ADVERTISEMENT

TE usage in Lincoln

Red I 73

All-American
Nov 25, 2007
West Des Moines, Iowa
Will it be a factor this year? Watching the Iowa State game. Cyclones bunch three tight ends all 6'6 or taller and a forth TE on opposite side. With the talent and numbers in Huskers TE room it sure looks that could be a weapon that is talked about but seldom used.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
we have talent in the TE room?

news to me.

vokolek is the only hope until Fidone arrives. allen and stoll are non-factors.
I hear about this TE talent a lot. Got to wonder what barometer is being used. Seems like a bunch of lightly recruited guys, with no college production to me. Obviously Fidone is a different animal.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Think the rating coming out of high school was equal to what was recruited in Ames. Are telling me the coaches haven't developed it?
what would you like them to develop? they're unskilled & slow, inherited from the previous staff.

Vokolek was recruited by this staff. I expect him to play a lot this year and greatly outpace stoll in targets.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
The TEs we have were rated what they were because they were 6'8" and 6'6"-7" and could walk and chew gum and the same time. Apparently not much beyond that. It's called rating them as recruits based on potential that their physical stats dictate. Not all live up to that. Shocking I know.

what would you like them to develop? they're unskilled & slow, inherited from the previous staff.

Vokolek was recruited by this staff. I expect him to play a lot this year and greatly outpace stoll in targets.
I honestly don't even care how good they are in the passing game, I just want to see someone from that position who isn't atrocious at blocking.

What amazes me is that Fidone isn't even used as a tight end on his high school team. He spends most of the game split out. Not saying that he won't evolve into a tight end with his hand on the ground, but I don't see him blocking at all!

Reactions: Red I 73
Perhaps there is a conscious effort to involve the TE in upcoming years - but it appears that the TE position was not a priority initially

the staff signed only 1 TE combined in 2018-2019-2020 classes - Hickman - and I’m not sure he is a TE that will be an asset blocking next to a tackle on the LOS

they have the Rutgers transfer - I don’t know how active they have been in the JUCO/transfer arenas

I did not include Jurgens as I don’t think he was ever in the plans at TE

Last edited:
I am hoping it is a factor this year. I think it's been under utilized.

As far as the heavy formation with the 3-TE bunch. I don't think you will see that as I don't think that really fits into our spread concepts. That's just my opinion.

I do think we could use 2 on a play but likely it would be a TE along with a slot/Hback type. Could use a lot of motion with this personnel. I think this could fit in the scheme.

I really like Austin. Sounds like he is bigger. I think he's going to do well this year.

I am hoping it is a factor this year. I think it's been under utilized.

As far as the heavy formation with the 3-TE bunch. I don't think you will see that as I don't think that really fits into our spread concepts. That's just my opinion.

I do think we could use 2 on a play but likely it would be a TE along with a slot/Hback type. Could use a lot of motion with this personnel. I think this could fit in the scheme.

I really like Austin. Sounds like he is bigger. I think he's going to do well this year.
Cyclones used the three TE bunch and flooded the center of the field with two TE across the middle and one breaking out. Created some size mismatches.

I don't think TE's at the college level can be effective by themselves or in isolation. The rest of the team needs execute their scripts as well.

Reactions: oldjar07
I don't think TE's at the college level can be effective by themselves or in isolation. The rest of the team needs execute their scripts as well.
Agreed TE's at the college level just don't have a big impact in the passing game except in rare circumstances.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT