ADVERTISEMENT

The Better Team Won

otismotis08

Head Coach
Jan 5, 2012
parts unknown
Quite simply, BYU was the better team yesterday. They won the game without two of their top players.

Neither team is a world-beater. We are a very ho-hum, average college football team at this point. There is a ton of work to do. The question is...will they do the work?

Reactions: nothingkevin
Quite simply, BYU was the better team yesterday. They won the game without two of their top players.

Neither team is a world-beater. We are a very ho-hum, average college football team at this point. There is a ton of work to do. The question is...will they do the work?

It took 2 Hail Marys and awful husker coaching for the "better" team to win.

Wake up we should have won.

Both teams seemed about equal, but BYU certainly had one more second of being better in them. Too bad for Nebraska that the coaches didn't utilize Tommy's running abilities more on those last two drives. And I would have gone for it on 4th down instead of trying the fg. That's just me.

Reactions: mountainmann
Do you think saban, meyer lose that game. Hell no.
Do you think those coaches would have recruited most of the players on our current roster? Nope. As I said before the game yesterday...we have quite a bit of work to do, especially defensively in regards to talent. The further away we got from the Callahan years the worse our talent was on defense under Pelini. Hopefully Riley and company can recrui the necessary players.

Nebraska was the better team. We just got outplayed by one player 20 percent of the time and totally blew it on the last play.

This loss might be the best thing to happen long term.

Do you think those coaches would have recruited most of the players on our current roster? Nope. As I said before the game yesterday...we have quite a bit of work to do, especially defensively in regards to talent. The further away we got from the Callahan years the worse our talent was on defense under Pelini. Hopefully Riley and company can recrui the necessary players.

Didn't Saban lose a bunch of games his first year at Alabama??????????????????????????????????????

I'll answer it for you... YES.

Edit
***response to elvis***

good point.
morning after my drunkin stupor thoughts:
I am still sick from the loss and i have just sent the family to church without me because I don't even want to deal with the folks that want to talk about it. (I am in sec country)
I know that we have to get more talent in the program, but there are definitely people doing more with less out there.
Lets hope this is a wake up call for everybody within the program. I have a feeling it won't be though. It Still seems that a lot of people think they are way better than they really are and some still have not put in the work to be better (brown). Yes it was windy, but after missing so many last year, you think he would come in ready. I will give him a break on one, but TWO???
Absolutely Ridiculous.
I know, I know, Its only one game and it didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. This is true, but if things don't get better, we could be in for a very long season and it is not going to make recruiting any easier.
Now Is The Time We Get To See If These Coaches Can Truly Coach.
"Here We Go" indeed.

Saban had a field goal returned for a TD to lose the chance at a conference and national title.

Fail

Reactions: 94husker
talking mess about saban is pointless... come on now...
He has his program where everyone else wants to be. Give him his credit , there is no denying his success. Urban has had the success aswell. You can't take it away from them, you just have to look at our program and move forward to try and get even or past the level they are at.
It's Going To Be Tough.

talking mess about saban is pointless... come on now...
He has his program where everyone else wants to be. Give him his credit , there is no denying his success. Urban has had the success aswell. You can't take it away from them, you just have to look at our program and move forward to try and get even or past the level they are at.
It's Going To Be Tough.

Not talkin mess about Saban just pointing out he has loss crazy games like this too.

That is true.
And I agree with the original post except the part about BYU being the better team yesterday.
We had the game won for a reason.
Never the less, Its Time To Get To Work Alright!

right...
We didn't start running the ball with some consistency and the goal posts would have been carried all the way to grand island had they not caught the hail marry...

I will agree to diagree on which team was actually "better".
The scoreboard IS all that matters and we did Not win there.
Lets all just hope these coaches and players can Improve Greatly over the next couple weeks. That Has Got To Happen reguardless

Do you think saban, meyer lose that game. Hell no.

Why, you're absolutely right. It's clear that Riley will fail here after watching this game. I said all along we should have hired James Franklin. What's that? Temple? You're kidding, right?

What I mean is we should have hired Chris Peterson....that would have been a slam dunk. Hmm? What? Boise State? Wasn't that his old team?

If we had a coach the caliber of Jim Harbaugh we'd be national championship contenders after one game, surely. Utah? Hmm.

Well, what I meant to say is, we should run our program like Texas. When Texas sees the need for a change, they go out and hire a sure fire winner, like Charlie Strong.

It is my sincere wish for you, and all the others who just couldn't wait to pound your chest over what you perceive as validation, that you enjoy your moment. I don't know what you saw yesterday, but I saw a team that was very young and starting out on the path forward. The moment in the sun for all the haters is here, so revel in it. Your time for crowing about it will end soon enough.

Don't know if MR is the answer, but yesterday certainly wasn't a ringing endorsement.
Either way, BYU was the better team. They earned the W.

There are things that you can put on Riley being a new coach/ not having the players to do what he wants to do. Then there are things such as the end of game management (how does this happen with all his coaching experience?) and the feel to the post game presser that make me think the guy might just not be a winner.

doesn't matter who the better team was

teams up by 1 with one second remaining with the opposing team on the 42 yardline win those games 99% of the time.
We gave a W away

teams up by 1 with one second remaining with the opposing team on the 42 yardline win those games 99% of the time.
We gave a W away
And the Nebraska fans call Iowa the Choke eyes...Laughing All joking aside from an outsider looking in, I thought Nebraska actually looked good. You have a lot of talent, tackling looked much better and your coach wasn't a raving lunatic on the sideline. You got beat on a freak, lucky play at the end. I would have at least put some pressure on the freshman QB on the hail mary. I think Nebraska will make some noise in the West and could possibly win the West...Lots of talent on the Husker sideline...

Last edited:
The teams were a pretty even match. We had it in our hands and piddled it away. On the last play we had 8 guys in the end zone to their 3, and we still let them take it. Gotta want it.

Reactions: suhnami
Thx for being honest. You recruit top 40 maybe top 30, it's probably where you end up. We are top a top 20 team. There's too much parity fir a place like Neb to recruit top talent. Yes, we'll get the occasional Ameer because he's too small to play at the Alabama's, or the Gregory's who don't have the grades. But face it, top 25 is more realistic and the norm

One overall feeling i have is BYU wanted the win more. I didnt think Nebraska was the tougher team.

Sad thing is they were right there at the end.

BYU has the following team recruiting rankings over the last four years...

To blame the loss on talent is dumb. We were the more talented team but had too many penalties and made too many mistakes...particularly in the 4th quarter. Some of that was coaching some of that was our players not having a good football sense.

bronco outcoached us on the short yardage plays and byu was better on both sides of the LOS. Unreal how bad our OL was.

And the Nebraska fans call Iowa the Choke eyes...Laughing All joking aside from an outsider looking in, I thought Nebraska actually looked good. You have a lot of talent, tackling looked much better and your coach wasn't a raving lunatic on the sideline. You got beat on a freak, lucky play at the end. I would have at least put some pressure on the freshman QB on the hail mary. I think Nebraska will make some noise in the West and could possibly win the West...Lots of talent on the Husker sideline...

Everyone knows Hawkeye fans don't know what they're talking about.

To blame the loss on talent is dumb. We were the more talented team but had too many penalties and made too many mistakes...particularly in the 4th quarter. Some of that was coaching some of that was our players not having a good football sense.
So Nebraska's inability to run the ball, plus the fact that Armstrong was running for his life on many of his pass attempts - that has nothing to do with the talent level on the offensive line?

The mental mistakes were frustrating, and need to be cleaned up. But convert any number of third-and-very-short situations, and the game doesn't come down to missed FGs or a Hail Mary.

Last edited:

We gave a W away

Disagree. You remove our best offensive player and best defensive player midway through the game (and BYU gets to keep theirs) and you really think we still win? They were playing short-handed and still got scoreboard, on the road.

Disagree. You remove our best offensive player and best defensive player midway through the game (and BYU gets to keep theirs) and you really think we still win? They were playing short-handed and still got scoreboard, on the road.
All of us certainly need more time to evaluate, but part of the Husker success in the second half may have been their qb playing on a broken foot and their all-world nose guard getting injured.

Take TA and Collins out of the game...we really don't win. BYU was better and they won. Scoreboard.
By "scoreboard" are you suggesting that the better team always wins the game? Because that is clearly wrong. We were, without a doubt, better in the 2nd half. Even before hill left the game. We missed a number of opportunities to put the game away. BYU deserves credit for pulling it out of their a$$ to win it.

By "scoreboard" are you suggesting that the better team always wins the game? Because that is clearly wrong. We were, without a doubt, better in the 2nd half. Even before hill left the game. We missed a number of opportunities to put the game away. BYU deserves credit for pulling it out of their a$$ to win it.

No. They looked like a better team, played like it, and won the game...without their two best players.
If you think we were the better team, I'll never understand.

But I will play your what-if game. If we have rose-ivy, folz, and DPE, aren't we much better?

But I will play your what-if game. If we have rose-ivy, folz, and DPE, aren't we much better?

You can play this all day. What if they had no suspensions either?
The point is...with what BYU brought on Saturday, they were better. Played better, coached better, and won the game.

Scary as I havent seen any amazing recruiting powers thus far. In fact, we just lost a QB recruit to Oregon.

BYU looked better in the 2nd quarter, that's it. If hill stays 100% healthy for the entire game, then I am sure the teams look more even in the 2nd half, as opposed to NU being clearly the better team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT