ADVERTISEMENT

Taylor Martinez recruitment

C'mon really? You are throwing a national championship game at me? That was a game Nebraska backed in to. Losing to Colorado by 26 should disqualify anyone from playing in the title game, no division title that year, no conference title that year, and you are talking about playing in a national title game, a game in which we lost by 23 and it wasn't really that close.

Crouch career 43 games - 312-606 51% 4481 yards 29 TDs 25 INTs 6.5 yards per attempt
Ganz career 24 games - 381-585 65% 5125 yards 44 TDS 18 INTs 8.9 yards per attempt

Yep, I'd take Ganz as my QB every single time. Crouch could play RB or WR though.

Wow doubling down on a jlb type comment. Your hill to die on.

Reactions: scarletred
Loved Joe Ganz. Very underrated. Would love to have a guy like him now. Pretty good arm, decent runner, particularly when scrambling. It's great to have a guy who can make plays, but with the WR corps we have now I'd much prefer a QB who can deliver the ball and let the WRs make plays.

You’d take TMagic over Ganz?
Also Zac won B12 Offensive player of the year
Martinez was 1st B1G. He single handedly won games for us.... and lost a few but when he was on he could take over a game. Ganz had some good games but was more of a game manager who had an elite defense.

Reactions: bshirt73

th

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I was at that game. 11am east coast start Jan 1.

Needless to say it took a handful of cocktails to get up and moving that early.

Great game featuring a ton of future pros. Who’d have thought that would be about as good as it got under Bo.
Yeah it wasn't pretty, but still a gritty team performance.

Those 2 programs were about equal back then, but diverged much differently.

Last edited:
2 things I I will say bout this video. First I don't care how up and down or how polarizing fans felt bout T-Mart...we have NOT had a QB as good as him in his prime since he left!

Second......damn I miss blowing quality teams out by the 3rd quarter!!

Nowadays I'm sitting in the house sweating it out in the 4th quarter against South Alabama and Roast Beef State......smh.

Later in Bo’s tenure we were getting blowen out remember wisky

Martinez was 1st B1G. He single handedly won games for us.... and lost a few but when he was on he could take over a game. Ganz had some good games but was more of a game manager who had an elite defense.
FWIW, Martinez was only 1st team All Conference on one poll where he won it because some conference coaches refused to vote for Urban's QB, Braxton Miller.. The writers had Martinez 3rd team IF I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Crouch won the Heisman @ QB. Not his fault that Solich couldn't recruit or playcall.
I’m not trying to make Crouch out as some slug. He was a tremendous athlete, there is no denying that. But as a QB he lacked passing skills. He threw the ball to the opponent as often as he threw a TD. If one of our QBs does that now he would be run out of town. Look at the shit Tommy Armstrong took as an interception machine. He has more career completions than Crouch had attempts.

Crouch won the Heisman because he could run the ball.

The Heisman finalists that year were weak at best. Rex Grossman finished second as a Soph, followed by Ken Dorsey and Joey Harrington.

If Bobby Newcombe could have stayed healthy, He wouldn’t even have been the quarterback in Solich’s offense.
This is where I draw the line.

Newcombe was definitely a better passer than Crouch, but he wouldn’t get downhill in the “option” game and was just an all-around candy ass.

All I am saying is that if Crouch put up the same passing numbers in today's football world as he did in the late 90's and early 2000's, 90% of y'all would be saying he needs to be moved to receiver or running back and we need a QB that can complete better than 51% and throw less picks. Crouch was a great QB for that particular team, but not a great QB.

JC Watts, Jamelle Holieway and Thomas Lott were all great at what they did for Oklahoma, but no one is saying they were among the greatest quarterbacks, they were great option quarterbacks. They wouldn't sniff the field as QB in today's college football.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
They would also spend a lot more time in practice throwing bubble screens instead of working on handoffs and option pitches, which would boost their completion percentages. Comparing players from different eras is a fool's errand.

C'mon man, you are as big a critic of Adrian Martinez as there is, yet when you look at the passing numbers

Crouch had 25 picks and 29 TDs in 606 attempts. Martinez has 20 picks and 31 TDs in 749.
comparing TD/INT ratios of these two in a vacuum is the dumbest thing I have ever seen on the internet

nothing could possibly be typed that would be more meaningless

Reactions: kakdawg
I’m not trying to make Crouch out as some slug. He was a tremendous athlete, there is no denying that. But as a QB he lacked passing skills. He threw the ball to the opponent as often as he threw a TD. If one of our QBs does that now he would be run out of town. Look at the shit Tommy Armstrong took as an interception machine. He has more career completions than Crouch had attempts.

Crouch won the Heisman because he could run the ball.

The Heisman finalists that year were weak at best. Rex Grossman finished second as a Soph, followed by Ken Dorsey and Joey Harrington.

Well, I felt differently at the time. Crouch was a quarterback for one of the premier programs in the country. He was amazing. He knew how to win. He was tough and he could juke. And of course, take it to the house.

Crouch is legend. He didn't play behind the pipeline and didn't have an Ahman Green. Give me Eric Crouch any day of the week. He was a warrior.

Then he finally beat OU. All I remember was that pitch, pass and catch! Then the pose. Desmond Howard had his. Crouch had his. I honestly find it hard to believe that anyone would take Ganz over Crouch. Crouch ran around people, by people, THROUGH people and then there was the occasional pass. Just to keep them honest.

I don't see how Crouch's Heisman is any less special than any other year. He was the best that year. Anyone else not proud of Eric's Heisman?

I remember the K-State facemask game. The time he ran OVER that Iowa "defender." Who can forget when we took over Notre Dame's stadium and turned it red. That was Crouch.

All I am saying is that if Crouch put up the same passing numbers in today's football world as he did in the late 90's and early 2000's, 90% of y'all would be saying he needs to be moved to receiver or running back and we need a QB that can complete better than 51% and throw less picks. Crouch was a great QB for that particular team, but not a great QB.

JC Watts, Jamelle Holieway and Thomas Lott were all great at what they did for Oklahoma, but no one is saying they were among the greatest quarterbacks, they were great option quarterbacks. They wouldn't sniff the field as QB in today's college football.
Crouch threw maybe 100 passes during his entire high school career. he had a big time arm. if he'd been asked since middle school to throw 30x per game, he would have been more than capable.

if he'd been our QB the last 3 years, we'd have won a ton more games. that's for damn sure.

And if he wouldn't have been injury prone, then Solich doesn't make the trip to Omaha to get Crouch to come back to Lincoln.

During that time back then you could go to scrimmages on Saturday during the spring and I went to them and Crouch out played Newcombe during a lot of those scrimmages..

Newcombe had better touch on the ball but he wasn’t very tall either and to compare him to Spencer Rattler if he would be playing now is a joke..

Crouch would be beating out Newcombe now if they were the only 2 QB‘s competing in Frost offense..

Or they would play at army or navy and kick the shit out of teams that dare to play them ...but power 5 teams would avoid them as most already do

Reactions: Jhollenbeck41
One won games, the other doesn’t. I’ll let you figure out which is which.

Jeeesh, c'mon partner, you're easily sharp enough to know there's a monster sized difference for winning games than just the qb. A horrible special team beyond belief, an Oline that is starting to coming around but has a long, long ways to go (including center hikes that fly around everywhere), no one even remotely close to the Jet or other previous great ones at wr. Oh, enough, I'll just shut up.

Heh, I know you know this quite well TampsBaySkers.....I just couldn't resist sir. :)

Just imagine Paul, Bell, Herrian, Reed, Helu and Abdullah in this Offense

Good players in any offense. Those guys could ball so I imagine they would do just as well in this one. I guess you are saying that this offense is better than that one from 2010. So far I think I'd disagree with that statement. Now if we are talking what we seen at UCF we can have some discussions lol.

Holla

Well, I felt differently at the time. Crouch was a quarterback for one of the premier programs in the country. He was amazing. He knew how to win. He was tough and he could juke. And of course, take it to the house.

Crouch is legend. He didn't play behind the pipeline and didn't have an Ahman Green. Give me Eric Crouch any day of the week. He was a warrior.

Then he finally beat OU. All I remember was that pitch, pass and catch! Then the pose. Desmond Howard had his. Crouch had his. I honestly find it hard to believe that anyone would take Ganz over Crouch. Crouch ran around people, by people, THROUGH people and then there was the occasional pass. Just to keep them honest.

I don't see how Crouch's Heisman is any less special than any other year. He was the best that year. Anyone else not proud of Eric's Heisman?

I remember the K-State facemask game. The time he ran OVER that Iowa "defender." Who can forget when we took over Notre Dame's stadium and turned it red. That was Crouch.
Crouch had Raoila and Fonoti. He had Evans but couldn't pitch the freaking ball. What Tuco says is true. No way Osborne let's Crouch start if he couldn't distribute. Dude had almoat twice the rushing attempts (648- 342)that Frazier had. Out of the I formation that's a no no.

Crouch had Raoila and Fonoti. He had Evans but couldn't pitch the freaking ball. What Tuco says is true. No way Osborne let's Crouch start if he couldn't distribute. Dude had almoat twice the rushing attempts (648- 342)that Frazier had. Out of the I formation that's a no no.
It was a different offense. Frazier had very few designed qb runs. TO actually put in for Frost the play where the QB faked to the FB and then had the IB as the lead blocker. We had big success in 97 vs Washington with it. That play eventually became a huge part of the offense with Crouch. With Frazier, LP was our best runner. With Crouch, Crouch was our best runner.

Yeah dude... Crouch and Deangelo Evans.

Evans was either hurt when Crouch played or had already QUIT THE TEAM.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT