ADVERTISEMENT

The 2018 class.

dochay

Junior
Nov 7, 2004
Keep reading people say the transition class was bad but I just don't see it. There are 7 solid contributors coming back next year in Taylor, Tannor, Jurgens, Martinez, Pickering, Honas and Clark. Williams was a starter before going down. Washington did some good things and if he puts it together he could be a big time contributor. Farniok backs up Jurgens from the same class. Rodgers looked gpod at the end of the year and Wildeman has a ton of potential. Sure a lot are gone but when is the last time 11 guys panned out in a class?

Keep reading people say the transition class was bad but I just don't see it. There are 7 solid contributors coming back next year in Taylor, Tannor, Jurgens, Martinez, Pickering, Honas and Clark. Williams was a starter before going down. Washington did some good things and if he puts it together he could be a big time contributor. Farniok backs up Jurgens from the same class. Rodgers looked gpod at the end of the year and Wildeman has a ton of potential. Sure a lot are gone but when is the last time 11 guys panned out in a class?

Still a lot to prove for relatively young guys. I think it’s just the attrition that has hurt us so far more than the “busts”. But we’ll see what the remaining 2018 guys can do going forward. There’s certainly talent in the group that is still here.

It's the attrition that sucks!!! Remember that most of the remaining guys in that class were Redshirt Freshmen. They have 3 seasons left to make an impact. It's way too early to label them bust.

Reactions: TheNewNU
I haven’t completely given up on the 2018 class. There are obviously some guys that have contributed at a high level and I still think guys like AM, Jurgens, Taylor, Tanor, Williams, and Honas haven’t reached their peaks yet. And I think the jury is still out on Farniok and Wildeman. They’ll be RS sophomores next year so we may see more of those two guys. The attrition has hurt more than anything. I still wonder what happened to Watt. He came back on an OV but for whatever reason after the OV we never heard about him again.

I think the biggest detriment to us is the complete disappearance of the 2017 class. And it started before that 2017 season ever started. It was basically a virtually lost class.

You said Pickering.

I haven’t completely given up on the 2018 class. There are obviously some guys that have contributed at a high level and I still think guys like AM, Jurgens, Taylor, Tanor, Williams, and Honas haven’t reached their peaks yet. And I think the jury is still out on Farniok and Wildeman. They’ll be RS sophomores next year so we may see more of those two guys. The attrition has hurt more than anything. I still wonder what happened to Watt. He came back on an OV but for whatever reason after the OV we never heard about him again.

I think the biggest detriment to us is the complete disappearance of the 2017 class. And it started before that 2017 season ever started. It was basically a virtually lost class.
It isn’t a matter of giving up, 1/2 are simply gone including most of the 4-stars

Reactions: dinglefritz
I’ve never bought the poor talent argument. Wisconsin’s team only had ONE 4 star in the 2018 class. Only FOUR 4 star players this year. They seem to be doing okay.

I’ve never bought the poor talent argument. Wisconsin’s team only had ONE 4 star in the 2018 class. Only FOUR 4 star players this year. They seem to be doing okay.

when people are talking about that they mean from the 2015 to 2017 classes (are juniors and seniors the past couple years). We lost most of our top recruits and the few we kept didn’t pan out and a couple did solid. But for the most part, those 2015 to 2017 classes weren’t very good or moved on.

Williams is one of the most talented from that group but he hasn't had a chance to contribute yet. Washington, Hunt, and Legrone had plenty of talent but couldn't stay out of trouble. If Adrian, Williams, and Jurgens all break out next year along with getting some contribution out of the line recruits, 2018 could still be a damn good class.

People overreacting to AM having a "bad" year. If we get Mo back and AM returns healthy and suddenly finds he has a center who can snap and more than 1 wr and Rb then I think the class is looking good.

Ratings get over rated for Nebraska due to strong fan following and depth of coverage by nebraska reporters and recruiting experts. Jonathan Taylor was a 3 star. That wasn’t amazing development of Wisconsin vs nebraska development, that was crappy ratings. He was great from day 1. Same with Henreich being rated higher than Jack Sanborn. Sanborn was best player in Chicago area as a senior.

Reactions: leodisflowers

The only way we ever see Farniok is if Jurgens gets injured again or we are kicking the **** out of a team and we put in the back ups. He is undersized and is not versital. He is going to be passed up by guys like Anderson, Lynn, Fritzsche and Banks. Not because he sucks, but because he doesn't have the size.

Banks is an absolute monster already. I can only imagine what he is going to look like a couple years! 6'7-6'8 340 pounds would be my guess. Will Farniok is 6'2 (I know he is listed at 6'3, but I call BS on that. Photos don't lie!) on a good day, and I just don't see him ever making a starting spot. No offense to the kid, but it is what it is. I hope he proves me wrong, but until he does that is the way I see it.

when people are talking about that they mean from the 2015 to 2017 classes (are juniors and seniors the past couple years). We lost most of our top recruits and the few we kept didn’t pan out and a couple did solid. But for the most part, those 2015 to 2017 classes weren’t very good or moved on.
My point is even though we lost our top recruits, that just put us on par with Wisconsin, because they did not have the top recruits to begin with. Iowa between 2015 - 2017 recruited a total of TWO 4 star players in that timeframe and ONE 5 star (per Rivals). And I think it’s safe to assume that not all of their players pan out as expected either.

2020 is the year where all the excuses about low talent “should” evaporate. I’m hoping that our development and coaching along with our talent produces some very good results on the field, but this year I will wait until I see the product on the field instead of getting amped up about our team while watching 70+ other teams play bowl games.

Ratings get over rated for Nebraska due to strong fan following and depth of coverage by nebraska reporters and recruiting experts. Jonathan Taylor was a 3 star. That wasn’t amazing development of Wisconsin vs nebraska development, that was crappy ratings. He was great from day 1. Same with Henreich being rated higher than Jack Sanborn. Sanborn was best player in Chicago area as a senior.
Jonathan Taylor was not a 3 star. How was his rating crappy?

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Jack Sanborn was also a 4 star player and considered the 11th best Inside Backer in his entire class! How can anyone complain about that assessment!!

There's way more to a 4 star rating than being ready from day 1. You can't knock Henrich's rating because he didn't play as a True Freshman. A guy like Ndamukong Suh was a 4 star and didn't do much his first few seasons. He clearly had the potential of a 4 stars player.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
My point is even though we lost our top recruits, that just put us on par with Wisconsin, because they did not have the top recruits to begin with. Iowa between 2015 - 2017 recruited a total of TWO 4 star players in that timeframe and ONE 5 star (per Rivals). And I think it’s safe to assume that not all of their players pan out as expected either.

2020 is the year where all the excuses about low talent “should” evaporate. I’m hoping that our development and coaching along with our talent produces some very good results on the field, but this year I will wait until I see the product on the field instead of getting amped up about our team while watching 70+ other teams play bowl games.

I’m just pointing out when you take away our top players we recruited hose years that left, didn’t make it or what not and then look how we’d be ranked recruiting wise, we’d dropped down into the 40-50 ranges in overall recruiting. To many people say well we have no excuse, we had too 25 recruiting classes those years...yes we did but now take those 4 star players out and then see how we are ranked? And you’re thinking of Iowa. Wisconsin doesn’t get a ton of 4 star players but they get their share of them.

Yes we all know Riley bombed it big time for us. And development wasn’t there for awhile. And J Taylor a 3 star? You may want to look at that again, he’s a Top 250 player. And how are you knocking Henrichs? He was true freshman last year that Redshirted. Wisconsin doesn’t play many true freshmen...just saying

This my four stars better than your four star thing, well yeah, some players bring it more, develope better, and some are busts, Like Jordan Stevenson.
Point is, are our coaches doing everything they can of those first two?
Then, are they finding guys who give it their all to become the first two,bring it more,develope better.

I haven't lost my faith in this staff, so, have no questions at this point

Reactions: huskerssalts
Jonathan Taylor was not a 3 star. How was his rating crappy?

Jack Sanborn was also a 4 star player and considered the 11th best Inside Backer in his entire class! How can anyone complain about that assessment!!

There's way more to a 4 star rating than being ready from day 1. You can't knock Henrich's rating because he didn't play as a True Freshman. A guy like Ndamukong Suh was a 4 star and didn't do much his first few seasons. He clearly had the potential of a 4 stars player.

Shhh... agendas...

This my four stars better than your four star thing, well yeah, some players bring it more, develope better, and some are busts, Like Jordan Stevenson.
Point is, are our coaches doing everything they can of those first two?
Then, are they finding guys who give it their all to become the first two,bring it more,develope better.

I haven't lost my faith in this staff, so, have no questions at this point

agreed, they just finished year 2. And that’s after switching from a pro style offense to a spread read option offense (or what ever you call Frosts offense). It’s hard to see good player development when we have changed systems from spread to pro style to spread again in a 3-4 year span...this needs factored in. Wisconsin and Iowa has ran the same system’s for YEARS now and haven’t change once. Those players have been playing in the systems for 3-5 (from the beginning) years now. We are in our 3rd system in a 4 year span...again It’s hard to see development when this is happening. Even more so when we are making extreme changes and not smaller ones like a different type of spread to another spread. Nope, we are going from Pro style to spread again.

Last edited:
agreed, they just finished year 2. And that’s after switching from a pro style offense to a spread read option offense (or what ever you call Frosts offense). It’s hard to see good player development when we have changed systems from spread to pro style to spread again in a 3-4 year span...this needs factored in. Wisconsin and Iowa has ran the same system’s for YEARS now and haven’t change once. Those players have been playing in their systems for 3-5 years now. We are in our 3rd system in a 4 year span...again It’s hard to see development when this is happening.
Alot of developement comes from peer to peer. We dont have much of that yet. Not alot of leaders, its coming, but changing everything, and the upperclassmen having lived through all those changes, it was hard for them to lead by example while learning as they go themselves.
Now, we start seeing only the frosh starters from the first class becoming upperclassmen, those guys who know nothing but the staffs systems and ways.
We've been so busy at changing staffs, and we only point to others who's done this, changed staffs, and cherry pick those successes without even 1 iota of knowing what the admin situation was,what the team was like, how much talent was there, what system changes were chaged etc.
Now, we act like the iowas and wiscys having found success, havnt changed 1 iota away from that success in over a decade, like it doesn't matter,well,it does.

I’m just pointing out when you take away our top players we recruited hose years that left, didn’t make it or what not and then look how we’d be ranked recruiting wise, we’d dropped down into the 40-50 ranges in overall recruiting. To many people say well we have no excuse, we had too 25 recruiting classes those years...yes we did but now take those 4 star players out and then see how we are ranked? And you’re thinking of Iowa. Wisconsin doesn’t get a ton of 4 star players but they get their share of them.
According to Rivals team ranking, in 2015 - 2017...

Iowa classes ranked 58, 42, and 40.
Wisconsin ranked 37, 35, and 35.
Minnesota ranked 52, 50, and 57.

So assuming every single one of their players panned out, we were likely equal to above in talent. That’s why I just can’t buy that we had so much less talent.

Regardless, it’s water under the bridge. Frost now has the talent, so it’s time to showcase the development and coaching in 2020.

I emember they wouldnt even let frosh play varsity. Some assume all frosh,sophs etc are ready to play our of hs.
Good luck with that.

2016: All Multi-year Starters, except maybe Wilson
1. Lamar Jackson
2. Matt Farniok
3. Colin MIller
4. JD Spielman
5. DiCaprio Bootle
6. JoJo Domann
7. Jack Stoll
8. Marquel Dismuke
9. Ben Stille
10. Boe Wilson
11. Trey Bryant (if he hadnt gotten hurt)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT