ADVERTISEMENT

Taysom Hill will be back for BYU

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
He was mentioned as a Heisman contender before his season ending injury. Bronco Mendenhall thinks they'll have one of the best offenses in college football with him at QB this next fall. I had forgotten about him. I've watched a couple of his games and he's a VERY good football player.

that game is going to be a tall task for the opening of the Mike Riley era.

Very tough debut. Would prefer a few patsies to open the season.

Originally posted by dinglefritz:
He was mentioned as a Heisman contender before his season ending injury. Bronco Mendenhall thinks they'll have one of the best offenses in college football with him at QB this next fall. I had forgotten about him. I've watched a couple of his games and he's a VERY good football player.
Our defense will definitely have their hands full right out of the gate.... I also heard that their defense may be the opposite of their offense.

Will be important for our offense to help the defense out in this game.

Besides Cook from MSU,Taysom Hill will be the best QB will see in the regular season.

Originally posted by scarletred:

Our defense will definitely have their hands full right out of the gate.... I also heard that their defense may be the opposite of their offense.

Will be important for our offense to help the defense out in this game.

Besides Cook from MSU,Taysom Hill will be the best QB will see in the regular season.
The best QB in the country will look bad with Valentine, Collins, McMullen and Gangwish in his grill - let's hope that happens.

Doesn't Conner Cook ever graduate? He reminds me of Sean LaChappelle who seemed to play at UCLA for 10 years.

Originally posted by dinglefritz:
Originally posted by mwulf:
will he be healthy? His knee was ripped up pretty bad
Sounds like it.
Last year after it happened they didn't think he would be ready for the start of the next season that he had hurt it that bad.

He just threw during the spring from what was mentioned.

He will not run the Football like he did in the past. They aren't going to allow him to take that type of pounding. In fact, his first hit he takes all season will be against the Huskers.

From what BYU's coach said, Hill will be 100% before summer. He'll definitely be playing against us, along with a couple really good, really tall wide receivers that could be a matchup problem. (Not much depth behind Hill, they do get a good QB returning from his mission in the fall but he'll need a lot of reps to be ready and he's much more of a pass-only statue who doesn't seem to fit the same offense that Hill does.)

BYU will score points on us, they're really too good on offense behind Hill not to. But their defense isn't that great and our receivers are probably already looking forward to facing their DBs.

Wild card is how many players will be suspended for all or part of the game against us because of the bowl game brawl. BYU has some real talent but they don't have a lot of depth at a number of positions.

Originally posted by worldstarhusker:
Hill will be the 3rd best QB we face

Cook > Kaaya > Hill > rest
Did you see him play before his injury? I would have taken him in a heartbeat before Cook. Hill's the real deal. Much better all around player.

Reunite, if you're worried about BYUs passing game, youre worried about the wrong thing. Taysom Hill is a marginal passer. His effectiveness is solely due to his legs and physicality.

Originally posted by Cornicator:
Reunite, if you're worried about BYUs passing game, youre worried about the wrong thing. Taysom Hill is a marginal passer. His effectiveness is solely due to his legs and physicality.
He's very much a run-first QB, but he's better than marginal. Before he got hurt last year he was throwing for a 67% completion rate. Sure, part of that is opponents respecting the run and receivers running pretty open but he still made the throws.

I see him as a lot like a somewhat better version of Taylor Martinez. Fantastic straight line speed. Not a lot of moves. Only decent arm, but better mechanics than Martinez. Better leadership.

If BYU has to shut down the QB run game, he will only be a bit more effective than Martinez was when he played hurt and couldn't run. We win handily if that's the case.

I'm worried about BYU's offense, including their passing game which is set up by their running game. Not too worried about their defense.

I would love to have their statue qb thats coming back from his mission. Tanner Mangum was a future star in the making before he left. Im curious to see what happens with the time off and a new offense from the one in which he committed to previously.

Originally posted by ReuniteGondwanaland:
Originally posted by Cornicator:
He's very much a run-first QB, but he's better than marginal. Before he got hurt last year he was throwing for a 67% completion rate. Sure, part of that is opponents respecting the run and receivers running pretty open but he still made the throws.

I see him as a lot like a somewhat better version of Taylor Martinez. Fantastic straight line speed. Not a lot of moves. Only decent arm, but better mechanics than Martinez. Better leadership.

If BYU has to shut down the QB run game, he will only be a bit more effective than Martinez was when he played hurt and couldn't run. We win handily if that's the case.

I'm worried about BYU's offense, including their passing game which is set up by their running game. Not too worried about their defense.
BYU will have a very good offense. Their scheme is good and similar to Stanford. They play a very physical brand of football. But their passing game is minimized without Hills ability to control things on the ground.

Strangely enough, Nebraska actually has an advantage with Riley and Banker vs the Cougars. They've faced Mendenhall and BYU a few times in the last 4 seasons. The personnel will be different, but the tendencies will be similar.

Meanwhile, BYU may see some different things Riley with different skill sets at Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT