ADVERTISEMENT

The bias of the coasts

Antwill

All-American
Dec 18, 2004
Not trying to make this a political post, but people at ESPN suffer from living in a bubble the same way people on the east and west coasts do in regards to understanding how people in "fly over country" think in regards to politics.

All they see and hear is what they are surrounded with and can't understand how Frost would want to come to Lincoln in the middle of nowhere where it's cold, there's nothing to do, and it's not a recruiting hotbed rather than staying in the awesome weather, excitement, and talent rich environment of Florida. They don't really understand what a special place Nebraska is with its storied program and history, but more so what a great place it is to put down roots and raise a family due to the people of the state.

There really is no place like Nebraska and I don't think many can understand that unless they actually live here for a period of time and experience it first hand.

I have lived in SoCal for 35 years. IMHO the “weather” argument is so overblown I can’t believe people who live in New York City and Bristol, CT make such a big deal out of it. So it gets cold and snows in NE for 4-5 months. BFD, you put on a jacket and drive a little slower. It got into the 90s inland from LA here in July and has been ever since except for a couple weeks. It was 89 on Thanksgiving. Do you know how SICK I am of it being hot??? Do you know how SICK I am of mowing my lawn every weekend because plants are only dormant two months out of the year? Have these people ever spent more than a week in Florida at a time? It gets hot and humid in June and stays that way until October. It gets so muggy you don’t even want to go outside out of the air conditioning. And sometimes it rains so hard windshield wipers on high do you no good. For a lot of people like me changing seasons is a good thing – falls are crisp, spring is wonderful, and winters give you time to slow down and reflect. The weather argument is like the “can’t recruit” argument is like the “no mountains/beaches” argument. It is just a stereotype that shallow people who are full of themselves on the coasts put forth to somehow make themselves feel more sophisticated and superior.

I have lived in SoCal for 35 years. IMHO the “weather” argument is so overblown I can’t believe people who live in New York City and Bristol, CT make such a big deal out of it. So it gets cold and snows in NE for 4-5 months. BFD, you put on a jacket and drive a little slower. It got into the 90s inland from LA here in July and has been ever since except for a couple weeks. It was 89 on Thanksgiving. Do you know how SICK I am of it being hot??? Do you know how SICK I am of mowing my lawn every weekend because plants are only dormant two months out of the year? Have these people ever spent more than a week in Florida at a time? It gets hot and humid in June and stays that way until October. It gets so muggy you don’t even want to go outside out of the air conditioning. And sometimes it rains so hard windshield wipers on high do you no good. For a lot of people like me changing seasons is a good thing – falls are crisp, spring is wonderful, and winters give you time to slow down and reflect. The weather argument is like the “can’t recruit” argument is like the “no mountains/beaches” argument. It is just a stereotype that shallow people who are full of themselves on the coasts put forth to somehow make themselves feel more sophisticated and superior.
Great post. I get that too here in eastern PA when people ask me "what the hell is there to do in Nebraska?" Or... "of course you sell out your stadium. What else is there to do in Nebraska?" Or... "how can you recruit to Nebraska where there are no mountains or nearby oceans?"

Yet the truth is, this area of eastern PA is a redneck shit hole. Everybody who lives here complains about the weather and how boring it is and how there is nothing to do except go hunting or fishing. And yeah... I have been in Florida in July. Holy shit. It is awful. Just as awful, if not worst, than Nebraska in February.

Let's be clear. There are biases everywhere. The people in the "flyover states" also talk about New York and LA as being full of crime where people are scared to leave their homes. Everyone has a different perspective. Be proud of who you are and where you live and try your best to screen out the naysayers.

Work hard. Be polite. Speak intelligently.

Do those things and the rest works itself out.

Not trying to make this a political post, but people at ESPN suffer from living in a bubble the same way people on the east and west coasts do in regards to understanding how people in "fly over country" think in regards to politics.

All they see and hear is what they are surrounded with and can't understand how Frost would want to come to Lincoln in the middle of nowhere where it's cold, there's nothing to do, and it's not a recruiting hotbed rather than staying in the awesome weather, excitement, and talent rich environment of Florida. They don't really understand what a special place Nebraska is with its storied program and history, but more so what a great place it is to put down roots and raise a family due to the people of the state.

There really is no place like Nebraska and I don't think many can understand that unless they actually live here for a period of time and experience it first hand.
Oh so those opinions are because of ESPN's East Coast bias?

Then the people who live in NE and constantly regurgitate them on this board, what accounts for them saying it all the time? That fat, ugly sister mentality of, "Oh nobody would ever love Lincoln Nebraska, I guess we'll just have to get bad kids and hope they're secretly good..."

Let's be clear. There are biases everywhere. The people in the "flyover states" also talk about New York and LA as being full of crime where people are scared to leave their homes. Everyone has a different perspective. Be proud of who you are and where you live and try your best to screen out the naysayers.

Work hard. Be polite. Speak intelligently.

Do those things and the rest works itself out.
Thank you. I've heard people from western NE talk about Omaha in terms of actual fear of the dangers of the *big city.*

And I hear plenty of people suggest that stepping foot in Chicago is a death sentence because they can't do math to realize there are almost 3 million people here so they don't realize that 600 out of 3 million is not a very impressive rate.

Having lived in D.C. and SoCal, generally each coast is somewhat blind to everything else. both coasts bash the midwest for weather, being red necks, etc, etc. But I know way more people who have left the coasts to move to the midwest because they wanted weather and wanted to be a red neck! LOL.

Thank you. I've heard people from western NE talk about Omaha in terms of actual fear of the dangers of the *big city.*

And I hear plenty of people suggest that stepping foot in Chicago is a death sentence because they can't do math to realize there are almost 3 million people here so they don't realize that 600 out of 3 million is not a very impressive rate.
That's just the murders (629 as of today). So far in 2017 there have been 3,326 shot so far. Every 2 hours and 23 minutes, someone is shot in Chicago.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
I have visited 37 states and 5 countries. Pros and cons to all of them, but trying to claim weather as a factor in any of them means you're completely full of yourself. Arizona, California, and Florida have sh*t weather just like Nebraska, Ohio or Wisconsin. People that try to claim otherwise are morons.

That's just the murders (629 as of today). So far in 2017 there have been 3,326 shot so far. Every 2 hours and 23 minutes, someone is shot in Chicago.
Good job. Now divide by 2,700,000 and tell me if that's a big percentage or nah. Like...do you get how population works? When you have millions of people, there are more of things but yet that doesn't actually make them any more likely to happen to you?

You know what, don't try to do math. I'll do it for you. That's a rate of 0.2%. As in not even close to 1%.

If I told you I had a race horse that would win about 2 out of every 1,000 races, would you bet on him?

I love God's world and all its weather. Mainly Spring and Fall. That's why when my daughter grows up :(, love her so much, I will move to Hawaii where the weather is as close to spring and Fall all year round and the football is terrible despite all those big Samoan guys...so much for good weather and excellent football being linked ;)

I moved from California to Nebraska. Trust me, there are plenty of biases in the Midwest too. I absolutely love Nebraska and I couldn't imagine going back to California, but there are stereotypes *everywhere* including Nebraska. I couldn't tell you how many people in Nebraska thought that all I did in California was surf, go to rock concerts, and smoke dope.

This is nothing new. SI which drove the sports world bus prior to ESPN only gave Nebraska compliments begrudgingly during the TO era. I remember when CU under Bill McCartney beat the Huskers in Lincoln for the first time. The SI writer included in his story on the game that Buff fans who were in Memorial Stadium were chanting something to effect of how glad they were that they didn't live in Nebraska. What that had to do with the game? I don't know, but it was just another knock at the state and how uncool it was in the writer's mind. It really pissed me off

Reactions: Sinomatic
No where did I say that there aren't biases everywhere else, including the Midwest. My point was not to attack those on the coasts but to point out what I think are their perceptions of Lincoln and why very few of them were initially saying that Frost would accept the Husker job.

Good job. Now divide by 2,700,000 and tell me if that's a big percentage or nah. Like...do you get how population works? When you have millions of people, there are more of things but yet that doesn't actually make them any more likely to happen to you?

You know what, don't try to do math. I'll do it for you. That's a rate of 0.2%. As in not even close to 1%.

If I told you I had a race horse that would win about 2 out of every 1,000 races, would you bet on him?
First of all, we are talking about a human life, not horse racing. There is no second chance. I'm willing to take risks, depending on the outcome. I take those risks when I drive back to Chicagoland to see my family. Secondly, look at the shooting rate, at 3326/2,700,000 = .001 or 0.1%, no so small anymore. These are just what happens with bullets, not to mention other crimes.

Most visitors to Chicago only think about the shopping and entertainment areas, but for people that have to live there day in and day out it is just not a safe place to live.

First of all, we are talking about a human life, not horse racing. There is no second chance. I'm willing to take risks, depending on the outcome. I take those risks when I drive back to Chicagoland to see my family. Secondly, look at the shooting rate, at 3326/2,700,000 = .001 or 0.1%, no so small anymore. These are just what happens with bullets, not to mention other crimes.

Most visitors to Chicago only think about the shopping and entertainment areas, but for people that have to live there day in and day out it is just not a safe place to live.
I live at Addison and Milwaukee, and work in the Loop. But thanks for telling me how I feel about where I live, work, and raise my kids. They even attend public schools, so holy crap! Imminent mortal danger!! Your trips to "Chicagoland" probably give you better perspective anyway.

Reactions: TheBeav815
I moved from California to Nebraska. Trust me, there are plenty of biases in the Midwest too. I absolutely love Nebraska and I couldn't imagine going back to California, but there are stereotypes *everywhere* including Nebraska. I couldn't tell you how many people in Nebraska thought that all I did in California was surf, go to rock concerts, and smoke dope.
They didn't give you credit for snacking a lot, too?Winking

I live at Addison and Milwaukee, and work in the Loop. But thanks for telling me how I feel about where I live, work, and raise my kids. They even attend public schools, so holy crap! Imminent mortal danger!! Your trips to "Chicagoland" probably give you better perspective anyway.

I didn't tell you how you should feel. This this about how safe Chicago is. You may have your own ideas of what you call "safe" it's just not the same as mine.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I guess as you get older the “stuff to do” becomes less important. For me it’s just too many people. When I get in a city it all starts to close in on me and I can’t wait to get back to my home in the sticks. With the internet I can see anything buy anything learn about anything and not have to put up with “teeming masses”.

Last edited:
I guess as you get older the “stuff to do” becomes less important. For me it’s just too many people. When I get in a city it all starts to close in on me and I can’t to get back to my home in the sticks. With the internet I can see anything buy anything learn about anything and not have to put up with “teeming masses”.
Agree. I rarely go the short 25 miles into LA. When I moved to SoCal every weekend was beach, mountains, Hollywood Bowl, Irvine Meadows (concerts), Rams games, Angeles games, Lakers games, etc. Flash forward 35 years and it is work on my yard, work on my cars, go to Home Depot, go to the gym. I can do that anywhere in the USA darn near.

Reactions: maingate69

Don't a lot of Nebraska fans say the same thing about Iowa?

I've worked in Chicago quite a bit and when we're there it's outdoors and not in the good parts of town and I've never been scared. The paranoia of non-Chicagoans about your city is ludicrous in my opinion.

Reactions: TheBeav815
I've worked in Chicago quite a bit and when we're there it's outdoors and not in the good parts of town and I've never been scared. The paranoia of non-Chicagoans about your city is ludicrous in my opinion.

I agree with Chicago being 'scary' is overblown. But I would never want to liver there due to their horribly run government.

I didn't tell you how you should feel. This this about how safe Chicago is. You may have your own ideas of what you call "safe" it's just not the same as mine.
Yeah problem is you're COUNTING and not doing MATH to determine how safe something is. That's like saying you shouldn't drive the most popular car because it's been in way more accidents than the least popular car. Well no shit, there are way more of them being driven.

Here's a great article from of all places the Bismark Tribune that breaks down the actual murder rate if you're able to grasp heady concepts like "higher number of people means higher number of all the things that come with people. Chicago doesn't make the top 20. I promise you can't name the Top 10 without looking. But I'll give you a hint...better wear full body armor in Hartford, CT! Scaaaaary Connecticut!

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/nat..._5a789407-4d43-5403-ad56-7c47880bda8e.html#23

It's super hard for people to grasp that if you're not in a gang it's highly unlikely that anyone is interested in murdering you.

Reactions: Can o' corn

Aren’t those the same statistics you argue against every single time there is a shooting?

True story. When I went to boot camp at Fort Knox Ky the Drill Sgt went around doing his thing insulting us and all that jazz. When it was my turn he asked where I was from. I said Nebraska. Once it was over I had several other recruits ask me how I got to Kentucky. I said I flew and took a bus from Lexington to Fort Knox just like you. They thought I was lying that we had planes in Nebraska. These people honestly thought we didn't have indoor plumbing or cars. The ones asking these questions were always from the east coast.

As an older person my goal now is to move to such a remote part of the country where I won't get TV reception, or neighbors for miles in any direction.

Aren’t those the same statistics you argue against every single time there is a shooting?

The fact that there is an every time is what we as a country should focus on. What we can do to make it an only time type situation should be the ultimate result.

True story. When I went to boot camp at Fort Knox Ky the Drill Sgt went around doing his thing insulting us and all that jazz. When it was my turn he asked where I was from. I said Nebraska. Once it was over I had several other recruits ask me how I got to Kentucky. I said I flew and took a bus from Lexington to Fort Knox just like you. They thought I was lying that we had planes in Nebraska. These people honestly thought we didn't have indoor plumbing or cars. The ones asking these questions were always from the east coast.

As an older person my goal now is to move to such a remote part of the country where I won't get TV reception, or neighbors for miles in any direction.
Related story, sort of. The Marine Corps sends recruits from west of the Mississippi to San DIego and east of the river to Parris Island. So my boot camp platoon at MCRD San Diego was a bunch of guys from Oklahoma, Wyoming, etc. who had grown up with guns. One guy from urban New Jersey for some reason was sent to San Diego. He had never even seen a gun. He ended up being our top shooting expert. Seems all of us good ole boys had bad shooting habits the Marine Corps couldn't correct, but this guy was a blank slate.

The fact that there is an every time is what we as a country should focus on. What we can do to make it an only time type situation should be the ultimate result.
According to Beav, the percentage is minimal. Don’t you know how to do math? Beav’s words, not mine...

Related story, sort of. The Marine Corps sends recruits from west of the Mississippi to San DIego and east of the river to Parris Island. So my boot camp platoon at MCRD San Diego was a bunch of guys from Oklahoma, Wyoming, etc. who had grown up with guns. One guy from urban New Jersey for some reason was sent to San Diego. He had never even seen a gun. He ended up being our top shooting expert. Seems all of us good ole boys had bad shooting habits the Marine Corps couldn't correct, but this guy was a blank slate.

That because you are marines. :) Us midwest boys at Fort Knox all got Expert marksmanship and we were combat tankers. (just given you crap) We did have several marines in neighboring barracks and they got up late, didn't have much of a dress code. Worse part is they didnt do crap on the weekends. Weekends were just another day for us dog faces. That part pissed me off about them marine boys.

Best part of this thread is that it is about the coasts and everyone is talking about Chicago :p

Do you or would you go to dinner on the South Side of Chicago. They have good food I am told.

I agree with Chicago being 'scary' is overblown. But I would never want to liver there due to their horribly run government.
I would never want to live there but I love the hotdog places, great pizza by the slice, and Tony's Finer Foods.

ADVERTISEMENT