ACC: $496.7 million
Big 12: $409.2 million

and per school payouts as well....

Big Ten: $54.3 million

SEC: $45.5 million
Big 12: $37 to $40.5 million*
Pac-12: $33.6 million
ACC: $30.9 to $37 million

The Big 12 used some of its reserves to prevent school payouts from being even lower.

That's WHY we're in the B1G 10 and not the Big 12. And I think the gap will grow after the next round of media negotiations. The Big 12 got a bigger deal than it actually deserved the last time. That is unless that fool of a commissioner we have screws it up.

So that's it? The money? Assumed that was the reason for the move besides hating the Horns. Hey, we hate them too but will not give up that rivalry. So being 10 years in the hole is worth an extra $10 million spread across the university? Was going to write something about whether you miss the Texas recruiting but not necessary now. Hope you have a winning season. But will not likely be enhanced in Norman. Miss you guys. Hope to make it to Lincoln on my bucket list college football tour.

Thank god for Bo Pelini at least being able to put up enough of a facade that the program was trending up to convince the Big to take Neb. No way the BIG would take Neb today. The deal was the conf would hold their nose regarding the academics in exchange for a blue blood football program on the rise. Neb is totally fleecing the conference.

So getting an extra $30 mil or so and not being a competitive football program was worth it? Hey, at least the female volleyball scholarships paid off. Not to be too snide. You guys are now competing against Iowa and Wisconsin to be viable instead of K-State and Colorado. Sad.

So getting an extra $30 mil or so and not being a competitive football program was worth it
If you ask the fans you will get mixed opinions. Ask that question to University administrators, they're going to laugh at you.

The extra $14-15M each year in sports revenue alone made the B10's offer of membership hard to refuse; the additional tens of millions more in academic research grants made a refusal impossible.

So that's it? The money? Assumed that was the reason for the move besides hating the Horns. Hey, we hate them too but will not give up that rivalry. So being 10 years in the hole is worth an extra $10 million spread across the university? Was going to write something about whether you miss the Texas recruiting but not necessary now. Hope you have a winning season. But will not likely be enhanced in Norman. Miss you guys. Hope to make it to Lincoln on my bucket list college football tour.
you're not welcome in Lincoln.

for the safety of yourself and your family, please, stay in trashlahoma.

You guys kept your rival when the B12 was formed. We did not.

Reactions: 9and4
Money and stability has always been what is driving conference realignment. I'm surprised that you you are just realizing this. When you have your daddy UT guiding decisions, your view of the world becomes skewed to their vision.

If I saw a dime of that mountain of cash I'd care more.. as it is I don't, and don't....and I hated the move before it was cool to do so.

Reactions: HuskersWay
So getting an extra $30 mil or so and not being a competitive football program was worth it? Hey, at least the female volleyball scholarships paid off. Not to be too snide. You guys are now competing against Iowa and Wisconsin to be viable instead of K-State and Colorado. Sad.

The reason why we have been not competitive recently has nothing to do with making extra money it had to do with our own bad decisions with a AD that had no business hiring a football coach when didn’t know to properly find one..

Last edited:
Big 12 is a joke if you are talking about talent in the league.

Reactions: wkato
The reason why we have been not competitive recently has nothing to do with making extra money it had to do with our own bad decisions with a AD that had no business hiring a football coach when didn’t know to properly find one..
Couldn't agree more. We would have been just as bad if we had remained in the Big 12, just poorer. It was due to BAD coaching, not switching conferences.

The access to the BIG 10 academic research money and the research/academic consortiums also is a HUGE overlooked reason by those fans with blinders on who only care about football and nothing else.

Reactions: wkato and nu2u

You seem to be suggesting that Big 12 football quality is less than that of the Big 10.

It is, of course, but Nebraska’s football struggles have nothing to do with the league they are in. NU’s struggles are 100% self-inflicted. But at least revenue has increased (dramatically), keeping NU in a great position when the football team finally turns it around.

Oh, and Colorado left the Big 12 - before Nebraska did.

Big 12 is a joke if you are talking about talent in the league.
its obvious the B12 is down overall and is not as deep as bigger conferences.
but i think we will find out how big a joke they are in september when neb plays OU. I think NEB can hang with them but i expect OU to win by 2-3 scores.
and keep in mind KSU and ISU both beat this very same OU team last year. and UT and OSU were pretty salty too.
so i wouldn't completely throw the entire league under the bus when it appears that neb would have trouble competing there as well.

Aw+Jeez,+not+this+shit+again!.jpg

That's WHY we're in the B1G 10 and not the Big 12. And I think the gap will grow after the next round of media negotiations. The Big 12 got a bigger deal than it actually deserved the last time. That is unless that fool of a commissioner we have screws it up.
I don't think the gap will grow at all. From everything I can see, football within the SEC footprint is all that matters.

There are a couple of teams across the country that can compete (Ohio State, from our conference) but most every other team outside that footprint, is sort of on the outside looking in. Next round of negotiations are going to favor teams in that zone, not the has beens from the north or west coasts.

I don't think the gap will grow at all. From everything I can see, football within the SEC footprint is all that matters.

There are a couple of teams across the country that can compete (Ohio State, from our conference) but most every other team outside that footprint, is sort of on the outside looking in. Next round of negotiations are going to favor teams in that zone, not the has beens from the north or west coasts.
The gap between the Big 10 and Big 12 conferences will grow IMO because the Big 12 received a bigger media deal than it actually deserved last time based on TV viewership relative to the other P5 conferences. That's what I mean.

Now of course you can choose to disagree if you want to keep trying to argue for a return to the Big 12. But we'll see when the next round of media contracts get renewed. And you're still ignoring the academic conference side for which the research activities of the Big 10 far outshine ANY other P5 conference, bar none.

Reactions: scarletred
You seem to be suggesting that Big 12 football quality is less than that of the Big 10.

It is, of course, but Nebraska’s football struggles have nothing to do with the league they are in. NU’s struggles are 100% self-inflicted. But at least revenue has increased (dramatically), keeping NU in a great position when the football team finally turns it around.

Oh, and Colorado left the Big 12 - before Nebraska did.
I think the quality is about the same. Big 10 has Ohio State and everyone else. Big 12 as OU and everyone else. Ohio state more successful re; CFP. But Huskers were in the easiest division, at least after Snyder retired and Colorado could never get it going. Iowa State only recently a competitor. But the decision was made. Only question is how long it will take the Huskers to be competitive at the CFP playoff level.

Do you think Nebraska's academic reputation has improved by joining the B1G? Is Nebraska attracting higher quality students? More out of state students?

P5 Conference revenue for FY20:

Big Ten: $768.9 million
SEC: $728.9 million
Pac-12: $533.8 million
ACC: $496.7 million
Big 12: $409.2 million

and per school payouts as well....

Big Ten: $54.3 million
SEC: $45.5 million
Big 12: $37 to $40.5 million*
Pac-12: $33.6 million
ACC: $30.9 to $37 million

The Big 12 used some of its reserves to prevent school payouts from being even lower.

The B12 figure also doesn’t include money from 3rd tier tv rights, which are owned by the schools since they don’t have a conference network. UT gets $15 million per year from ESPN, which puts them on par with the B1G payouts. OU receives $5 million per year from Fox Sports, which puts them on par with the SEC payouts. The 2 big dogs in that league ain’t hurting for money.

The gap between the Big 10 and Big 12 conferences will grow IMO because the Big 12 received a bigger media deal than it actually deserved last time based on TV viewership relative to the other P5 conferences. That's what I mean.

Now of course you can choose to disagree if you want to keep trying to argue for a return to the Big 12. But we'll see when the next round of media contracts get renewed. And you're still ignoring the academic conference side for which the research activities of the Big 10 far outshine ANY other P5 conference, bar none.
I didn't say anything about the Big 12. But the days of monster Big Ten Television contracts I think are over. The product from the Big 10 is not competitive or really even desirable in the overall football space. I spoke only about the importance of the SEC and that geographical area, which does include parts of other conferences, but I think the audience for football from the north or west isn't all that lucrative anymore.

I didn't say anything about the Big 12. But the days of monster Big Ten Television contracts I think are over. The product from the Big 10 is not competitive or really even desirable in the overall football space. I spoke only about the importance of the SEC and that geographical area, which does include parts of other conferences, but I think the audience for football from the north or west isn't all that lucrative anymore.
I can't imagine the new deals will be worth more than the old ones.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
It's a fallacy to think that the football TV ratings are solely determined by team rankings. The population footprint of the conference combined with the passion of the conference team fans are the most important factor in the longer term value of conference media rights contracts over several years.

And as just one example of B1G viewership power, the annual Michigan-Ohio State game typically is the highest ranked TV viewership game in college football. Even Nebraska continues to draw decent TV ratings although the team itself in recent years has played like crap.

Last edited:
Reactions: nu2u
And screw up he will. We definitely need Jim Delaney in these critical times. I have zero confidence in Warren to lead the B1G now that the SEC may be the elitist of the elite Power 5. Warren is out of his league and the B1G will be 2nd fiddle 🎻 to the SEC in payouts and this gap will widen as time goes on. The B1G needs to raid the ACC to keep up with the SEC if and when OU and Texas bolt

Hey all you RSS'ers that want Nebraska in the XII, now is your best chance to get the Huskers to move. The XII maybe looking to expand.

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u
Hey all you RSS'ers that want Nebraska in the XII, now is your best chance to get the Huskers to move. The XII maybe looking to expand.
They saw no other way to improve their conference esp now that Nebraska for sure isn’t coming back.

OU and UT will be fine.. Nebraska, well we already know what happened.. we adapted and this is baseline now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT