ADVERTISEMENT

The annual debate

Tuco Salamanca

Athletic Director
Aug 18, 2016
Albuquerque
10429608.png

Will increased access due to proposed 12 team playoff help distribute talent across the country?

Will increased access due to proposed 12 team playoff help distribute talent across the country?
Interesting question. I could see where there could be less teams on this list because of talent distribution. However, in a playoff setting where you have to win 3 or 4 games in a row, I think the chances of a team not on this list winning the championship decreases.

Hats off to you guys talking about blue chippers and Nattys, but I'm a simple man. For the immediate future I'd like to get lined up right, not snap the ball over the QB's head, limit turnovers and penalties.... and maybe beat Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern and Minnesota. On the topic of blue chippers, to this point Frost & Co look like they could take Alabama's roster and win 8 games through sheer incompetence. Don't get me wrong, I'm still hoping Frost is learning and can figure out how to be better. But I wouldn't bet this month's paycheck on it.

Hats off to you guys talking about blue chippers and Nattys, but I'm a simple man. For the immediate future I'd like to get lined up right, not snap the ball over the QB's head, limit turnovers and penalties.... and maybe beat Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern and Minnesota. On the topic of blue chippers, to this point Frost & Co look like they could take Alabama's roster and win 8 games through sheer incompetence. Don't get me wrong, I'm still hoping Frost is learning and can figure out how to be better. But I wouldn't bet this month's paycheck on it.
reasonable

Reactions: mgbreis
I think Frost and his band of merry misfits have shown what they can do when they have elite athletes and a QB that can run their offensive schemes. They did have success at UCF. So I would disagree that there is sheer incompetence. I believe where Frost struggles is when he doesn't have elite athletes, his offense doesn't work as well, The defensive scheme they want to run is dependent on the offense scoring points and the defense getting turnovers, when one of those doesn't happen, the results are bad.

I do not get the impression that Frost and much of his crew like to recruit. They like the bullshitting in the football offices and giving the tours, but not enough of them like to grind it out on the recruiting trail. When you are at UCF and there are 1000 players in the area, you can still get good players that want to stay close to home or whatever. Or when you are at Oregon with all of the money Nike puts into that program, you can attract kids with the glitz and the glamour. We need guys with a personality that kids can relate to. Fisher and Held seem to be guys like that, and I know that Torres says he likes Verduzco, but I don't think he is the grinder type recruiter needed.

I believe recruiting to Nebraska is harder than other places. But it isn't impossible. You don't need to bring in the top 10 players from Florida, Louisiana and Texas to be in the Bluechip list in the OP. You need a couple from those states and others like California, Illinois etc and you need to get the blue chips in the 500 mile radius, that people love to talk about. We don't need 15 four and five star kids each year, just 11, 11x4 is 44, 44/85 is 52%.

But we need those kids to develop and stick around. If we are losing kids, it will need to be the ones that don't play, if we are developing kids, it won't matter if those that don't play leave.

First and foremost, the top kids want to go to the NFL. Being the 11th and 12th seeds and getting boat raced by Alabama and Clemson isn't going to help with that.

10429608.png
Break up the super teams. One thing that needs to happen to break up the dominance of the top 3 programs is for their blue chip percentages to go down to a more competitive level. Notre Dame and Michigan need to bring the Buckeyes down a notch. If South Carolina and North Carolina could step up their game, that should hurt Clemson and Georgia. The Florida, California and Texas schools need to keep their best kids home.

As for Nebraska, when Frost cannot even get his top four in the state to even come on a visit, there's no need for us to worry about blue chip charts.

I think Frost and his band of merry misfits have shown what they can do when they have elite athletes and a QB that can run their offensive schemes. They did have success at UCF. So I would disagree that there is sheer incompetence. I believe where Frost struggles is when he doesn't have elite athletes, his offense doesn't work as well, The defensive scheme they want to run is dependent on the offense scoring points and the defense getting turnovers, when one of those doesn't happen, the results are bad.

I do not get the impression that Frost and much of his crew like to recruit. They like the bullshitting in the football offices and giving the tours, but not enough of them like to grind it out on the recruiting trail. When you are at UCF and there are 1000 players in the area, you can still get good players that want to stay close to home or whatever. Or when you are at Oregon with all of the money Nike puts into that program, you can attract kids with the glitz and the glamour. We need guys with a personality that kids can relate to. Fisher and Held seem to be guys like that, and I know that Torres says he likes Verduzco, but I don't think he is the grinder type recruiter needed.

I believe recruiting to Nebraska is harder than other places. But it isn't impossible. You don't need to bring in the top 10 players from Florida, Louisiana and Texas to be in the Bluechip list in the OP. You need a couple from those states and others like California, Illinois etc and you need to get the blue chips in the 500 mile radius, that people love to talk about. We don't need 15 four and five star kids each year, just 11, 11x4 is 44, 44/85 is 52%.

But we need those kids to develop and stick around. If we are losing kids, it will need to be the ones that don't play, if we are developing kids, it won't matter if those that don't play leave.

I agree on needing more 500 mile radius kids, but I don't agree with them not wanting to grind. Recruiting sucks even more nowadays because of social media. You have to kiss ass to 18 year olds and hope they don't flip flop or end up on the portal in a year. To have top 20 classes like Frost has - you can't be lazy and get that done at Nebraska. It shows IMO that you are grinding as much as you can.

Reactions: WHCSC
I agree on needing more 500 mile radius kids, but I don't agree with them not wanting to grind. Recruiting sucks even more nowadays because of social media. You have to kiss ass to 18 year olds and hope they don't flip flop or end up on the portal in a year. To have top 20 classes like Frost has - you can't be lazy and get that done at Nebraska. It shows IMO that you are grinding as much as you can.

some grind and bring in the majority of the kids that boost the ratings.

As far as kissing 18 year old’s asses, that’s the job. If you don’t know what it entails when you take the job, that’s on you. You don’t want to do it, somebody else will.

I think Coach Austin and Coach Beckton are underrated recruiters on this staff. Austin seems to go after his guys, and his guys are sought after by other quality programs. Also, Austin's retention of talent is the among best on the staff.

I think Coach Austin and Coach Beckton are underrated recruiters on this staff. Austin seems to go after his guys, and his guys are sought after by other quality programs. Also, Austin's retention of talent is the among best on the staff.
This is just my impression but historically OL isn't a prima Donna position. Transfers were usually among high value skill position who wanted a place to showcase their skills.

I'd honestly be surprised if Austin didn't have the best retention even if he were a shit coach.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Sweet Jesus, that is how low the bar has gotten isn't it? We're in Jim Mora Sr. territory.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F97d62b71-2e91-4e94-82cf-b220c3c6114b_480x270.gif

Interesting question. I could see where there could be less teams on this list because of talent distribution. However, in a playoff setting where you have to win 3 or 4 games in a row, I think the chances of a team not on this list winning the championship decreases.
No shit?

ADVERTISEMENT