Tesla record year

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
Pretty crazy that an electric car company is actually starting to make some noise.

They delivered about 500k cars last year and expect to climb to 800-900k this year. I know that's nowhere near a VW or Ford or GM... But when you start to approach 1M deliveries per year, you're no longer just a niche carmaker. Including a record 184k for the first quarter when every other carmaker is seeing shortages due to chip shortages.

$438M profit for the year is not bad, but I'm sure there's someone just itching to post "tHey woOd NoT bE prOfiTabLe wIthOut sElLiNg cArBon cRediTs!!!"

While that's sort of true, it's blatantly ignoring it's taking their margin from the cars and just pouring every dollar back into rapid expansion. Germany, China, India, Texas all getting new gigafactories is expensive as hell to start. It's a line item that other well established manufacturers don't have to face.

This is bluntly the first new American car company in dang near a century (that lasted). And an electric car company at that.

Their doing exactly what they set out to do, accelerating an electric car future. Their causing other companies to frankly do what they don't want to do... Invest a lot of money in a car to replace their ICE cars.

Electric cars are next. Tesla has a HUGE head start on the competition. Nobody touches them on efficiency, range, charging network and even price really. Several carmakers are trying to catch up, we'll see if they're successful. I honestly hope they are. I want every carmaker to have multiple offerings so we finally have choice.

Right now we have about 10 cars to choose from if you want electric (pretty much all sedans). In 5 years we'll have over 100 including multiple trucks and suvs and that is a good thing.

Regarding infrastructure.... While we do need a big expansion in infrastructure, it's important to keep in mind that because most people will be able to refuel at home or work (unlike ICE), we don't need parity with gas stations to be highly effective. The really need for charging stations is for long distance travel, not everyday use.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
And I want to add almost most importantly is that this is all before the S&X refreshes and the release of the truck and semi.

Those 4 will be highly profitable.

And if they can ever get their roof+powerball business running right they will vault themselves into the energy business which has billions written all over it (think of every house becoming a mini power station with Tesla getting a piece).

DRay827

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2016
Lincoln, NE
Pretty crazy that an electric car company is actually starting to make some noise.

They delivered about 500k cars last year and expect to climb to 800-900k this year. I know that's nowhere near a VW or Ford or GM... But when you start to approach 1M deliveries per year, you're no longer just a niche carmaker. Including a record 184k for the first quarter when every other carmaker is seeing shortages due to chip shortages.

$438M profit for the year is not bad, but I'm sure there's someone just itching to post "tHey woOd NoT bE prOfiTabLe wIthOut sElLiNg cArBon cRediTs!!!"

While that's sort of true, it's blatantly ignoring it's taking their margin from the cars and just pouring every dollar back into rapid expansion. Germany, China, India, Texas all getting new gigafactories is expensive as hell to start. It's a line item that other well established manufacturers don't have to face.

This is bluntly the first new American car company in dang near a century (that lasted). And an electric car company at that.

Their doing exactly what they set out to do, accelerating an electric car future. Their causing other companies to frankly do what they don't want to do... Invest a lot of money in a car to replace their ICE cars.

Electric cars are next. Tesla has a HUGE head start on the competition. Nobody touches them on efficiency, range, charging network and even price really. Several carmakers are trying to catch up, we'll see if they're successful. I honestly hope they are. I want every carmaker to have multiple offerings so we finally have choice.

Right now we have about 10 cars to choose from if you want electric (pretty much all sedans). In 5 years we'll have over 100 including multiple trucks and suvs and that is a good thing.

Regarding infrastructure.... While we do need a big expansion in infrastructure, it's important to keep in mind that because most people will be able to refuel at home or work (unlike ICE), we don't need parity with gas stations to be highly effective. The really need for charging stations is for long distance travel, not everyday use.
Tesla's success will lead to American success in reducing emissions. Elon is such a weirdo that the right has somewhat embraced him and the company, which will lead to more states like Texas courting them (and other companies) to build in their states. Only about a decade ago, most elected Republicans hated Tesla because they got Stimulus cash under Obama to build out the Model S and their battery tech.
At the time, all we heard about was Solyndra because it failed, but I'd argue the government investment in Tesla is worth the Solyndra failure and then some. Even moderate R's like Romney were against Elon at the time.

Amazing how much difference a decade can make.

Last edited:

burntorange72

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2004
And I want to add almost most importantly is that this is all before the S&X refreshes and the release of the truck and semi.

Those 4 will be highly profitable.

And if they can ever get their roof+powerball business running right they will vault themselves into the energy business which has billions written all over it (think of every house becoming a mini power station with Tesla getting a piece).
In all seriousness, have you put solar on your house yet? I never,ever would have expected to consider it in 2019. I have not gone over to the dark side. I don’t want to sit through a sales pitch but I think it would be worth while to have more information.

lolwat

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 8, 2016
I am 70% sure we'll be picking up a long range Model 3 as our next car. Need to get a sub panel put in for the breaker though.

I would LOVE to have the roof/powerwall combo but its just so dang expensive. Its probably 3-5x vs a normal roof cost on our place.

Reactions: sklarbodds

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
In all seriousness, have you put solar on your house yet? I never,ever would have expected to consider it in 2019. I have not gone over to the dark side. I don’t want to sit through a sales pitch but I think it would be worth while to have more information.
No we have some stupid HOA rules against it unfortunately.

But it's a long term investment for sure. Probably a solid 5-7 years depending on your house (location, orientation, etc) before you see ROI.

burntorange72

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2004
No we have some stupid HOA rules against it unfortunately.

But it's a long term investment for sure. Probably a solid 5-7 years depending on your house (location, orientation, etc) before you see ROI.
Several houses in our neighborhood have solar panels installed, but none on the street facing side of the houses. We face south southwest. Solar salesmen came by and said by law the HOA can’t prohibit panels on the front. IDK if true, but then again do you want solar on the front of your house? l’ve heard 6-8 year payout. I would think if you don’t use the south facing side of your roof your less efficient and your payout is extended. I think I’m going to be reroof in before I install solar panels.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
Several houses in our neighborhood have solar panels installed, but none on the street facing side of the houses. We face south southwest. Solar salesmen came by and said by law the HOA can’t prohibit panels on the front. IDK if true, but then again do you want solar on the front of your house? l’ve heard 6-8 year payout. I would think if you don’t use the south facing side of your roof your less efficient and your payout is extended. I think I’m going to be reroof in before I install solar panels.
I'm on my HOA board and bluntly they generally have no teeth. Most of the time they don't want to spend the money on lawyers to try to enforce their rules, but I think it's being a bad neighbor to completely ignore it.

Our Neighborhood spent 10s of thousands fighting one guy who put them up. They eventually won, but not really when you factor the cost.

I've had many people tell me it looks bad and makes the neighborhood less attractive... But I'm not sure they're true.

biscuitbagger3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2009
I'm on my HOA board and bluntly they generally have no teeth. Most of the time they don't want to spend the money on lawyers to try to enforce their rules, but I think it's being a bad neighbor to completely ignore it.

Our Neighborhood spent 10s of thousands fighting one guy who put them up. They eventually won, but not really when you factor the cost.

I've had many people tell me it looks bad and makes the neighborhood less attractive... But I'm not sure they're true.
I mean the ones from like the 90s look bad, but new ones are pretty low key if you already have a dark roof.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
I mean the ones from like the 90s look bad, but new ones are pretty low key if you already have a dark roof.
I agree, but to change our HOA laws it takes like 75% of the neighborhood to vote for the change. It's (intentionally) super difficult.

Reactions: Jim14510

Redblooded

Athletic Director
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
There is going to be money to be made,and we need our companies to get the contracts. I do not want China building our charging stations, or the vehicles, etc.

Jim14510

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
There is going to be money to be made,and we need our companies to get the contracts. I do not want China building our charging stations, or the vehicles, etc.
Yes. We need a middleman in the U.S. to get some of the profit. Considering thats the best case scenario.

burntorange72

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2004
Need that to shorten up to be viable. Isn't the average time you spend in a house 5-7 years?
I would guess at some point a realtor will tell you solar panels are a positive and increase the value of your house. This may even be true today in California. I’m just not ready to put solar panels on the roof of the front of my house. But then I think wind turbines on the horizon are ugly too. (I’m ok with turbines in the valleys, just not sticking up on the horizon).

Redblooded

Athletic Director
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I would guess at some point a realtor will tell you solar panels are a positive and increase the value of your house. This may even be true today in California. I’m just not ready to put solar panels on the roof of the front of my house. But then I think wind turbines on the horizon are ugly too. (I’m ok with turbines in the valleys, just not sticking up on the horizon).
They pay a nice price to have those turbines on your property. When you see the money from them they do not look near as bad.

Reactions: burntorange72