ADVERTISEMENT

TEAM USA TAKES DOWN WILSON TOBS, 14-2 [Boldt with a triple, 2 RBI]

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
May 29, 2001
Bellevue, Nebraska [formerly Omaha]
CNT: TEAM USA TAKES DOWN WILSON TOBS, 14-2

Six players post multi-hit efforts in the victory. Cornhusker Ryan Boldt was 1-for-4 with a triple, 2 RBIs, a run and 2 walks.

WILSON, N.C. ? The USA Baseball Collegiate National Team had 10 different players record at least one hit, including six with multi-hit efforts, as it took down the Wilson Tobs of the Coastal Plain League, 14-2, on Wednesday night at Fleming Stadium.

"I thought we put together a lot of quality at-bats up-and-down the lineup, advancing runners and taking advantage of a few things," Team USA manager Dave Van Horn said. "It was probably the most complete game we've played so far. I think a lot of it had to with the fact that we got some extra rest last night and you could just tell that the energy was a lot better.

"It has been hot and kind of a whirlwind week for these guys, traveling from all over the country, practicing one day and starting to play the next. They are starting to get to know each other and I can see them starting to pull for each other. That's the way baseball is, you have to have a little camaraderie and I like what I am seeing out there."

The victory kept Team USA's record unblemished in five games this summer, all of which have included at least one extra-base hit from Christin Stewart (Tennessee) who launched his second home run in the win over the Tobs, finishing 2-for-3 with a walk, two RBIs and a run scored.

Mark Matthias (Cal Poly) and Blake Trahan (Louisiana Lafayette) were both 3-for-6 in the win with Trahan driving in three runs and Matthias scoring three times. Nick Banks (Texas A&M) also had three RBIs while DJ Stewart (Florida State) and Alex Bregman (LSU) both had two hits to give Team USA six players with multiple-hit efforts. Ryan Boldt (Nebraska) and Matthias added two stolen bases each as well.

On the mound, Trey Killian (Arkansas) posted a dominant outing as the Team USA starter, striking out seven while allowing just one run on two hits over three frames of action.

Bailey Ober (College of Charlest) fanned a trio in three innings of one-run ball before Brandon Koch (Dallas Baptist), Sheldon Neuse (Oklahoma) and Ryan Burr (Arizona State) closed out the game with one scoreless stanza each.

The five U.S. pitchers combined to strike out 14 batters while walking just one. Through five games, the Team USA pitching staff has held opponents to a .160 average while striking out 59 and walking just nine in 49.2 innings.

On Wednesday Team USA wasted little time jumping on the Tobs, grabbing a 3-0 lead in the top of the first thanks to an RBI double by Bregman and two-run single by Banks. The Red, White and Blue would never look back after that, plating another run in the second, getting a two-run blast from Stewart in the fourth and putting up a four-spot in the sixth to go ahead 10-1.

After the Tobs had a runner cross the plate in the bottom of the sixth, the U.S. added one more in the seventh and three in the ninth to account for the game's final score.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT