ADVERTISEMENT

The bias of the coasts

That because you are marines. :) Us midwest boys at Fort Knox all got Expert marksmanship and we were combat tankers. (just given you crap) We did have several marines in neighboring barracks and they got up late, didn't have much of a dress code. Worse part is they didnt do crap on the weekends. Weekends were just another day for us dog faces. That part pissed me off about them marine boys.
Growing up shooting with a scope or V rear sight, I had a hell of a time trying to center the front ball in the rear circle on an M-16. It was awkward for me and each of four years I barely qualified. The lowest level was "marksman" and designated by a shooting medal with a target on it. It was referred to as a "toilet seat". As far as your Marine Corps camp mates, they were probably bottom of the barrel Marines, which is why they were sent to an Army base so they could blend in there and not embarrass the Corps.

Yeah problem is you're COUNTING and not doing MATH to determine how safe something is. That's like saying you shouldn't drive the most popular car because it's been in way more accidents than the least popular car. Well no shit, there are way more of them being driven.

Here's a great article from of all places the Bismark Tribune that breaks down the actual murder rate if you're able to grasp heady concepts like "higher number of people means higher number of all the things that come with people. Chicago doesn't make the top 20. I promise you can't name the Top 10 without looking. But I'll give you a hint...better wear full body armor in Hartford, CT! Scaaaaary Connecticut!

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/nat..._5a789407-4d43-5403-ad56-7c47880bda8e.html#23
I expected Detroit and Baltimore. I was surprised about St Louis at the top and 2 cities being in Louisiana.

First of all, we are talking about a human life, not horse racing. There is no second chance. I'm willing to take risks, depending on the outcome. I take those risks when I drive back to Chicagoland to see my family. Secondly, look at the shooting rate, at 3326/2,700,000 = .001 or 0.1%, no so small anymore. These are just what happens with bullets, not to mention other crimes.

Most visitors to Chicago only think about the shopping and entertainment areas, but for people that have to live there day in and day out it is just not a safe place to live.

Do your Math confined to a few sections of town and then go there for an afternoon picnic. Parts of Chicago is scary violence.

I have lived in SoCal for 35 years. IMHO the “weather” argument is so overblown I can’t believe people who live in New York City and Bristol, CT make such a big deal out of it. So it gets cold and snows in NE for 4-5 months. BFD, you put on a jacket and drive a little slower. It got into the 90s inland from LA here in July and has been ever since except for a couple weeks. It was 89 on Thanksgiving. Do you know how SICK I am of it being hot??? Do you know how SICK I am of mowing my lawn every weekend because plants are only dormant two months out of the year? Have these people ever spent more than a week in Florida at a time? It gets hot and humid in June and stays that way until October. It gets so muggy you don’t even want to go outside out of the air conditioning. And sometimes it rains so hard windshield wipers on high do you no good. For a lot of people like me changing seasons is a good thing – falls are crisp, spring is wonderful, and winters give you time to slow down and reflect. The weather argument is like the “can’t recruit” argument is like the “no mountains/beaches” argument. It is just a stereotype that shallow people who are full of themselves on the coasts put forth to somehow make themselves feel more sophisticated and superior.
I have never lived in Florida for any extended period but having lived in SoCal i 100% can say "Yuuuuuuuuuuuuup" to the entire post you made! I feel the exact same way.

Growing up shooting with a scope or V rear sight, I had a hell of a time trying to center the front ball in the rear circle on an M-16. It was awkward for me and each of four years I barely qualified. The lowest level was "marksman" and designated by a shooting medal with a target on it. It was referred to as a "toilet seat". As far as your Marine Corps camp mates, they were probably bottom of the barrel Marines, which is why they were sent to an Army base so they could blend in there and not embarrass the Corps.
Another post i have to 100% agree with, except in my time it was referred to as "pizza box" medal. Being a city boy i had very little weapons training so i didnt have to re learn or fight bad habits so expert was easy to achieve. We always made fun of Army when they would come on base, you could spot them a mile away with their nasty boot blousing and horribly wrinkled uniforms they way they carried themselves was just nasty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT