ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee coaching search updates (Currie fired, Fulmer hired, Pruitt update post # 356)

They should have just hired Tee Martin. Unless they are waiting to see what he does as a head coach somewhere. But, damn, what a dumpster fire in Tennessee. Why would any fan, anywhere, want a 0 experience HC over a well-proven college HC in Schiano? BS PSU excuses aside. Either they really thought Gruden was coming, or they have grown used to living in the crapper.

Pruitt's a great hire. He is probably the best assistant coach out there, the guy knows how to coach and is successful everywhere he goes. Tennessee couldn't have asked for much better.

I hope Schiano goes somewhere and spends the rest of his career kicking their asses. Not because I particularly like Schiano, but because they tarred and feathered him in their town square on third or fourth hand “overheard” information.

This has to set a Rivals record for longest thread about an opponent last played twenty years ago. But we might play them in 2038 so it’s never too soon to keep close track of their coaching search.

This has to set a Rivals record for longest thread about an opponent last played twenty years ago. But we might play them in 2038 so it’s never too soon to keep close track of their coaching search.
I think you are spot on playing them in 2038, that is why they hurried so quickly to hire a coach, so that he would have them ready to play by then.Laughing

I dont understand the passionate defense of Schiano? I think the fans response was well reasoned. McQueary is the one who made the allegation, and he appeared to be the only honest broker in that whole viper pit. He's the one who uncovered the whole disturbing PSU abuses and cover up. Id believe McQueary before Schiano.

Any smart AD should weigh the risk of that hire knowing what rumors are out there and opt to go a different way.

I dont understand the passionate defense of Schiano? I think the fans response was well reasoned. McQueary is the one who made the allegation, and he appeared to be the only honest broker in that whole viper pit. He's the one who uncovered the whole disturbing PSU abuses and cover up. Id believe McQueary before Schiano.

Any smart AD should weigh the risk of that hire knowing what rumors are out there and opt to go a different way.

Because McQueary said that he heard from somebody that Shaino knew. Not that he knew that Shiano knew, but somebody said that he did. And that person was later interviewed and said that he never said Shaino knew.

Because McQueary said that he heard from somebody that Shaino knew. Not that he knew that Shiano knew, but somebody said that he did. And that person was later interviewed and said that he never said Shaino knew.
I think that coaching staff proved to be untrustworthy. So why would you believe their response. And it was in Tom Bradley's best interest to say he didn't say as much. Why would McQueery make that up? He's the only one who told the truth.

I think that coaching staff proved to be untrustworthy. So why would you believe their response. And it was in Tom Bradley's best interest to say he didn't say as much. Why would McQueery make that up? He's the only one who told the truth.

It seems like pretty flimsy evidence to me. Pretty he said/she said. Which is a hard thing to convict a guy on, even if it is just the court of public opinion.

I also don't trust McQueary more than anybody else. Yes, he went to the top of the organization with what he saw. But after it went nowhere he never reported that he saw a man raping a boy in a shower to the police. And then kept it secrete for decades. He isn't somebody I would count as trustworthy.

Why would he lie about Schiano and Bradley?

Maybe he didn't lie. Maybe he misheard or misremembered.

Or maybe he lied because he didn't want to be seen as one of the only guys that knew and didn't go to the police.

I have no idea the truth. But he heard that somebody else knew is pretty weak evidence to ruin a guys career over.

Reactions: newAD
Maybe he didn't lie. Maybe he misheard or misremembered.

Or maybe he lied because he didn't want to be seen as one of the only guys that knew and didn't go to the police.

I have no idea the truth. But he heard that somebody else knew is pretty weak evidence to ruin a guys career over.
Ironically McQueery has been the most harmed in terms of his career. The only one to step fwd. This article quotes the deposition in question:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...see-rutgers-national-media-reaction-misguided

McQueery is pretty vivid in his recollection of his convo with Bradley. Don’t know how someone would craft that for no reason. That would be enough for me not to hire Schiano over numerous coaches with better pedigrees and records. Not to mention the shit show he ran in TB (staph infections/mutinies). Completely stupid move on Curries part. You think Husker fans would’ve been pleased with a Schiano hire?

And Schiano is still DC for OSU... there are worse fates. I fail to see how he’s been so greatly harmed.

Reactions: dinglefritz
It seems like pretty flimsy evidence to me. Pretty he said/she said. Which is a hard thing to convict a guy on, even if it is just the court of public opinion.

I also don't trust McQueary more than anybody else. Yes, he went to the top of the organization with what he saw. But after it went nowhere he never reported that he saw a man raping a boy in a shower to the police. And then kept it secrete for decades. He isn't somebody I would count as trustworthy.

That is what I have an issue with. If you witness something as crazy as that, (in 2001) which is illegal and flat out immoral, you don't need to tell your boss. You call the freaking police, then tell your boss. You just witnessed a crime. Let those who investigate crimes investigate it. You don't drop it on your boss' lap and expect something to be done, and then claim, "Well I told my boss." We're not talking about sleeping on the job, or taking too long a lunch break, its a felony. It is not a University issue, it was an issue for law enforcement and the courts. Go to your boss, tell him, "I just called the police. They are on the way. I just saw ........" You don't tell a person who could be completely biased to not believe it.

Here's another issue I have. You are Schiano. You were at PSU from 91-95. That overlapped McQueary's playing time there, but McQueary returned as recruiting coordinator in 2000, and then coaching staff in 2004. Even if McQueary is 100% correct with what he allegedly heard from Bradley, that is hearsay. It is inadmissible. It is also McQueary recalling an alleged conversation from approximately 7-8 years prior with Bradley, recalling an alleged conversation between Bradley and Schiano had approximately 10 years prior to that.

I'm not saying there is no way Schiano didn't know something. I'm saying that is pretty flimsy proof, and it'd never hold up in court. If McQueary saw what he saw regarding Sandusky (a revered figure at PSU at the time) in 2001, and he kept in inside for years, do you think he'd be a bit stressed about it? If you automatically assume that McQueary is correct about his memory about a verbal conversation, you have to consider the possibility that he was mistaken about what he thought he heard. Maybe Bradley said something else?

As best as I have been able to find is McQueary's quote was that Bradley had heard stories about Sandusky, "doing something with a boy." What does that mean?

I believe people there post 2001 likely heard rumors (but had no evidence). But to just assume that anyone at PSU that was there during the time Sandusky was there is implicit in covering up Sandusky's crimes is lacking evidence (to my knowledge). It's possible, those before 2001 did, but prove who.

That being said, I'd love to see Schiano, Bradley, and other staff members from that era take polygraph tests. Again, can't be used in court, but I strongly believe in them when conducted by an experienced examiner. I've had to take a few for employment and observed numerous ones being conducted.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I think the fact I forgot about that game speaks more to the state of our program since 2001 than my bad memory. As for the true reason for my reply to your note, I’m trying to get this record breaking meaningless Tennessee thread up to 11 pages.

I applaud everyone on here for keeping this thread active with updates and comments instead of starting a new thread every time something happened. I wish it happened more often with subject title edits for pertinent updates.

Reactions: SOHusker11
That is what I have an issue with. If you witness something as crazy as that, (in 2001) which is illegal and flat out immoral, you don't need to tell your boss. You call the freaking police, then tell your boss. You just witnessed a crime. Let those who investigate crimes investigate it. You don't drop it on your boss' lap and expect something to be done, and then claim, "Well I told my boss." We're not talking about sleeping on the job, or taking too long a lunch break, its a felony. It is not a University issue, it was an issue for law enforcement and the courts. Go to your boss, tell him, "I just called the police. They are on the way. I just saw ........" You don't tell a person who could be completely biased to not believe it.

Here's another issue I have. You are Schiano. You were at PSU from 91-95. That overlapped McQueary's playing time there, but McQueary returned as recruiting coordinator in 2000, and then coaching staff in 2004. Even if McQueary is 100% correct with what he allegedly heard from Bradley, that is hearsay. It is inadmissible. It is also McQueary recalling an alleged conversation from approximately 7-8 years prior with Bradley, recalling an alleged conversation between Bradley and Schiano had approximately 10 years prior to that.

I'm not saying there is no way Schiano didn't know something. I'm saying that is pretty flimsy proof, and it'd never hold up in court. If McQueary saw what he saw regarding Sandusky (a revered figure at PSU at the time) in 2001, and he kept in inside for years, do you think he'd be a bit stressed about it? If you automatically assume that McQueary is correct about his memory about a verbal conversation, you have to consider the possibility that he was mistaken about what he thought he heard. Maybe Bradley said something else?

As best as I have been able to find is McQueary's quote was that Bradley had heard stories about Sandusky, "doing something with a boy." What does that mean?

I believe people there post 2001 likely heard rumors (but had no evidence). But to just assume that anyone at PSU that was there during the time Sandusky was there is implicit in covering up Sandusky's crimes is lacking evidence (to my knowledge). It's possible, those before 2001 did, but prove who.

That being said, I'd love to see Schiano, Bradley, and other staff members from that era take polygraph tests. Again, can't be used in court, but I strongly believe in them when conducted by an experienced examiner. I've had to take a few for employment and observed numerous ones being conducted.

My point is this... we’re not talking about convicting Schiano, we’re talking about hiring him for a big HC job. A job where you want him to be a person who does the right thing. For better or worse, proveable or not, his name was uttered in tandem with the grossest most immoral travesty in NCAA history. With numerous layers of cover up and intentional negligence. As an AD you would have to be a moron not to see the backlash coming. Or at least weigh the risk. It was a poorly thought through hire

My point is this... we’re not talking about convicting Schiano, we’re talking about hiring him for a big HC job. A job where you want him to be a person who does the right thing. For better or worse, proveable or not, his name was uttered in tandem with the grossest most immoral travesty in NCAA history. With numerous layers of cover up and intentional negligence. As an AD you would have to be a moron not to see the backlash coming. Or at least weigh the risk. It was a poorly thought through hire

I get the Tennessee fan base was delusional thinking they could get Gruden. So they raised hell, and looked for an easy excuse. That is what this is all about.

It's funny I don't remember mass protests in Columbus after he was hired there.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I get the Tennessee fan base was delusional thinking they could get Gruden. So they raised hell, and looked for an easy excuse. That is what this is all about.

It's funny I don't remember mass protests in Columbus after he was hired there.

I agree with this. The protests looked a lot like virtue signally masked by disappointment in not getting a better hire.

Reactions: newAD
I agree with this. The protests looked a lot like virtue signally masked by disappointment in not getting a better hire.

Funny how no one (as far as I can tell) is complaining about the hire of a Defensive Coordinator from one of the top schools in the country when the job went unfilled for how long, and they were the butt of jokes across the country.

Pruitt is a good hire. Proven SEC guy with solid recruiting skills. Having worked under Saban can't hurt his chances at future success. Good option for the Vols. Doesn't fit the narrative of this thread which is a general dump on all things Tennessee/SEC but the fact remains. And Schiano still sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT