ADVERTISEMENT

Team Ferentz about to get run?

Whether or not this puts the matter behind them, this clearly hurts their football team. You don’t lose the nations best strength coach and not get hurt going forward.

I wouldn't necessarily bet on that, but it's too early to tell. The only player we lost was his son. We have not lost any recruits from what is now the 11th best class in the nation.

There have been no current or former players saying anyone should be fired. In a press conference last week three current players spoke and all mentioned how close this has made the team. Furthermore, we are as talented as I can ever remember is skill positions. Our only question mark is the quarterback.

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
You might be correct. I’m not sure what else can be said at this point. Kirk and his players said some of the changes that have happened in the short term. At first it sounded like it was going to be an internal investigation so I’m hoping it’s going to be external.

Well Kirk could offer an apology to his former players.......since at the last presser he said he hadn't and didn't feel he needed to because "the players know how I feel."

That was pretty tone-deaf.

That’s the thing, I’m not denying anything. I’m simply correcting the wrong information you’re putting out there. Doyle is gone, like I said needed done. The worst accusation against Brian is asking Wadley if he was robbing a bank when he had a mask on. A “joke” that we have said numerous times at work with Covid masks on.

An investigation is still to be complete and we will know the full scope of what Kirk knew or denied. That’s what will determine his fate. That and opinions of current/former players going forward.

I'm not putting any wrong information out there, you just don't like my view. And again, my view isn't that anyone has to go, just that I would expect some accountability and transparency.

I wrote, I would be unhappy with the lack of meaningful action, if I was a supporter of the program. I even said why. The fact that Ferentz has not laid out a plan, or made any meaningful changes, isn't misinformation. You may think what he is doing (whatever that is) is fine, but it doesn't change the fact that he has not publicly taken responsibility or shared a plan to improve. And yes, it appears he walked back his one tweet a month policy, but it's not like I made that up, it was everywhere, which is probably why KF had the sudden change of heart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddbrayman
I'm not putting any wrong information our there, you just don't like my view. And again, my view isn't that anyone has to go, just that I would expect some accountability and transparency.

I wrote, I would be unhappy with the lack of meaningful action, if I was a supporter of the program. I even said why. The fact that Ferentz has not laid out a plan, or made any meaningful changes, isn't misinformation. You may think what he is doing (whatever that is) is fine, but it doesn't change the fact that he has not publicly taken responsibility or shared a plan to improve. And yes, it appears he walked back his one tweet a month policy, but it's not like I made that up, it was everywhere, which is probably why KF had the sudden change of heart.

Sure looks and sounds to me like Kirk has admitted he could have done better and will, and a lot of his black players agree and are OK with how he's handled this.

Reactions: jvjhawk
I wouldn't necessarily bet on that, but it's too early to tell. The only player we lost was his son. We have not lost any recruits from what is now the 11th best class in the nation.

There have been no current or former players saying anyone should be fired. In a press conference last week three current players spoke and all mentioned how close this has made the team. Furthermore, we are as talented as I can ever remember is skill positions. Our only question mark is the quarterback.

Looks like it's covered, then. Run along.

Sure looks and sounds to me like Kirk has admitted he could have done better and will, and a lot of his black players agree and are OK with how he's handled this.
Where? He basically refused to at the last press conference. I really don't think it is asking too much to do so. Admitting you have made mistakes and making a plan to correct them isn't giving into mob mentality, or whatever, it's just being a decent person and good leader. He has a chance to do that, but so far has chosen not too. Like I said earlier, if the people that matter at Iowa are OK with it, that's all that matters, but I would want the leader of any organization I support to own up and be accountable.

Iowa is going by the playbook de jour

admit there may or may not be a crisis .. but maybe-probably-most certainly not a real crisis.

let someone(s) take the blame but make no real changes .. then declare the crisis over despite the bodies (metaphorically speaking of course) continuing to pile up

Last edited:
18jwl2.jpg

Last edited:
It payout is actually $2.3 million which includes 15 months salary and two payments of $550,000. In exchange he cannot sue the U of I.

I'm surprised Iowa paid so much, but then we have not had to pay a former coach in 43 years.
He was scheduled to earn around $986,000 next year because of incentives. Looks like his settlement is one years salry plus $500000 and health insurance. Not too bad.

Lol that Iowa fan thinks any player on the current roster is going to create a stink...Iowa players aren’t playing for conference or national championships they are playing for a shot at the NFL and KF has proven to be moderately successful at getting players to the league.....players currently on the team will go along to get along....no reason to risk their shot at the NFL...Based on history of behavior KF/BF would retaliate against any player that speaks out....

Will that be enough?
Doyle is a huge reason Iowa took 2-3 stars and beat programs with better talent and put as many players as they do in the pros. Can they replace that performance with a gentle person who does not hurt feelings? Time will tell, but Nebraska better take advantage of the window of opportunity (at least until somebody cones back to say our program is racist too).

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Where? He basically refused to at the last press conference. I really don't think it is asking too much to do so. Admitting you have made mistakes and making a plan to correct them isn't giving into mob mentality, or whatever, it's just being a decent person and good leader. He has a chance to do that, but so far has chosen not too. Like I said earlier, if the people that matter at Iowa are OK with it, that's all that matters, but I would want the leader of any organization I support to own up and be accountable.

I read his Friday presser (admittedly I didn't watch it, just read it word for word), and I've read as much about this as I could find everywhere, inc all the specific complaints from the former players...It is obvious to me KF is not a flaming racist and a lot of his own players agree with that sentiment. I'm glad Iowa didn't get rid of him.

I read his Friday presser (admittedly I didn't watch it, just read it word for word), and I've read as much about this as I could find everywhere, inc all the specific complaints from the former players...It is obvious to me KF is not a flaming racist and a lot of his own players agree with that sentiment. I'm glad Iowa didn't get rid of him.

I agree he isn’t a flaming racist. However, he is in charge and they have had a culture allowing racists/bullying behavior bullying for two decades. He should take ownership and create a plan to fix it. I’m not saying he must be fired. However, I think the expectations should be a little higher than not a flaming racist.

This is why I took so long to come here and read this forum. I was pleasantly surprised that there was actual conversation....until I posted. Then the dorks come out to push buttons.

As to the person who is comparing this to JoePa, Art Briles, etc., give me a break. It’s not like white players got to shower first and take all the hot water or got first dibs at the training table. There have been plenty of white players coming out with the same bullying stories but, that stuff doesn’t make the air waves.

Here is a video of a black senior last year whose parents didn’t make senior day. Does his face look like a black player that has been oppressed for five years?

3364.jpg

That’s Kirk and his wife standing in for his parents on Senior Day.

You lost me at dork!

How is it not like the JoePa situation the Iowa board spent month chastising. Sounds more like your comparing the crime vs responsibility. Ignorance is not a defense at his level of ownership. The Iowa fan base didn't cut JoePa any slack whatsoever. He claimed ignorance.
JoePa wasn't peddy, but he provided a playground for many, many years without a peep. According to the above reproach football forum, JoePa was an enabler so just as guilty, the school was disgusting, the fans were disgusting for backing JoePa claiming ignorance. Now change the coaches name and the crime and you have the same situation. Unless your saying racism isn't that bad. KF is merely doing what he needs to do to secure his job and leave on his own terms. He sacrificed Doyle while trying to save his son. Speaking of Brian, where the hell is he? Is he hiding in Bidden's basement waiting for all this to blow over?

It all sounds familiar to me? Oh yeah, JoePa and Sanduski were both stood in for parents and had many pictures taken. I'm not saying KF is a racist, but he did fail to squash it, and that's one of his responsibilities. How can you be ultimately responsible for these kids and then turn around and claim 30 years of ignorance. You can't! He's paid handsomely to know what's going on. His strict policies and shutting down playing time closed the door to these kids airing what was going on. Don't piss off KF.

I agree he isn’t a flaming racist. However, he is in charge and they have had a culture allowing racists/bullying behavior bullying for two decades. He should take ownership and create a plan to fix it. I’m not saying he must be fired. However, I think the expectations should be a little higher than not a flaming racist.

I read a lot of those quotes and had no idea how somebody could make a case for racism on many of them, and same goes for bullying. YMMV. I think Doyle is kind of a dick, and I think he should have been let go at this point, but I'm also glad he got the money he did to leave.

I'm not putting any wrong information our there, you just don't like my view. And again, my view isn't that anyone has to go, just that I would expect some accountability and transparency.

Your willful ignorance is astounding. KF didn’t have to “walk back” his one tweet a month policy because it never happened. The person who reported it “walked it back” because they misinterpreted what was being talked about. There was never a policy like that. Players hadn’t already made multiple Tweets when the wrong information (your article you listed) was put out. You got duped my friend.

I haven’t taken a hard stance on how Kirk is handling things. You made the first claim that he was making “no changes”. That was incorrect. Now, you’re claiming “meaningful changes”, which is still incorrect.

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
Your willful ignorance is astounding. KF didn’t have to “walk back” his one tweet a month policy because it never happened. The person who reported it “walked it back” because they misinterpreted what was being talked about. There was never a policy like that. Players hadn’t already made multiple Tweets when the wrong information (your article you listed) was put out. You got duped my friend.

I haven’t taken a hard stance on how Kirk is handling things. You made the first claim that he was making “no changes”. That was incorrect. Now, you’re claiming “meaningful changes”, which is still incorrect.
I’m not incorrect, not by a long shot. But clearly you are choosing to keep on the blinders. Heck, I’m not even saying the guy should go, but you have decided to dig your heels in and stand by KF’s inaction no matter what. To each his own.

You lost me at dork!

How is it not like the JoePa situation the Iowa board spent month chastising. Sounds more like your comparing the crime vs responsibility. Ignorance is not a defense at his level of ownership. The Iowa fan base didn't cut JoePa any slack whatsoever. He claimed ignorance.
JoePa wasn't peddy, but he provided a playground for many, many years without a peep. According to the above reproach football forum, JoePa was an enabler so just as guilty, the school was disgusting, the fans were disgusting for backing JoePa claiming ignorance. Now change the coaches name and the crime and you have the same situation. Unless your saying racism isn't that bad. KF is merely doing what he needs to do to secure his job and leave on his own terms. He sacrificed Doyle while trying to save his son. Speaking of Brian, where the hell is he? Is he hiding in Bidden's basement waiting for all this to blow over?

It all sounds familiar to me? Oh yeah, JoePa and Sanduski were both stood in for parents and had many pictures taken. I'm not saying KF is a racist, but he did fail to squash it, and that's one of his responsibilities. How can you be ultimately responsible for these kids and then turn around and claim 30 years of ignorance. You can't! He's paid handsomely to know what's going on. His strict policies and shutting down playing time closed the door to these kids airing what was going on. Don't piss off KF.
Because claiming ignorance of pedophilia and ignorance of bullying/insensitive remarks is slightly different isn’t it? This investigation will tell us more. If Kirk knew more than what he is leading on, then we can discuss cover-ups. Plenty of Iowa players have stated that change starts in the weight room and with Brian. As Barta just said, the fate of BF will hinge on the investigation.

I’m not incorrect, not by a long shot. But clearly you are choosing to keep on the blinders. Heck, I’m not even saying the guy should go, but you have decided to dig your heels in and stand by KF’s inaction no matter what. To each his own.
Plenty of players had Tweeted multiple times before you June 8th article. The one Tweet that had to be checked by the university was in reference to Tweets written on Iowa letterheads speaking out about racial injustice and change. That’s where the confusion came from.

There aren’t any credible former players saying Kirk needs to be fired. The notion has been that Kirk is the man to lead going forward. I think things could definitely change with the investigation that Barta says will take a couple weeks.

Reactions: 9and4
“I’m responsible for anything that happens here. So anything that happens (that) is a failure, that’s on my desk. That’s my issue to deal with. I can’t do anything about what’s happened. What I can do is try to do a better job moving forward.”

Is that taking ownership or no? He started a plan to fix things in 2017. Are you even listening?

“I’m responsible for anything that happens here. So anything that happens (that) is a failure, that’s on my desk. That’s my issue to deal with. I can’t do anything about what’s happened. What I can do is try to do a better job moving forward.”

Is that taking ownership or no? He started a plan to fix things in 2017. Are you even listening?

I am, are you?

Barta said today the player group KF started hadn’t met in a long time. He said the things they have in place are great, they just have to actually use them.

So if KF did such great work in 2017, why has this continued for 3 more years? Why does Iowa have one of the lowest grad rates in the nation for black players?

If you are OK with the approach being taken, that’s your prerogative. But pleas get off the Iowa high horse and please stop trying to act like KF is trying to lead change, when he clearly is not.

I have a Zoom meeting tomorrow morning with the director of the journalism school. Wish me luck!
“ I guess you've just gotta find something you love to do and then... do it for the rest of your life. For me, it's going to Rushmore.”
“Maybe I'm spending too much of my time starting up clubs and putting on plays. I should probably be trying harder to score chicks.“

seems like those could get slipped into the convo pretty easy.

Reactions: 9and4
“ I guess you've just gotta find something you love to do and then... do it for the rest of your life. For me, it's going to Rushmore.”
“Maybe I'm spending too much of my time starting up clubs and putting on plays. I should probably be trying harder to score chicks.“

seems like those could get slipped into the convo pretty easy.
Imma go with:
"I can write a hit play. Why can't I have a little drink to unwind myself?"

Reactions: HominidHusker
I am, are you?

Barta said today the player group KF started hadn’t met in a long time. He said the things they have in place are great, they just have to actually use them.

So if KF did such great work in 2017, why has this continued for 3 more years? Why does Iowa have one of the lowest grad rates in the nation for black players?

If you are OK with the approach being taken, that’s your prerogative. But pleas get off the Iowa high horse and please stop trying to act like KF is trying to lead change, when he clearly is not.
I watched the press conference and didn’t hear Barta say that. Do you have a link?

I’ve stated that there are signs it has worked but like Barta said, there is still a lot more work to be done, which is why it’s been restructured. Black player transfers have decreased the past couple of seasons. Heck, Nebraska has had way more black football players transfer lately. It’s part of football and living in a predominantly white area of the country.

There are plenty of outspoken parents of current players that believe change is happening. The players believe it, so I believe it. I do, however, have an open mind as to what the investigation will show.

Doyle is a huge reason Iowa took 2-3 stars and beat programs with better talent and put as many players as they do in the pros. Can they replace that performance with a gentle person who does not hurt feelings? Time will tell, but Nebraska better take advantage of the window of opportunity (at least until somebody cones back to say our program is racist too).

That's complete and utter clown talk. There is no easier job than that of S&C coach. You're getting young men in the primes of their physical lives with the testosterone flowing. It's impossible to not get results.

I am, are you?

I didn’t hear him say that but you might be right. Not sure if the “task force” was meant be a one time deal or not. Could be what Barta and Kirk have meant by it not being enough.

I didn’t hear him say that but you might be right. Not sure if the “task force” was meant be a one time deal or not. Could be what Barta and Kirk have meant by it not being enough.
I know he said “it” wasn’t disbanded, they just hadn’t meet for a while. I really have no frame of reference for what this used to look like or what they want it to look like now, but it seemed like Barta thought their process was fine, if it was being used.

I thought the PC was interesting, especially the part where the reporter asked why they paid Doyle instead of letting his contract expire July 1. I also thought it was interesting that he deflected the Brian Ferentz questions to the investigation, but Doyle wasn’t afforded that same patience.

I know Iowa fans say Barta is always putting his foot in his mouth, but he did a good job, for what it was. He still didn’t provide any sort of concrete plan or a timeframe to have one, but did seem to care and at least answered all the questions. Although his answer to how he knows KF can lead change was pretty weak, basically “because I know him and he can”.

Last edited:
I'm not putting any wrong information out there, you just don't like my view. And again, my view isn't that anyone has to go, just that I would expect some accountability and transparency.

Thank God TO retired and doesn't have to coach in today's environment.

Thank God TO retired and doesn't have to coach in today's environment.
TO would have thrived. He was a visionary and his Psychology background would have been huge. Stuff TO did decades ago, like the unity council and team psychologists, is considered cutting edge now. Can’t just bitch about the way things are, you have to adapt and stay ahead of the curve.

They can now be individuals, with one pre-approved tweet per month.

And when you say he will listen to his players, you mean starting now, right? Or was suspending players who complained about Doyle, part of that listening?

Again, I am not saying he has to go because of these allegations, but let's be honest, he clearly doesn't want to address this issue.

Lol! How the **** are we losing to these guys? Not sure if Ferentz will be let go before season or retire after, but you know he's done. That's unfortunate. Iowa fans will say but... when we spank that ass for the forseeable future.

I know he said “it” wasn’t disbanded, they just hadn’t meet for a while. I really have no frame of reference for what this used to look like or what they want it to look like now, but it seemed like Barta thought their process was fine, if it was being used.

I thought the PC was interesting, especially the part where the reporter asked why they paid Doyle instead of letting his contract expire July 1. I also thought it was interesting that he deflected the Brian Ferentz questions to the investigation, but Doyle wasn’t afforded that same patience.

I know Iowa fans say Barta is always putting his foot in his mouth, but he did a good job, for what it was. He still didn’t provide any sort of concrete plan or a timeframe to have one, but did seem to care and at least answered all the questions. Although his answer to how he knows KF can lead change was pretty weak, basically “because I know him and he can”.
The main focus from players has been on Doyle. That’s why he didn’t get the benefit of the doubt. It was pretty obvious he need to go. The first and biggest step was to get rid of him. Paying him comes with the piece of mind that he won’t be filing any lawsuits in the future. It was probably the cheapest and quickest way for Iowa to move on from him. That’s my take away.

Well...Doyle got paid 1.1 million to never have to talk again.

Could you imagine the Iowa fans if this was happening to Frost and Nebraska? Iowa fans outta eat crow and go about their lives. This one will be hanging over them as long as Kirk is the HC so ya better get used to it.
I was thinking about this the other day. If this were happening to Nebraska, there would easily be 100+ Iowa trolls here taking over every single thread. It would be all the comments by Iowa fans on Twitter. They would never let it go. It would be insane.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT