ADVERTISEMENT

Teddy Allen-Basketball Recruit

Former Boys Town product was on campus yesterday and apparently holds an offer from Nebraska. Would be a big get, all this kid does is score. If Hoiberg can land him and keep his head straight he will put up big numbers.

Averaging 32 PPG, 54% from the field, and 42% from 3 at Nebraska Western.

Watching him at Boys Town a few times was awesome...

If he continues to shoot that well from 3-point range, he's an NBA talent. His only weakness at West Virginia was outside shooting. He can get to the basket almost at will.

He's also shooting 90% from the Free Throw line. That stat alone makes me want him here.

So, what exactly did he do to get booted at Wichita St?

Domestic disturbance with his girlfriend. She later put out a statement saying it was all a miscommunication after drinking too much, and she wasn't harmed at all. Regardless, Teddy does have mental health issues (diagnosed Bi-polar, ADHD, Depression). Royce White did too and Hoiberg was able to help him stay on track, so has experience with a similar situation.

He also transferred to Wichita because he wanted to be closer to his support group at Boys Town, but Nebraska and Creighton both declined at the time. He's very close with the Boys Town AD/Associate Principal, so having him close by would be huge for him.

I stated it before...met Teddy twice at games...very approachable...think his teammates liked him a lot...more than once, Marshall intimated he couldn't be stopped on the 'scout 'squad...

That might be the Teddy Allen version, but there is a reason he was told to explore other options by Huggins and Wichita State dropped him in a heart beat over the charge, and why Miles and McDermott passed on him twice. People talk of addition by subtraction. There can also be subtraction by addition. No doubt about the on court potential and I suppose each coach tends to think he is the one who can make it work. So, we will see.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
I'll trust Fred on this one, sounds like Teddy and Nebraska might be good for each other.

Reactions: Thrasher31
I'm cautious on him but Fred took in cases like this before, and being close to boy's town will help him. Fill in right away next year as a scorer

Reactions: dinglefritz
That might be the Teddy Allen version, but there is a reason he was told to explore other options by Huggins and Wichita State dropped him in a heart beat over the charge, and why Miles and McDermott passed on him twice. People talk of addition by subtraction. There can also be subtraction by addition. No doubt about the on court potential and I suppose each coach tends to think he is the one who can make it work. So, we will see.

Why does this remind of Deverell Biggs (sp?) from Omaha Central a number of years back. Seemed to bounce around before landing at Nebraska - then flamed out in the first semester. Had a lot of potential. Would be nice to see a success story out of this.

Absolute headcase who's not good enough to put up with. I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole if I was a basketball coach.

He was suspended 3 games mid-season at WVU because he shoved an assistant coach and told him to suck his dick. It was one of the main factors in why he was shown the door by Huggs.

Absolute headcase who's not good enough to put up with. I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole if I was a basketball coach.

He was suspended 3 games mid-season at WVU because he shoved an assistant coach and told him to suck his dick. It was one of the main factors in why he was shown the door by Huggs.

I know you make it sound terrible, but if this even true, it’s not the most horrid thing done by a college athlete. Fred Hoiberg built ISU into a contender by taking flyers on troubled youth, giving them a chance in a semi-professional setting, all while building a very successful team. Some would say it’s not much different than what he did with the Bull Shit Chicago Bulls, albeit these and the ISU boys weren’t getting paid millions of dollars. I say sit back and let the Coach make his moves, and not judge young athletes for more or less saying F U inappropriately. Upon consistent winning, if we are lucky to reach that point, posts like yours and mine will disappear.

Nebraska aint in a position to pass him up. Beggars cant be choosers. Give him the law and boot him if he doesnt comply.

Reactions: headcard

Fred benched his star PG because he was one minute late for the bus. He will hold Teddy accountable. He kept Royce White in line and helped him with his mental health issues.

It it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. We'll have enough talent on next year's team to be pretty good without him (Banton and Stevenson are really good). But with him, we will be a legit NCAA tournament team.

Happy he’s a Husker. And we all know that if we didn’t take him, someone else would have. I’ll take my chances with Fred keeping him under control as best he can.

All up to Teddy at this point. It's your 3rd chance, do with it what you will. I wouldn't blame Nebraska at all for giving him the chance if it doesn't work out. At 21 years of age, you have to decide to be a mature, responsible man or whatever else the alternative is.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

What if that Coach was indeed an asshole and was offering? What if? Takes 2 sides, bro.

Reactions: dinglefritz
WTF....Nebraska is literally the worst power 5 team in college basketball history. There is no way we could possibly subtract from a bottom dweller. He is the best talent that NU has seen in a long time...is from the area, and has supports in place. He isn't going 1000 miles from home to West Virginia of all places and trying to survive on his own with papa huggins giving him advice. The kid has to exist whether we sign him or not. This is a win/win... he will have support at a pivotal time in his life and we will get the best talent we have had in a long time.

Reactions: nwualum
What if that Coach was indeed an asshole and was offering? What if? Takes 2 sides, bro.
I had a basketball coach in high school that I wish now I had cold cocked after one of his brilliant coaching moves. Unknowingly got even with him though. Got his sorry ass fired and he couldn't get another teaching or coaching job for a long time.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
If he's coaching for Bob Huggins then he probably is an asshole, but you do not put your hands on a coach. Huggins takes tough kids, pushes them past their perceived limit, and wins with them. He's old school.

If you push your coach, you are not a tough kid. You are a mentally weak kid. Maybe Allen can get it right in Lincoln. But he's a Boys Town kid for a reason, don't kid yourself.

If he's coaching for Bob Huggins then he probably is an asshole, but you do not put your hands on a coach. Huggins takes tough kids, pushes them past their perceived limit, and wins with them. He's old school.

If you push your coach, you are not a tough kid. You are a mentally weak kid. Maybe Allen can get it right in Lincoln. But he's a Boys Town kid for a reason, don't kid yourself.
Just askin' questions....I'm a curious dude.

Wait a minute whaaaaa......he told the coach to suck his who????

Funny to watch people rationalize this. Pushing a coach or saying something to a coach may have led to suspension, but it was not the reason he was shown the door. His teammates at WVU couldn't stand him. Marshall has kept guys around who have been accused of much worse than grabbing a cell phone out of his girl friend's hands and throwing it against a wall - a misdemeanor. It was a convenient excuse to cut him. Ask yourself, why does someone with his talent not have any other offers? There is immature and there is character. Immature guys can grow up. Character usually doesn't change, at least not long term. He may prove me wrong, but with the black eyes Nebraska has given itself this past year with a few athletes, I don't think its a chance worth taking - particularly if Hoiberg is the kind of recruiter everyone says he is and can get as a good a talent without the risk.

Reactions: Dean Pope
Funny to watch people rationalize this. Pushing a coach or saying something to a coach may have led to suspension, but it was not the reason he was shown the door. His teammates at WVU couldn't stand him. Marshall has kept guys around who have been accused of much worse than grabbing a cell phone out of his girl friend's hands and throwing it against a wall - a misdemeanor. It was a convenient excuse to cut him. Ask yourself, why does someone with his talent not have any other offers? There is immature and there is character. Immature guys can grow up. Character usually doesn't change, at least not long term. He may prove me wrong, but with the black eyes Nebraska has given itself this past year with a few athletes, I don't think its a chance worth taking - particularly if Hoiberg is the kind of recruiter everyone says he is and can get as a good a talent without the risk.
We are going to have plenty of spots open. I figure with Samari leaving, Akol Arop being shown the door and one other leaving in addition to Cheatham and Kavas graduating we'll probably take 3 more guys. I dont if it's really that high risk to take a guy with that much talent if you have 4 other spots open.

I choose to picture this as the feel-good story of the day when Nebraska wins it's first tourney game in 2021. I can hear Jim Nantz's voice right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT