happened, they lost. Thats the last time you’ll ever see them do that
Washington made the playoff in 2016. the B1G has been represented in the CFP just 1 time more than the Pac 12 from 2016-today.

you pointing out one-off anecdotes changes nothing about the B1G's overall lack of success against other conferences. there is no actual proof of its superiority over any amount of time.

fact is, the B1G is the same as the Big 12 and ACC competitively.

Washington made the playoff in 2016. the B1G has been represented in the CFP just 1 time more than the Pac 12 from 2016-today.

you pointing out one-off anecdotes changes nothing about the B1G's overall lack of success against other conferences. there is no actual proof of its superiority over any amount of time.

fact is, the B1G is the same as the Big 12 and ACC.
I had to check that as I was wrong. Big 10 has been in the playoffs 4/6 with one title. OSU blasted Oregon for the championship on the first CFP championship with their backup quarterback. Pac 12 has been in the playoffs 2/6 with no championships. Big 12 4/6 with no championship.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
the B1G has always been a joke on the field

so long as the money's good, we're getting exactly what we bargained for, right down to the non-competitive product we see on Saturdays

Honestly, if you take Urban Meyer out of the equation this Big Ten in both Football and Basketball has been pretty freaking lame when it comes to winning championships.

All academic standards were waved in order to accept Neb with the expectation of improving the conference in football - instead both the academic and the athletic prowess of the conference have been dragged down due to that regrettable decision

All academic standards were waved in order to accept Neb with the expectation of improving the conference in football - instead both the academic and the athletic prowess of the conference have been dragged down due to that regrettable decision

Northwestern carries weight in academics.

Purdue and Illinois carry weight in Computer Science and Engineering.

Iowa carries weight because it admits the Illinois HS students that can't get into Illinois.

MSU at least has the best packaging major in the world.

The rest of the degrees are pretty much only "important" in the region they are in.

Northwestern carries weight in academics.

Purdue and Illinois carry weight in Computer Science and Engineering.

Iowa carries weight because it admits the Illinois HS students that can't get into Illinois.

MSU at least has the best packaging major in the world.

The rest of the degrees are pretty much only "important" in the region they are in.
Michigan is a very good school

Since they're all playing witbin conference the number with winning records is meaningless.

What if the B1G had the 14 best teams in the history of college football but all of them were .500 because they split with each other?

Since they're all playing witbin conference the number with winning records is meaningless.

What if the B1G had the 14 best teams in the history of college football but all of them were .500 because they split with each other?

Which teams in the conference have impressed you this year? I think it is a fair question. I would appreciate a reply.

Last edited:

Well it obviously depends on just how you define "power". I'd say the B1G (along with the $EC) has more financial muscle/power than all the other conferences. So that would be another definition of "Power 5".

This is a weird year though for W-L comparisons because the B1G had NO non-conference schedule and therefore you can't compare the B1G to any other conference. So that's a bogus argument (at least until the playoffs and bowl games are played). The amount of conference teams with winning/losing records was mathematically preordained by purely playing each other in the conference. 50% of the teams had to win and 50% of the teams had to lose each game - no other mathematical possibility (unless there was a tie which is rare these days with OT).

I have read variations of this "Nebraska's academics are a joke" on this forum occasionally and just let it go, but I call BS this time. I went two years to a small, private East Coast school before obtaining my degrees in Lincoln. I had a terrific education in both places. In the 40+ years since I've been in college, I have worked both with and against people from schools all over the country. Never have I been at a disadvantage with my NU education. I have known lazy jerks who went through Ivy League schools on daddy's money and knew nothing, while one of the smartest people/best workers I have ever known went to Panhandle State University in Oklahoma. You get out of it what you put into it. I am from a large family and have siblings with NU educations in all walks of life all over the country. They all do just fine with their inferior Nebraska educations. A dear friend in the journalism business runs up against people from all the "name" J schools constantly; his NU journalism degree has kept him on top of his profession for 40 years. And just remember, it's all relative. My snooty Northwestern-graduate sister mocks Iowa academics unceasingly, insisting the only reason people go there is because they can't get into Northwestern or Illinois. In summary, bleep you

I have read variations of this "Nebraska's academics are a joke" on this forum occasionally and just let it go, but I call BS this time. I went two years to a small, private East Coast school before obtaining my degrees in Lincoln. I had a terrific education in both places. In the 40+ years since I've been in college, I have worked both with and against people from schools all over the country. Never have I been at a disadvantage with my NU education. I have known lazy jerks who went through Ivy League schools on daddy's money and knew nothing, while one of the smartest people/best workers I have ever known went to Panhandle State University in Oklahoma. You get out of it what you put into it. I am from a large family and have siblings with NU educations in all walks of life all over the country. They all do just fine with their inferior Nebraska educations. A dear friend in the journalism business runs up against people from all the "name" J schools constantly; his NU journalism degree has kept him on top of his profession for 40 years. And just remember, it's all relative. My snooty Northwestern-graduate sister mocks Iowa academics unceasingly, insisting the only reason people go there is because they can't get into Northwestern or Illinois. In summary, bleep you
PS. If you're gonna put down those of us with a Nebraska education, you might want to learn to differentiate (ooh, a big word!) between "wave" and "waive."

Which teams in the conference have impressed you this year? I think it is a fair question. I would appreciate a reply.
Indiana, OSU, NW, and at times Iowa, MD, PSU, NE, and even Rutgers. Since they're all playing each other it's hard to compare leagues to the rest of the country.

Well it obviously depends on just how you define "power". I'd say the B1G (along with the $EC) has more financial muscle/power than all the other conferences. So that would be another definition of "Power 5".

This is a weird year though for W-L comparisons because the B1G had NO non-conference schedule and therefore you can't compare the B1G to any other conference. So that's a bogus argument (at least until the playoffs and bowl games are played). The amount of conference teams with winning/losing records was mathematically preordained by purely playing each other in the conference. 50% of the teams had to win and 50% of the teams had to lose each game - no other mathematical possibility (unless there was a tie which is rare these days with OT).

the B1G has always been a joke on the field ... so long as the money's good, we're getting exactly what we bargained for, right down to the non-competitive product we see on Saturdays

giphy.gif

One of the dumber posts I've read in a while and that's saying something ....

tenor.gif

Reactions: Bigred_b1624

Man this X 10000000. Great post. I run into this all the time in construction and being blunt, I quit going after kids from Purdue, Iowa St and other big time engineering schools because I get way better kids from programs who are considered "inferior". Man great post, couldn't agree more.

Reactions: HuskerDubby
Indiana, OSU, NW, and at times Iowa, MD, PSU, NE, and even Rutgers. Since they're all playing each other it's hard to compare leagues to the rest of the country.

Well we cancelled OSU/Michigan game for no good reason.

Maybe we should change the conferences name from Big Ten to Big Pussies
??????

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT