ADVERTISEMENT

Terran Petteway

He had family reasons for leaving early correct? Seems like a good kid that will make cash overseas

I think he is 23 already, so he probably knew he wasn't going to make the NBA by staying another year. Too many younger kids getting better. He should take his game to Europe and make some money playing while he can. I'd love to have him back but don't blame him for leaving.

Nebraska benefited from the play of Petteway, but at the same time it really handicapped us. The offense that TM wants to run is more of a motion offense, that did not happen with TP in the lineup. Wish him the best with his pro career.

Agreed. Best for both parties. Altho he was one of the few on our team w decent talent, he loafed it some times when his shot wasn't falling (same with Walt) this past season. Hope he does what he needs to do to take care of his family.

GBR

I disagree, i dont see how another year wouldnt have helped any? It can and will only make you better and better prepared for the NBA. I get he needed or at least wanted the money but like the poster above stated, if he wasn't next to garenteed a spot somewheres, he should of stayed. Sorry i can only imagine him in this line up we have this year along with Shields, White an d our 2 4 star stud freshmans. The only thing we are missing is a bad ass center. This will be our weakness this year, outside that, we have the talent to play with everyone this year.

Reactions: St. Anger
To add another year of improved stock to his draft status.

How many teams take a 24 year old as a first round draft pick? He could have stayed...and maybe drafted in the second round(huge maybe)...and then he would still be in the same spot he is now.
His age was already considered a "weakness"...imagine if he would have stayed another year.

"Will turn 22 this year (October), so he's already the age of a senior, limiting his upside to a degree ... Body frame is on the slight side for being a 21 year old player. Will need to get stronger ..."

Well the way teams are passing him up right now, it sure wouldn't of hurt him any staying another year. Imo, he got a little money hunger going amd jumped the gun.

How many teams take a 24 year old as a first round draft pick? He could have stayed...and maybe drafted in the second round(huge maybe)...and then he would still be in the same spot he is now.
His age was already considered a "weakness"...imagine if he would have stayed another year.

"Will turn 22 this year (October), so he's already the age of a senior, limiting his upside to a degree ... Body frame is on the slight side for being a 21 year old player. Will need to get stronger ..."
Tell me what NBA team is he on currently?

Well the way teams are passing him up right now, it sure wouldn't of hurt him any staying another year. Imo, he got a little money hunger going amd jumped the gun.

And the same teams would not have passed up on him the following year? Why do you assume he will get more development at Nebraska than he would overseas or in the D league?

Tell me what NBA team is he on currently?

What's your point? As I said....he would have been in the same spot next year. The difference being is he did not waste a year in college where he can now go earn some money and ALSO further his stock with the NBA. While are people assuming once you step foot our of college your development is done?

What's your point? As I said....he would have been in the same spot next year. The difference being is he did not waste a year in college where he can now go earn some money or ALSO further his stock with the NBA. While are people assuming once you step foot our of college your development is done?
My point is exactly the topic you brought up to discuss, except you're talking in hypotheticals and I'm talking in real/actual life. As in reality.

My point is exactly the topic you brought up to discuss, except you're talking in hypotheticals and I'm talking in real/actual life. As in reality.

Yeah....you saying "To add another year of improved stock to his draft status"...is not a hypothetical...Laughing. An extreme one at that.

Yeah....you saying "To add another year of improved stock to his draft status"...is not a hypothetical...Laughing. An extreme one at that.
You asked what the point of staying would've been and that is the exact reason why.

You are REALLY bad at this. Laughing

You asked what the point of staying would've been and that is the exact reason why.

You are REALLY bad at this. Laughing

Says the guy who states he is dealing in "reality"...and posts ""To add another year of improved stock to his draft status." That's the problem with your reasoning...it's an EXTREME hypothetical. His age was already used as a knock on him...but yeah, it would have been smart to stay in school(earning zero money) to hopefully continue to be developed and then hopefully be drafted in the first round. Um, ok. :rolleyes:

Still waiting on how many 24 year olds get drafted first round nowadays

Last edited:
Says the guy who states he is dealing in "reality"...and posts ""To add another year of improved stock to his draft status." That's the problem with your reasoning...it's an EXTREME hypothetical. His age was already used as a knock on him...but yeah, it would have been smart to stay in school(earning zero money) to hopefully continue to be developed and then hopefully be drafted in the first round. Um, ok. :rolleyes:

Still waiting on how many 24 year olds get drafted first round nowadays
Reality: He did what you said he should have done and he's not playing in the NBA. What else is there to this argument?

Reality: He did what you said he should have done and he's not playing in the NBA. What else is there to this argument?

Reality: He could have stayed another year in Lincoln, not sniff a first round draft pick and be at where he is now...only a year older without making the rounds in summer camp and team visits. In addition to not making any money by going to Europe or the D-League. Staying only would have pushed his dream further from reality.

Reactions: FreeLP
Hypothetical: He could have stayed another year in Lincoln, not sniff a first round draft pick and be at where he is now...only a year older without making the rounds in summer camp and team visits. In addition to not making any money by going to Europe or the D-League. Staying only would have pushed his dream further from reality.

fify

Here's the original article, set in reality. He's no longer on an NBA team.

http://www.cornnation.com/2015/10/2...terran-petteway-released-by-the-atlanta-hawks

This has been pretty difficult for you.

Sorry, you seem to think that by him getting cut it automatically means his decision to turn pro was the incorrect one. Quite the assumption. Even for you. In your own little world you thought Petteway would come back...get drafted in the first round next year(lol) and everything would be swell.

Sorry, you seem to think that by him getting cut it automatically means his decision to turn pro was the incorrect one. Quite the assumption. Even for you. In your own little world you thought Petteway would come back...get drafted in the first round next year(lol) and everything would be swell.
Again, just living in reality. Sorry that's so tough for you to grasp. Pretend sounds fun though.

Again, just living in reality. Sorry that's so tough for you to grasp. Pretend sounds fun though.

Yes, and I'm sure when Petteway was making the decision with his family and his advisors they NEVER considered that he may not make the NBA right away. Geez, all he had to do was come back to NU and he would have been a lock. A 24 year old first round draft pick lock. We all know that's the only way to develop your stock for the NBA. Poor Terran...If he decides against the D league I guess he will just have to settle for making quite a bit of money in Europe as opposed to going to class for another year in Lincoln.

Reactions: FreeLP
Yes, and I'm sure when Petteway was making the decision with his family and his advisors they NEVER considered that he may not make the NBA right away. Geez, all he had to do was come back to NU and he would have been a lock. A 24 year old first round draft pick lock. We all know that's the only way to develop your stock for the NBA. Poor Terran...If he decides against the D league I guess he will just have to settle for making quite a bit of money in Europe as opposed to going to class for another year in Lincoln.
a2634d816691c9babeb73adde3673944.jpg

Anger, have you been drinking already? Need to slow down. He made the right choice for him and his family, time to get paid overseas and maybe make a comeback to the NBA. Time to see what Miles can do with these young players.

I really wish the NBA still rewarded players for staying in college and improving their game - it would upgrade the quality of play at both levels. But it just doesn't work that way anymore. Petteway is already half way over the hill as far as a lot of NBA scouts are concerned. I don't see how another year at NU would have helped his draft status at all.

I suppose you could argue that he would have had one more year of college experience under his belt, and that would have helped capture a roster spot. But it's hard to say if that experience would have done more for him than the D-league or Europe.

I don't think TP is surprised that overseas looks like his best shot at a pro career. Could he still end up in the NBA? Of course, but he was never a great NBA prospect and surely wouldn't have been one next year either.

Not sure the income potential is huge overseas but probably a lot more than he could make with his degree. This is a senseless debate.

The money made playing basketball overseas is largely tax-free, and many former Huskers have made a very good living playing overseas. I believe Jason Dourisseau is still playing somewhere, and Petteway is a very similar player.

I disagree, i dont see how another year wouldnt have helped any? It can and will only make you better and better prepared for the NBA. I get he needed or at least wanted the money but like the poster above stated, if he wasn't next to garenteed a spot somewheres, he should of stayed. Sorry i can only imagine him in this line up we have this year along with Shields, White an d our 2 4 star stud freshmans. The only thing we are missing is a bad ass center. This will be our weakness this year, outside that, we have the talent to play with everyone this year.

Because he is old from a draft perspective and he could get more prepared by playing pro overseas then in Lincoln. No limits on practice and a lot more games to get experience.

Terran walked away from Nebraska with a diploma in his hand and now he's going to make a nice six figure salary doing what he loves. Would John Doe graduate college and continue to take classes, making $0 if he had that kind of opportunity? Of course not. Will never understand how hard this is for some people to comprehend.

Reactions: schuele
I hope he does well somewhere overseas, but he does not have NBA caliber talent. He can still make a nice living playing basketball. Im sure thats what agents/scouts advised as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT