ADVERTISEMENT

The basketball coach must go...

Ostreet

Jan 27, 2019
Fire Miles, has had his chance and never came close, except for maybe last year when the Huskers got rail-roaded out of the tournament. Let the basketball people breath again with a new dynamic young and brilliant savior. Make it happen people!

Last edited:
I would give both Miles and Erstad a lifetime contract. The revolving door of coaches isn't working. They're both capable coaches, so I'd work with them to change the assistant coaching staff, address recruiting shortcomings, improve facilities, etc. to field a better team.

Who are these basketball people?
white-men-cant-jump.jpg

OR
MV5BNTIyYjc5NzItOThmYS00ZmMzLWI4MWYtMWE0OTA3MmI2MWE2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_CR0,45,480,270_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

OR
MV5BZTgzMTY0MzUtYTE3Ni00MDQ1LThhZGMtNmI3OTY0MDMwYjZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

Make it happen OP Ostreet you're doing great so far

jackiemoon.gif

Maybe we can hire J Moon to help the basketball people shoot and "breath"

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
Fire or hang Miles, has had his chance and never came close, except for maybe last year when the Huskers got rail-roaded out of the tournament. Let the basketball people breath again with a new dynamic young and brilliant savior. Make it happen people!
You are about as intelligent as a telephone post. Good grief

this years team does make me hesitant to think last years team was screwed over. Maybe the B1G was just bad last year and the tourney committee was right not inviting NU. Maybe the NIT was right not giving NU a better seed last year and a home game. All signs point to yes. Hard to argue the other way

Reactions: SC_'sker
Fire Miles, has had his chance and never came close, except for maybe last year when the Huskers got rail-roaded out of the tournament. Let the basketball people breath again with a new dynamic young and brilliant savior. Make it happen people!

When I watch the Huskers under Miles I never see consistent scoring. They always seem to be a very streaky team. I don't think Miles system lends itself to easy shots. Last night they showed it again by shooting very poorly. They couldn't buy a basket inside. Some of the shots didn't even get above the rim. Some writers on this Board defending Miles have cited the remarks made earlier in the season by Jay Bilas that the Huskers are a tournament team. They don't look like one to me.

I give up. I don’t even bother clicking on anything basketball after a lose. I Did this time just to say my part. Man, for a while now, every time we lose a game, we have to hear about how Miles needs fired. Now I’m not for or against him. But it’s a little ridiculous that every time we lose we have to hear about how and why Miles needs fired. It doesn’t matter if it was a fluke lose, doesn’t matter if it was 100% on the players or anything like that. It’s straight to fire the head coach. It just Gets old seeing the same thing over and over again after ever lose regardless the reason.

Reactions: artguy68
When I watch the Huskers under Miles I never see consistent scoring. They always seem to be a very streaky team. I don't think Miles system lends itself to easy shots. Last night they showed it again by shooting very poorly. They couldn't buy a basket inside. Some of the shots didn't even get above the rim. Some writers on this Board defending Miles have cited the remarks made earlier in the season by Jay Bilas that the Huskers are a tournament team. They don't look like one to me.

All husker coaches devolve into the same mess because we cannot bring in depth and consistent talent. We are the worst program in power 5 history. If a kid can shoot, defend, dunk, pass he is going to another place. We therefore have to deal with flawed players...guys who can slash but not shoot, or guys who can shoot but can't defend or get to the rim or produce their own shot. So you either have guys who can score at the rim...like we do now, or a team of shooters who can't produce their own shot, like we have had in the past...and that team likely can't defend because their athleticism is lacking. Miles is a competent recruiter, a positive guy who creates momentum when things go right. If you think our program is a top NCAA program then he probably should be fired...but he is the best we have had in 20 years...so firing so soon is not wise.

I'll give you the inconsistent scoring and very streaky team. What was disappointing last night about the poor shooting was nearly all of them were good looks - either outside jumpers or in the paint. They looked like the ghost of Richard Van Poelgeest from everywhere on the court. It also didn't help that there were about 5-7 times where we played great defense to get them at 5 seconds on the shot clock - and they buried every single one of them.

All husker coaches devolve into the same mess because we cannot bring in depth and consistent talent. We are the worst program in power 5 history. If a kid can shoot, defend, dunk, pass he is going to another place. We therefore have to deal with flawed players...guys who can slash but not shoot, or guys who can shoot but can't defend or get to the rim or produce their own shot. So you either have guys who can score at the rim...like we do now, or a team of shooters who can't produce their own shot, like we have had in the past...and that team likely can't defend because their athleticism is lacking. Miles is a competent recruiter, a positive guy who creates momentum when things go right. If you think our program is a top NCAA program then he probably should be fired...but he is the best we have had in 20 years...so firing so soon is not wise.
Wow. Most lucent thing I think I've ever seen you post. That said, I've been a Miles supporter and I've about had it. Part of it has been that some of his most talented guys have been transfers that haven't all exactly been the best team guys IMO. I watched Palmer sniping at his team mates last night and it made my stomach turn. What do you do? Miles has brought in some good players but not enough of them. In addition while I have defended his offense to some degree, I'm not a fan of it. It takes great talent to run it consistently and we don't have that. The bottom line is that we have to recruit better then retain those recruits if we're ever going to compete at a high level. I'm not sure anymore that Miles can do that. I hate turnover but I'm afraid that's what it is going to take. I've enjoyed watching guys with actual talent and the ability to compete. I haven't enjoyed the inconsistency and lack of depth.

I'll give you the inconsistent scoring and very streaky team. What was disappointing last night about the poor shooting was nearly all of them were good looks - either outside jumpers or in the paint. They looked like the ghost of Richard Van Poelgeest from everywhere on the court. It also didn't help that there were about 5-7 times where we played great defense to get them at 5 seconds on the shot clock - and they buried every single one of them.

Good looks dont really mean anything when u dont have good outside shooters. It just means u miss open shots instead of contested shots.

Finding shooters in todays game has really never been easier than it is now. Hell ur 6 ftoot 9 guys can hit threes now.

TM has never been able to recruit enough shooters or bigs during his time here. It is what it is.

Time for a change.

I know people hate the comparisons to Creighton, but if they can make and win NCAA tournament games, then there is no reason why Nebraska cannot at least reach that same level. I am so tired of the good players won't come here crap. We have a handful of 4 and 5 star players on the team who have under performed. If they were playing for McDermott would they have also under performed. Outside of his kid, they haven't had anyone even get regular minutes in the NBA, but they still win games, make the tournament and win tournament games. No one is asking for Final 4s, just a product that can be competitive in the Big Ten, get an NCAA berth on occasion and win won every now and again.

Revolving doors for head coaches has always been a great strategy. Players love it, recruits love it, fans love it, and the results are incredible! I look forward to 5 years of struggle while we wait for "the process". Then we can just throw that one away and start over again again!

you mean sort of like the 7 years been waiting with Tim Miles...who has not recruited any depth in seven years what so ever...driven off any possible players for that missing depth....and admits his team is soft? Sure...let's stay the course with this.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Revolving doors for head coaches has always been a great strategy. Players love it, recruits love it, fans love it, and the results are incredible! I look forward to 5 years of struggle while we wait for "the process". Then we can just throw that one away and start over again again!

Cause 7 years and one ncaa tourney appearance and no wins in the post season is good enough?

At some point you have to ask yourself whether you can honestly expect the one coming in to be better than the one going out. I'd say the decision is made based on who Moos has in his pocket, and if he doesn't have a ringer, what's the point of firing Miles? For the fan base, it might be a reason for temporary hope, but for the student-athletes it is very disruptive.

Or if the team all hates Miles, that would be another reason, but I have never heard anything like that.

7 years doesn't seem like an out-of-control revolving door to me, but I could be wrong.

This thread is a great example of the complacency for Husker basketball....I guess we are suppose to not expect progress after 5 or 6 or even 7 years as it has been with Miles.
I don't think anyone expects top ten championship basketball teams. However, it makes no sense that we can't field a competitive team. One that doesn't completely and routinely fade in the back half of the season. That is a result of poor coaching.

Right, but hardly any of these student-athletes will be back next year anyway, and no guarantee a bunch more won't transfer out if Miles is retained, as has already happened before.

But it's definitely important that Moos has done some research on replacements. I'm sure he has, and if no change is made, that will be telling.

Reactions: HuskerDana

HEY! HEY!, HO! HO!

I know people hate the comparisons to Creighton, but if they can make and win NCAA tournament games, then there is no reason why Nebraska cannot at least reach that same level. I am so tired of the good players won't come here crap. We have a handful of 4 and 5 star players on the team who have under performed. If they were playing for McDermott would they have also under performed. Outside of his kid, they haven't had anyone even get regular minutes in the NBA, but they still win games, make the tournament and win tournament games. No one is asking for Final 4s, just a product that can be competitive in the Big Ten, get an NCAA berth on occasion and win won every now and again.

AGREE with you 100%

At some point you have to ask yourself whether you can honestly expect the one coming in to be better than the one going out. I'd say the decision is made based on who Moos has in his pocket, and if he doesn't have a ringer, what's the point of firing Miles? For the fan base, it might be a reason for temporary hope, but for the student-athletes it is very disruptive.

Or if the team all hates Miles, that would be another reason, but I have never heard anything like that.
Therein lies the conundrum. Nebraska has been a career killer for basketball coaches. I don't know what the answer is. It isn't like we're mediocre. We're below mediocre. When maybe the best basketball team ever at NU didn't even get an NCAA invite but won the NIT, there's an intrinsic problem for your school. I don't know if there's a coach in America who can get us higher than Miles but in HINDSIGHT, we've lost 3 starters and one backup to transfers from our team over the past 2 years who IF we still had them could have made a helluva difference this year. People discounted losing Jordy, but he sure would have helped. That's the issue I'm having trouble with right now. Something's not right when starters leave. At the very least we have to examine how our staff is interacting with our players. I need to eat some crow on that because there were people who were all over that when Morrow and Jacobsen left and I discounted it at that time. Those 2 guys played hard. They weren't the best players in America and I thought they could be replaced. What obviously hasn't been replaced was their work ethic.

The football program is going to get better
The basketball program will be worse
It's the way of things

*Don't forget Miles uses Twitter!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT