ADVERTISEMENT

Texas at #52 in Current Team Recruiting Rankings

otismotis08

Head Coach
Jan 5, 2012
parts unknown
I realize it's still early, but hard to believe that the Longhorns could possibly be this low at any point in the recruiting process.

A&M leaving the conference and having success in the SEC was something Texas did not see coming, and it hurt them. Texas used to be the clear cut choice between the two schools, not anymore. Not to mention TCU & Baylor now. Just a lot of great choices to go somewhere to play football down there and when you are as average as they have been, I guess it just goes to show nobody is immune to this stuff.

Ya, it is surprising. Maybe Charlie Strong takes a slower approach to recruiting? I don't know.

Another one is OU, they're 60 something right now.

wow, the big12 is sucking pretty bad in the team rankings for sure

I wonder if stoops makes a move sometime? seems he has gotten stale down there

Anyone think the Big 12 is taking an overall hit because of last year's playoff debacle, lack of championship game, and the overall suckage of the conference?
yes.. had to laugh at the overall suckage part ;)

wow, the big12 is sucking pretty bad in the team rankings for sure

I wonder if stoops makes a move sometime? seems he has gotten stale down there

You'll think this is insane, but there is a (slightly) less than zero chance that he is the next head coach at Iowa. The move would probably have to be made after this season, though.

No, I don't think it will actually happen, but it's not nearly as far-fetched as I'm sure everyone else who will respond to this thread thinks it is.

Reactions: reddy12
I know it's early and these rankings will change drastically between now and February. But currently 10 of 14 BIG teams are ranked in the top 50 and 4 of 10 Big 12 teams are ranked in the top 50. I fully expect that to change because no way I thin Northwestern and Iowa finish ahead of us in the final rankings and I doubt TTU, WVU and Baylor finish ahead of OU, OSU and Texas. But, that said, as a percentage of teams in the top 50, the Big 12 is being left behind significantly.

As many know; Stoops has history there, and it nearly happened before. Cant imagine why he would now; would be a great move for Iowa, if he was motivated.

Well if you're a head coach, stuck in a conference with a lot of overall suckage, and it doesn't appear that your conference can even make it to the national title game due to no conference championship game, and you're conference is quickly becoming downgraded into something like Conf USA or the MAC, then I dunno, I might want a change of scenery.

As for Stoops to Io_a, I don't see them doing that, doesn't Ferentz have like another 20 years on his contract? :) I personally think after this season, we will see Bob's name floated about for the top jobs that open up.

I realize it's still early, but hard to believe that the Longhorns could possibly be this low at any point in the recruiting process.
It's about where they were this time last year. One of the raps on Brown was he recruited stars to the detriment of needs. I'm no fan of Strong and think he'll wash out but IMO recruiting isn't an issue.

As many know; Stoops has history there, and it nearly happened before. Cant imagine why he would now; would be a great move for Iowa, if he was motivated.

You see the photos of his digs in Oklahoma? Iowa ain't gonna cut it.

Soon even Vanderbilt and Purdue will be making more revenue than OU. They really screwed up making their bed with Texas, who only thanked them by signing LHN. Boren is mad they made a huge mistake. If OU doesn't leave soon Stoops could. He may lose a mill or two on his house but his career survival is worth more. Iowa is a possibility but think more likely a bigger program in SEC or Pac.

Stoops isn't going from a place like OU, where he can recruit Texas with anyone, to Iowa who produces so little in terms of high school talent. The amount of extra work it would take just to recruit guys half as good, isn't something most coaches with his pedigree are in to. Full disclosure though, I didn't think Hargod would be coaching Michigan this year either.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Strong at Texas is like putting a round peg in a square hole. Most of the kids he got last year were from out of state. He does not have near the rapport with the HS coaches in Texas that Mack Brown did, at least it doesn't seem like it to me.

Remember that Texas was basically wrapping its classes up in May; they were looking at holding a spot or two for late bloomers. Like the poster said; other programs have changed the landscape - Tx didn't realize average college fans would see T A+M and SEC and consider it a superior product. Not sure they are handling their ride from mistaken Royalty dilusion to mid- pack denial.

Reactions: WestCoastCornhusker
It just goes to show that no program is immune from taking a downward turn. It doesn't matter if you have a "name" program, a never ending bank account, and even a geographic footprint full of potential recruits.

Stoops isn't going from a place like OU, where he can recruit Texas with anyone, to Iowa who produces so little in terms of high school talent. The amount of extra work it would take just to recruit guys half as good, isn't something most coaches with his pedigree are in to. Full disclosure though, I didn't think Hargod would be coaching Michigan this year either.

He'll be able to get whoever he wants out of Ohio. Look what his brother is doing at Kentucky, signing a bunch of Ohio kids every year and finishing with Top 20 classes. A lot of players would flock to Stoops just because of who he is. He wouldn't have to work nearly as hard as the current Iowa staff. Look at what Hayden Fry was able to do in terms of national recruiting at Iowa. The paycut also wouldn't be nearly that severe when you look at what Ferentz is currently making. And most importantly, Stoops would be under far, far less pressure to win in Iowa City than in Norman, and it will be a lot easier to be competitive in the B1G West as it currently stands than the Big XII.

There are a lot reasons why it makes a lot of sense, but I still don't think there is much of a chance of it happening, mostly because the Iowa athletic department is epically incompetent and doesn't really care about having a successful football program.

Not sure if you're serious....
Not sure if your serious ? lol, well written posts. Lets remember there are coaches entrenched there. Coach Frank and a new guy maned Bo; both with higher winning %'s at a Northern U - Aso Hargod at MI, and another guy who's Urban in his recruiting.

Not sure if your serious ? lol, well written posts. Lets remember there are coaches entrenched there. Coach Frank and a new guy maned Bo; both with higher winning %'s at a Northern U - Aso Hargod at MI, and another guy who's Urban in his recruiting.

That's why I wrote the response, genius. It was half intended to clown on him, and half intended to see if he was willing to back his statement.

That's why I wrote the response, genius. It was half intended to clown on him, and half intended to see if he was willing to back his statement.
You must be the genius; I got some were clowning and wrote that in the same spirit. What do you think well written post means? I put lol following your question mark; that could mean I understood you were clowning, as it is used on the net.

Last edited:
You wrote 5 words in a question format ; excuse me for adding depth for an Iowa fan.

The only reason right now OU & UT are ranked so low is because of #'s. Their average star ranking is still top 25. Also, there are currently 40 uncommitted Texas top 100 guys and about half of those are 4-stars. Way too early to count these 2 programs out.

Plus it was Texas that really started this early commit thing years ago and it eventually killed them. They'd get verbal from juniors that peeked as sophomores.

Charlie Strong will get it done in Texas. Guys won everywhere he goes. Wish we had Charlie Strong.

The only reason right now OU & UT are ranked so low is because of #'s. Their average star ranking is still top 25. Also, there are currently 40 uncommitted Texas top 100 guys and about half of those are 4-stars. Way too early to count these 2 programs out.

Plus it was Texas that really started this early commit thing years ago and it eventually killed them. They'd get verbal from juniors that peeked as sophomores.

Charlie Strong will get it done in Texas. Guys won everywhere he goes. Wish we had Charlie Strong.

He better hope he can build an elite defense....as his offensive coordinator has not had much luck thru the years.

Nice to hear from you again.

Although, it would have been nice if you would have posted this entire post without the last line. I could have liked your post even. But then again, it would have been out of character for you not to take a swipe, backhanded tho it is, at Riley.

Reactions: dockentwo
ADVERTISEMENT