ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you Bo Ryan, for reminding me why I don't care for you.

litespeedhuskerfan

Nebraska Legend
Aug 27, 2006
"We don't do the rent-a-player" Yeah, and Jessica Alba isn't my type which is the only reason why I'm not married to her.

Also interesting he didn't have a problem with the way the Kentucky game was officiated, or the first half of the Duke game.

As long as the cruddy officiating goes his way it's all good.

this....

...and I have been ok with THIS Bo...until after the game, when he complained about how the game was called...be gracious, Bo...

Re: this....

Gracious like Coach K was at halftime? Bo handled himself just fine in my opinion. That was a poorly officiated game.

Originally posted by St_Henry_Buckeye:
Gracious like Coach K was at halftime? Bo handled himself just fine in my opinion. That was a poorly officiated game.
I saw his halftime interview, I think he stated some facts and did a pretty good job doing it. Didn't come off as whining or making excuses to me, and if your very own coach had said the same exact thing with the same exact voice inflection you would have defended it as a guy just spouting some facts in the middle of a crazy moment. Bo had some time to think about what he was going to say, and he could have gone a classier direction. ALL coaches do something to try and work the officials, all of them. It's called coaching.

Originally posted by litespeedhuskerfan:
I saw his halftime interview, I think he stated some facts and did a pretty good job doing it. Didn't come off as whining or making excuses to me, and if your very own coach had said the same exact thing with the same exact voice inflection you would have defended it as a guy just spouting some facts in the middle of a crazy moment. Bo had some time to think about what he was going to say, and he could have gone a classier direction. ALL coaches do something to try and work the officials, all of them. It's called coaching.
Pretty sure St Henry is from OSU not Wisconsin. Your hate may be blinding you.

Originally posted by Tyante:

Pretty sure St Henry is from OSU not Wisconsin. Your hate may be blinding you.
I don't hate anyone, I don't care for Ryan, but in no way shape or form do I hate him. I also know where St Henry is from, if you re-read my comment a little slower you will see I was suggestion that if his coach (as in OSU coach) had done something similar during a halftime interview in a game they were playing, he wouldn't consider it a big deal.

How was Coach K bitter? He said his team was in foul trouble and would have to play accordingly. No issue there. The real curmudgeon is Ryan. I agree with the OP....Ryan is a bitter douche. And not the first time he's been. I really have no strong opinion of either team. I can take or leave both Duke and Wisky. But Ryan can put anyone off.

Ryan should have focused and commented on the following:

Wisc had a 9 pt lead midway through the second half and couldn't close

Duke's freshmen stepped up and Wisconsin's upper classmen puckered

Dekker didn't show up at all

Okafor after playing like crap most of the game, outplayed Kaminsky during "winning" time

Absolutely correct. Ryan is only a coach/personality you can like if he is winning for your team.

The winy prick must have forgot that he was all in on one and done Kevin Looney last year and just lost Diamond Stone this week to Maryland. Just pissed great talents won't give him time a day...

I haven't cared for him since we won last year in Lincoln and he had a similar sore loser rant after the game.

Not really a fan of Ryan either. But college basketball has to be the only sport in the world in which the top coaches can scream nonstop at the officials for two and a half hours, cry and wet their pants on every questionable call, and wander out on the court to their hearts content - with little or no fear of the technical foul. But from the very moment the game ends, criticizing the officials is strictly taboo.

Originally posted by schuele:
Not really a fan of Ryan either. But college basketball has to be the only sport in the world in which the top coaches can scream nonstop at the officials for two and a half hours, cry and wet their pants on every questionable call, and wander out on the court to their hearts content - with little or no fear of the technical foul. But from the very moment the game ends, criticizing the officials is strictly taboo.
You don't watch much college football, do you?

Football is worse that it used to be, but I don't think the whining even approaches what takes place in college basketball. Even some of Pelini's tantrums that drew 15-yard penalties are commonplace on the basketball court, and the top coaches can throw with them without any fear of a T.

A lot of the top basketball coaches aren't even waiting for a bad call to go against them anymore. They start bawling from the opening tip.

You make the assumption that all of the yelling is at officials when it isn't. The officials allow it or they would call a technical. So the coaches are doing, to whatever extent, what they are allowed to do. Even HS coaches complain but they do it for a short time and it is considered asking for clarification and then they get back to coaching quickly. Big difference between asking for clarification and complaining.

Of course the officials allow it, because they want to keep working. And if you honestly believe that the countless screaming preschooler-like tantrums we see from college basketball coaches constitute "asking for clarification" rather than simply trying to badger the officials into giving them the next call, that's laughable. College basketball was played for decades without this kind of jackass behavior, and the game was better for it.

It must be hard for Bo Ryan not having his B1G refs calling the game, he clearly has all of them wrapped around his finger.

I doubt a B10 ref would have missed this
or a review of a tipped ball out of bounds.
duke-out-of-bounds-480x360.jpg

Originally posted by indy1203:

Yeah it's a well known fact B1G ref's don't make any mistakes or miss anything.

I'm not a Bo Ryan fan in the least bit...but some people posting above seem to be misunderstanding something.

The "rent a player" comment wasn't about Kentucky or one and done freshmen. It was a response to a question he was asked about the widespread practice of teams bringing in 5th year grad transfers.

I hate the way that rule is applied too so I can't say he shouldn't say what he did, but I didn't hear him speaking up and objecting when Wisconsin Football accepted 5th year grad transfer Russell Wilson.

Originally posted by Blackshirt316:
I'm not a Bo Ryan fan in the least bit...but some people posting above seem to be misunderstanding something.

The "rent a player" comment wasn't about Kentucky or one and done freshmen. It was a response to a question he was asked about the widespread practice of teams bringing in 5th year grad transfers.

I hate the way that rule is applied too so I can't say he shouldn't say what he did, but I didn't hear him speaking up and objecting when Wisconsin Football accepted 5th year grad transfer Russell Wilson.
Then the entire sporting world misunderstood him then. That, or you're wrong.

Originally posted by Blackshirt316:

Then the entire sporting world misunderstood him then. That, or you're wrong.
"All the seniors that I've had - hard to say the word. But every player that's played through the program, okay, we don't do a rent-a-player. You know what I mean? Try to take a fifth-year guy. That's okay. If other people do that, that's okay. I like trying to build from within. It's just the way I am. And to see these guys grow over the years and to be here last year and lose a tough game, boom, they came back."

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/writers/jason-joyce/breaking-down-bo-ryan-s-rent-a-player-remark-and/article_72377cd0-de35-11e4-8696-8f48a295b7c7.html#ixzz3WuOO1BHM

Link to Context

I think the entire sporting world heard the rent-a-player phrase and ran with it, despite the fact that the question and subsequent answer were about how much he would miss his players. Poor choice of words, but he was trying to get to the fact that he's really going to miss these guys that he's developed a relationship with over the past 4+ years. That's my take anyway, after hearing both the actual question and full response.

Ryan is a bitter old man ... but smart as hell

he knew what he was saying and in what context ... he threw in the 5th year senior comment to give him plausible deniability with regard to his comments which were ultimately a shot at the one and done players/programs

Originally posted by indy1203:

ec
You talking about the blatant foul on the push?

He verified it in his post-game with the 3rd to last question ask. So yes, he is right and 99 percent of people missed it. Brian Rosenthal caught it immediately and quoted Bo Ryan on a tweet.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by 4.6.3:
He verified it in his post-game with the 3rd to last question ask. So yes, he is right and 99 percent of people missed it. Brian Rosenthal caught it immediately and quoted Bo Ryan on a tweet.
off the top of my head I cannot think of any 5th year senior transfers that really had any effect on the basketball landscape - perhaps I am just blanking on some obvious examples but thought this was more of a football phenomenon - can people give some examples

I am not buying it. I think he had a chance to think about it and what he said afterwards? He was just trying to walk it back a little because he knew he sounded like a sore loser. Just my two cents, which is worth even less than that.

Me either. And I think he was trying to cover his trscks
yes -- he was referring to the one and dones and slipped that 5th yr senior comment in for CYA purposes

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT