ADVERTISEMENT

Tell me about your punter

desihawk

Oct 1, 2002
Based on weather reports I wonder whether the team with the better punter wins. Iowa has a good one though he does shank the occasional punt. How reliable is your guy?

Sometimes we punt. Other times we say F Iowa... GTFO. : )
I suppose it might be possible to misinterpret my post but it really wasn’t meant as a slight to your O which is indeed prolific. I really feel punting will play a big part for both teams.

Nebraska hasn't fared well on field position this year. That's not entirely on the punter, but if Friday turns into a field position battle that will likely favor Iowa.

I suppose it might be possible to misinterpret my post but it really wasn’t meant as a slight to your O which is indeed prolific. I really feel punting will play a big part for both teams.
Honestly, our punter has been very underwhelming this year, as has our ENTIRE special teams unit as a whole.

Big advantage to Iowa if this game turns into a battle of field position.

Based on weather reports I wonder whether the team with the better punter wins. Iowa has a good one though he does shank the occasional punt. How reliable is your guy?
Our special teams are "special" in the same terminology as "special" Olympics or "special" needs.

Have shown signs of being between good and horrid. Pretty sure we're in the lower side of the Big

If this game comes down to special teams, we are definitely done for.

I had the luxury of watching my nephews pop Warner game a few weeks ago and if I had to choose which unit to use in tomorrow’s game, I’d go with the 12 year olds. I’d also take their special teams coach over ours.

Special Teams generally go unnoticed in football. It is only noticed when they are really great or really bad. The 2019 Nebraska football special teams gets noticed every time they take the field and it’s not because they are great

Honestly, our punter has been very underwhelming this year, as has our ENTIRE special teams unit as a whole.

Big advantage to Iowa if this game turns into a battle of field position.

The entire team has been underwhelming, period. We’ve got a few good players, but every single position group has been subpar. We’ve seen some improvement, but not enough.

He's a bad field goal kicker.
In fact, we've had a lot of bad field goal kickers this year:
  • Returning starter Barrett Pickering has kicked in three games; he missed the first seven because of a leg injury; now he is recovering from a concussion. He finished last year making his last 10 FGs, including 3-of-3 in the snow against MSU.
  • Backup Dylan Jorgensen kicked in the opener, but then got injured. He hasn't played since.
  • Punter Isaac Armstrong tried to kick FGs in the Colorado game, but his shank in OT may have cost us the game (one of our many deficiencies)
  • Walk-on safety Lane McCallum lived his dream by kicking a miracle 24-yard game winner against Northwestern, but he was not a good kicker.
  • Fifth-stringer Matt Waldoch was 3-of-3 on 29-yard FGs against Maryland. He was a club soccer player two months ago.
  • Sixth-stringer Harrison Martin absolutely nailed an 18-yard FG against Maryland. He joined the team three weeks ago.

He can kick it a hell of a lot better than Joe Burrow
I went camping with Joe Burrow … I’m in the back of a pickup with Joe Burrow and a live deer. Well, Joe Burrow, he grabs the deer by the antlers, looks at it and says, ‘I’m Joe Burrow! Say it!’ Then he squeezes the deer in such a way that a sound comes out of its mouth — “Joe Burrow!” It wasn’t exactly it, but it was pretty good for a deer.

He's a bad field goal kicker.
In fact, we've had a lot of bad field goal kickers this year:
  • Returning starter Barrett Pickering has kicked in three games; he missed the first seven because of a leg injury; now he is recovering from a concussion. He finished last year making his last 10 FGs, including 3-of-3 in the snow against MSU.
  • Backup Dylan Jorgensen kicked in the opener, but then got injured. He hasn't played since.
  • Punter Isaac Armstrong tried to kick FGs in the Colorado game, but his shank in OT may have cost us the game (one of our many deficiencies)
  • Walk-on safety Lane McCallum lived his dream by kicking a miracle 24-yard game winner against Northwestern, but he was not a good kicker.
  • Fifth-stringer Matt Waldoch was 3-of-3 on 29-yard FGs against Maryland. He was a club soccer player two months ago.
  • Sixth-stringer Harrison Martin absolutely nailed an 18-yard FG against Maryland. He joined the team three weeks ago.
So you're saying we have a lot of depth at kicker?

Iowa has an advantage in every category...even offense....our best player won't be healthy, our #2 WR is done...and we basically have one rb...Adrian isn't what he was last year...and we might be relying on a 3rd string true freshman qb to play WIDE RECEIVER AND RUNNING BACK... we were thin before we lost three offensive players to mental illness, lost our top playmaker, and our #2 WR...our defense is decent if the offense has to go 75 yards...sadly that is rarely the case as we get raped in the field position and turnover battle regularly. Iowa will win if they keep their turnovers <3.

Iowa has an advantage in every category...even offense....our best player won't be healthy, our #2 WR is done...and we basically have one rb...Adrian isn't what he was last year...and we might be relying on a 3rd string true freshman qb to play WIDE RECEIVER AND RUNNING BACK... we were thin before we lost three offensive players to mental illness, lost our top playmaker, and our #2 WR...our defense is decent if the offense has to go 75 yards...sadly that is rarely the case as we get raped in the field position and turnover battle regularly. Iowa will win if they keep their turnovers <3.
While I want to believe you can’t say that I do. I will still bite to request details about “...we lost three offensive players to mental illness...”

Btw we have posters at Iowa with a similarly sunny outlook :)

While I want to believe you can’t say that I do. I will still bite to request details about “...we lost three offensive players to mental illness...”

Btw we have posters at Iowa with a similarly sunny outlook :)
Unfortunately he's just telling it like it is. Maurice Washington went AWOL and 2 other potential starters at TE and WR got suspended indefinitely for pure stupidity (or mental illness).

ADVERTISEMENT