3Florida State615-56
4Maryland8732-55
5UCLA7116-55
6Illinois10855-53
7Nebraska7625-51
8Tennessee6213-49
9Vanderbilt9951-48
10Kansas11770-47

Well, there it is. The Power 5 programs that are doing less with more since 2017. If your favorite team made this list, you can’t act too surprised. The common theme among the top 10 is fairly obvious, too. Each program has gone through at least one head coaching change since 2017, and a few have experienced multiple firings.

Overachievers: Power 5​

TEAMRANK247+/-
1Iowa State1957+38
2Iowa844+36
3Wisconsin1140+29
4Boston College4572+27
5Northwestern3052+22
6Oklahoma State1838+20
7Kansas State4464+20
8Wake Forest4160+19
9Utah2136+15
10Indiana3853+15
The first impression here? This list is pretty darn Midwestern.

Iowa State is 32-19 in the past four years under Matt Campbell despite never signing a top-40 recruiting class. That staff has built up their program to the point that their three-stars are becoming all-conference players, so it’s not surprising to see them top the list. The Cyclones’ rival Iowa has been sneaky good in recent years — would you have guessed the Hawkeyes were a top-10 team in the Massey ratings over this four-year period? — and is usually going to rate highly in assessments like these under Kirk Ferentz. - The Athletic

Iowa State has found a way on the list with Matt Campbell. Same for Indiana under Tom Allen, of late. Typically, they have been more like Rutgers or Kansas, on this list.

Will PJ Fleck find his way there? It may have to be post-Tanner Morgan?

Dr. Tom Osborne found balance over his 27 years. A mix of high recruiting and strong walk-on program.

It will be interesting to watch what Bret Bielema does on this list?

Look where his most recent college team and his new team are in The Athletic article.

Ultimately, does Scott Frost have a modern identity in Lincoln?

He was a player under Coach Osborne, who was one of the best of all-time. He coached under Coach Kelly at Oregon, whose present team is also on the list.

The wrong one.

Underachievers: Power 5​

TEAMRANK247+/-
1Arkansas10330-73
2Rutgers11254-58
3Florida State615-56
4Maryland8732-55
5UCLA7116-55
6Illinois10855-53
7Nebraska7625-51
8Tennessee6213-49
9Vanderbilt9951-48
10Kansas11770-47

Well, there it is. The Power 5 programs that are doing less with more since 2017. If your favorite team made this list, you can’t act too surprised. The common theme among the top 10 is fairly obvious, too. Each program has gone through at least one head coaching change since 2017, and a few have experienced multiple firings.

Overachievers: Power 5​

TEAMRANK247+/-
1Iowa State1957+38
2Iowa844+36
3Wisconsin1140+29
4Boston College4572+27
5Northwestern3052+22
6Oklahoma State1838+20
7Kansas State4464+20
8Wake Forest4160+19
9Utah2136+15
10Indiana3853+15
The first impression here? This list is pretty darn Midwestern.

Iowa State is 32-19 in the past four years under Matt Campbell despite never signing a top-40 recruiting class. That staff has built up their program to the point that their three-stars are becoming all-conference players, so it’s not surprising to see them top the list. The Cyclones’ rival Iowa has been sneaky good in recent years — would you have guessed the Hawkeyes were a top-10 team in the Massey ratings over this four-year period? — and is usually going to rate highly in assessments like these under Kirk Ferentz. - The Athletic

Iowa State has found a way on the list with Matt Campbell. Same for Indiana under Tom Allen, of late. Typically, they have been more like Rutgers or Kansas, on this list.

Will PJ Fleck find his way there? It may have to be post-Tanner Morgan?

Dr. Tom Osborne found balance over his 27 years. A mix of high recruiting and strong walk-on program.

It will be interesting to watch what Bret Bielema does on this list?

Look where his most recent college team and his new team are in The Athletic article.

Ultimately, does Scott Frost have a modern identity in Lincoln?

He was a player under Coach Osborne, who was one of the best of all-time. He coached under Coach Kelly at Oregon, whose present team is also on the list.

The wrong one.
Of course the iowa schools are 1 & 2 on the list of doing more with less. Nobody starts with less than them.

Thanks for the breaking news op, it's like this was never known by you know, watch the games live.

Turn the one drive losses into wins and it goes from under to over overnight.

Wait. Iowa, who finished two of the last four seasons unranked and the other two seasons ranked #15 is somehow #8 overall?

Any season iowa finishes with more than 8 wins they are overachieving…4-8 wins they are achieving and <4 wins is iowa underachieving….it’s science.

Reactions: trwebe
Florida State, Nebraska, and Tennessee are the only under achievers on that list. If anyone expected anything out of the rest that's a you problem.
I'd add UCLA to this group of ULTRA underachievers. They have the location, the resources,...good lord there's no reason to lose consistently in Westwood, other than too many distractions.

I'd add UCLA to this group of ULTRA underachievers. They have the location, the resources,...good lord there's no reason to lose consistently in Westwood, other than too many distractions.
There are no resources there anymore. The facilities are old, the money is gone. They boosters are busy paying taxes and looking to move to a red state.

I find it odd that the teams at the top of the list have fans that like to brag about such a ranking. It simply means their recruiting isn't that good and that limits how far they can go for a national title, which is nowhere.

Reactions: scarletred
I find it odd that the teams at the top of the list have fans that like to brag about such a ranking. It simply means their recruiting isn't that good and that limits how far they can go for a national title, which is nowhere.
I find you odd. There is no way an NU fan would have your name. Minn is a nobody, far below us and bedfellows with other nobodies the B1G is fraught with.

You’re clearly an imposter, here for unknown reasons.

Not always recruiting, there is some bad coaching as well. Coaches have to develop players, we need to see that tide turn at Nebraska.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
All this shows is that recruiting rankings, after about 5-10 either as a team or player rankings...don't mean much at all.

All this shows is that recruiting rankings, after about 5-10 either as a team or player rankings...don't mean much at all.
All this shows is that if you don't have a head coach with a good system in place on BOTH sides of the ball and good at DEVELOPING players past HIGH SCHOOL then you ain't sh!t!!!

Reactions: rcnut223
All this shows is that if you don't have a head coach with a good system in place on BOTH sides of the ball and good at DEVELOPING players past HIGH SCHOOL then you ain't sh!t!!!

jimmies and joes before x's and o's. It's always been that way.

The Osborne Supremacy lasted 27 years?
You’ve hit it on the head. Frosted offense really has no identity, it’s a mix of offenses . And It’s not an Offense with a system, look at how Scott is changing the approach to recruiting WR and Qb’s. There is also a change in the type and size of players. You could can argue that Scott is learning, and that is true, unfortunately we are 4 years in and we haven’t seen a system develop. It’s a flavor of the month or recruiting cycle .

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
WOW breaking news we suck since 2017..
Thanks for playing I’m a Hawkeye fan on HOL.👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

As I sit with my family who are Huskers this morning.

Yep, my native Nebraska grandfather, who predated Bob and Tom, those Golden years.

College Football is the subject. The Athletic has good coverage, just seeking discussion ahead of 2021.

I followed Nebraska before attending my first college football game in West Lafayette back in 1971.

The era of the Game of the Week vs. era that competes with the high school game today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT