ADVERTISEMENT

Taylor Martinez recruitment

Here's one for ya, Bo Pelini and staff were actually gonna pull Taylor's RS in 09 but had a last second change of heart. That woulda been interesting for that 09 squad as we were only a QB away from probably playing for a Natty that year. It's just too bad Ganz didn't a year left as he graduated in 08

He was a pretty good Tight End, sure, but...... C’MON MAN! The best athlete ever at Nebraska? Kyler reed? What the heck. He didn’t even start half the time because we brought Cotton in to block! He wasn’t even the best athlete on his team!
At the TE position alone, I would argue that Johnny Mitchell was on par or above Kyler Reed athletically especially when you consider he had legit TE size and was not the tweener that Kyler Reed was. One reason why Mitchell was a top 15 NFL draft pick and Reed was an undrafted free agent.

As I recall, Tmart was recruited as an athlete, and they said they would give him a shot at QB, but that was all.

Still remember all the hubbub when Bo came out and named him the starter.

Kid took a lot of hits.. hobbling out there on one ankle, and won a lot of games.

Big respect to him.

Not one of the greats, but a very good college QB for us at the time.

Here's one for ya, Bo Pelini and staff were actually gonna pull Taylor's RS in 09 but had a last second change of heart. That woulda been interesting for that 09 squad as we were only a QB away from probably playing for a Natty that year. It's just too bad Ganz didn't a year left as he graduated in 08
It was going to be against Texas Tech when Rex was out and Roy was playing hurt. We were just awful on offense for a stretch that season when RBs were hurt. We got down 14-0 i think in the first few minutes and we didn’t use the magic package.

I do not remember Kyler that affectionately. Seemed like a yuuuge underachiever to me.

I recall he had a big season in 2010 as a sophomore but kinda dropped off the next two years.
Kid just erased pursuit angles with his acceleration before he got hurt. KSU was an abject mess defensively that game.

Better defenses turned him over and made him look bad. Classic "athlete playing at the QB position" type of college QB.

He destroyed that foot and ankle by the time it was over, couldn't pass a physical for the NFL.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
TM seemed always hurt in the majority of big games, he took plenty of beating and couldn’t with stand the pounding Eric Crouch withstood..

If only we had him for the 2009 season at QB the 2010 Big 12 Championship game he came not 100% which was a big reason why Nebraska lost to OU..

Kid just erased pursuit angles with his acceleration before he got hurt. KSU was an abject mess defensively that game.

Better defenses turned him over and made him look bad. Classic "athlete playing at the QB position" type of college QB.

He destroyed that foot and ankle by the time it was over, couldn't pass a physical for the NFL.
I was referring to Kyler Reed in my post. But I agree with you assessment. TM still had a good career even after getting hurt. He had some big games and big comeback wins. He still had good speed in 2011 and 2012, but he wasn’t “shot out of a cannon” fast like he was as a freshman. In 2013, who knows exactly what was going on, but we probably would have kept playing him injured if we were in contention.

Speaking of abject mess defenses... Oklahoma State that same year. Martinez lit them up through the air and on the ground and we won a shootout in a great game. They were really really good on offense that year.

Reactions: scarletred
T Mart has been the best NU QB since Crouch. His freshman year had great moments and he carried the team his junior year. He competed and played through a lot of injuries.

I think Carl recruited him didn't he, maybe took him to the gentlemans club lol.
You’d take TMagic over Ganz?
Also Zac won B12 Offensive player of the year

He was a pretty good Tight End, sure, but...... C’MON MAN! The best athlete ever at Nebraska? Kyler reed? What the heck. He didn’t even start half the time because we brought Cotton in to block! He wasn’t even the best athlete on his team!
Not the best football player, but the dude was an athletic freak.

I would take Taylor over anyone we have at QB since Crouch.

A shame he got hurt. That 2010 team was pretty darn good.

It was going to be against Texas Tech when Rex was out and Roy was playing hurt. We were just awful on offense for a stretch that season when RBs were hurt. We got down 14-0 i think in the first few minutes and we didn’t use the magic package.
They were gonna pull his RS to play QB, not RB

I would take Taylor over anyone we have at QB since Crouch.

A shame he got hurt. That 2010 team was pretty darn good.
You need to be more clear. I would take Zac Taylor over Taylor Martinez.

However, I would take Joey Ganz over anyone we have had at QB since Crouch and maybe even over Crouch. Individual awards not withstanding. Ganz could run Frost's offense in it's current version, assuming there was an Oline and a running game and would throw for 4000 yards and run for another 400 and do it with a 2.5/1 TD/ INT ratio. Crouch didn't have the accuracy, Taylor didn't have the ability to run, Martinez and Armstrong fumble too much. Taylor Martinez too injury prone.

Ganz could really sling the ball and make stuff happen. Kid could have had a longer career if Callahan hadn’t taken Keller in that transfer from ASU.

Ganz could really sling the ball and make stuff happen. Kid could have had a longer career if Callahan hadn’t taken Keller in that transfer from ASU.
Billy C made a promise to Keller's dad as they still are close friends that Keller would be the starter from day 1 when he got here. The funny thing is about Ganz was even when Taylor was here, the only one that knew the offense better than him was Cally and Watson.

Reactions: NikkiSixx

However, I would take Joey Ganz over anyone we have had at QB since Crouch and maybe even over Crouch. Individual awards not withstanding. Ganz could run Frost's offense in it's current version, assuming there was an Oline and a running game and would throw for 4000 yards and run for another 400 and do it with a 2.5/1 TD/ INT ratio. Crouch didn't have the accuracy, Taylor didn't have the ability to run, Martinez and Armstrong fumble too much. Taylor Martinez too injury prone.

Was clear.

Quit baiting an argument.

I actually talked to a couple dudes on the SDSU defensive staff in the week leading up to their game vs Martinez and Nebraska. They were truly licking their chops because their option rules were 100% black and white, while the previous opponents were always putting their own guys in gray areas.
They also said that, no matter how good their plan was, Taylor was really just a complete guesser and an incredible athlete so they assumed he’d still catch them once or twice. Funniest part was how they truly laughed at how Holt’s defense at Washington couldn’t even get lined up correctly, much less know any fit/option rules.

Ganz over Crouch? Wtf. Ganz wasn’t carrying any team to a national championship game.

Ganz was a good player but sheesh he gets overrated on this board.

TM was recruited like we should have recruited Luke. Offered him as an athlete that would get his shot at qb, meanwhile we also took a qb recruit that was more established at the position. Putting all our eggs in one basket with Luke was dumb and felt rather lazy

To hell with all of you who don't respect Roast Beef State. We have a quality program, always fight and keep games interesting until the end. You don't see @jlb321 trolling on our board.

As a fan of Roast Beef State, when we keep the game close until the end, we call that giving the opponent The Meat Sweats. Fear the Beef!
well done

Man, there were some folks on here that hated that dude. The arguments about the current Martinez are bush league compared to the T Mart angst. Sure would like to see how things would’ve worked out if that ankle hadn’t been busted up several times.

Reactions: hedonistimpulse
Man, there were some folks on here that hated that dude. The arguments about the current Martinez are bush league compared to the T Mart angst. Sure would like to see how things would’ve worked out if that ankle hadn’t been busted up several times.
I recall that some expert poster diagnosed Taylor with Asperger's syndrome.

Reactions: jteten
Ganz over Crouch? Wtf. Ganz wasn’t carrying any team to a national championship game.

C'mon really? You are throwing a national championship game at me? That was a game Nebraska backed in to. Losing to Colorado by 26 should disqualify anyone from playing in the title game, no division title that year, no conference title that year, and you are talking about playing in a national title game, a game in which we lost by 23 and it wasn't really that close.

Crouch career 43 games - 312-606 51% 4481 yards 29 TDs 25 INTs 6.5 yards per attempt
Ganz career 24 games - 381-585 65% 5125 yards 44 TDS 18 INTs 8.9 yards per attempt

Yep, I'd take Ganz as my QB every single time. Crouch could play RB or WR though.

Reactions: Mr.Scary13
C'mon really? You are throwing a national championship game at me? That was a game Nebraska backed in to. Losing to Colorado by 26 should disqualify anyone from playing in the title game, no division title that year, no conference title that year, and you are talking about playing in a national title game, a game in which we lost by 23 and it wasn't really that close.

Crouch career 43 games - 312-606 51% 4481 yards 29 TDs 25 INTs 6.5 yards per attempt
Ganz career 24 games - 381-585 65% 5125 yards 44 TDS 18 INTs 8.9 yards per attempt

Yep, I'd take Ganz as my QB every single time. Crouch could play RB or WR though.
We backed into the title game in 2001, yes, but we were #1 in the country for a long stretch of the year and beat the defending National champs. We also had great teams in 1999 and 2000 that were ranked highly.

Crouch started for four seasons and was one of the top players in the conference for three seasons. He was basically our entire offense, especially as a senior. Crouch won a conference title and several individual awards. Has a ton of crazy records and individual highlights. He’s a consensus top 5-10 player in school history.

Joe Ganz started one season plus two games. He was a good quarterback for a 9-4 team. We ended the year on a positive note but we did not end the season ranked. I don’t think we were ranked in the top 25 at any point with Joe Ganz as our starter. Definitely Didn’t win our conference or division. We got blown out bad by Missouri and Oklahoma. Ganz threw a bad pick six to start the Oklahoma blowout and threw a bad pick in OT against Texas Tech to lose the game. Smart and efficient but physically limited. He wasn’t a world beater or an all timer. Yes he threw for 500+ yards against an awful Kstate team in 2007 and nearly 500 more against Colorado the next week.

What is it about Taylor Martinez that a thread about him devolves into Kyler Reed being the best athlete in Husker history and that Joe Ganz was better than Eric crouch? For goodness’s sakes

Reactions: bshirt73
We backed into the title game in 2001, yes, but we were #1 in the country for a long stretch of the year and beat the defending National champs. We also had great teams in 1999 and 2000 that were ranked highly.

Crouch started for four seasons and was one of the top players in the conference for three seasons. He was basically our entire offense, especially as a senior. Crouch won a conference title and several individual awards. Has a ton of crazy records and individual highlights. He’s a consensus top 5-10 player in school history.

Joe Ganz started one season plus two games. He was a good quarterback for a 9-4 team. We ended the year on a positive note but we did not end the season ranked. I don’t think we were ranked in the top 25 at any point with Joe Ganz as our starter. Definitely Didn’t win our conference or division. We got blown out bad by Missouri and Oklahoma. Ganz threw a bad pick six to start the Oklahoma blowout and threw a bad pick in OT against Texas Tech to lose the game. Smart and efficient but physically limited. He wasn’t a world beater or an all timer. Yes he threw for 500+ yards against an awful Kstate team in 2007 and nearly 500 more against Colorado the next week.

What is it about Taylor Martinez that a thread about him devolves into Kyler Reed being the best athlete in Husker history and that Joe Ganz was better than Eric crouch? For goodness’s sakes
The 1999 and 2000 teams were better than the 2001 team.

Trey Lantz only had power 5 B!G offers on defense. So much for offer lists mattering. It would be nice for NU to recruit a QB and have exceed our wildest dreams like this kid has NDSU's. You know they were telling him he could play QB while in the back of their mind thinking "he'll switch to safety or linebacker when he gets beat out at QB."
How much of that is due to a quality QB coach and how they develop the players? Obviously the kid has talent and is dedicated to working hard but a lot of his development is due to coaching.

Threads evolve. It happens to every one of them. Deal with it.

Was clear.

Quit baiting an argument.
You wrote “Taylor”. I was asking you to be more clear about who you were talking about. Was it Taylor Martinez or Zac Taylor?

The 1999 and 2000 teams were better than the 2001 team.
I’d agree with 1999 but not 2000..
But both those years we had close shaves with Colorado that we almost lost those games...

I’d would take Zach Taylor slightly over Gantz..

Ganz made boneheaded plays at times, but had he got 4 years under center like these other below average qbs the last 15 plus years he would have been filthy his junior and senior years.

I 100% agree. Ganz was a nice player, but he has been elevated over the years to some stud with NFL talent. He was serviceable, but many have been a lot better. Taylor Martinez > Ganz every day of the week.

ADVERTISEMENT