ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner Lee

I hope he does well and makes a roster

However others have said Lee looked great in shorts here and at quarterback camps etc

He would make an outstanding 7 on 7 quarterback but his on grass results here and at Tulane shows that once the pads are on and a defense is on the field- he isn't so great

TL's issues are accuracy and decision making under pressure. He has toughness and a superior arm. Not much of an athlete....but neither was the GOAT.

TL's issues are accuracy and decision making under pressure. He has toughness and a superior arm. Not much of an athlete....but neither was the GOAT.
In basketball, they say you can't teach tall. The same can be said about what a kid can do throwing a FB. Lee will have learning opportunities if he can make a roster. But he has an arm that will have a few GMs kicking the tires.

Reactions: saluno22
There were times when we saw Tanner Lee step up and make crisp, accurate throws even as the pocket was collapsing around him. He has shown (at times) to be capable of going through his progressions and finding the open receiver, sometimes even having to create something by buying extra time or making an off-balance throw. When scouts or coaches say they see a high ceiling from Tanner, I totally get it. Even as the offense struggled early in the season and there were some bad luck interceptions, I believed in his talents.

Statistically, his 57% completion percentage is descent considering the offensive line play and the number of drops by receivers, but sixteen interceptions is something he has to overcome. I know some of them were not his fault, but it's still too many. Also, I think you'd like to see a higher yards/completion number than his 7.3.

Overall, I think he's an intriguing prospect and will probably end up being a great value as a sixth or seventh round draft choice. If he gets the right opportunity, perhaps as the back-up to a veteran QB (like Drew Brees), then maybe he'll get a chance to further develop his skills and be primed to take on a starting role in a few years.

Those interceptions, at Tulane and here, cannot be overlooked. There are a ton of QB's that have played for bad lines in the NFL, with more pressure than Lee has ever faced, but they didn't throw that percentage of picks. He has all the physical tools in the world. I am afraid he will never have the "it" factor....and it cannot be taught.

Reactions: davecisar
Dueces, I get your point but it's not exactly correct. See my post above of BIG QBs that have been drafted. Here is Siemien's stat line from his senior year:

GP COMP/ATT YDS Y/A YDS/GM TD/INT
11 228/392 58.2% 2214 5.6 201.3 7/11

Ricky Stanzi's numbers from his 2014 campaign were also worse than Lee's from an TD/INT ratio
Very few QBs have the "it" factor. You don't have to have "it" to get drafted.

Reactions: huskerssalts
When GOAT QBs are discussed, it's as if Joe Montana never lived. 4-0 in the big game, great game winning drives plus one of the epic beatdowns against Elway and the Broncos.

Montana was way overrated. Had one of the best supporting casts ever. Elway sure didn't have a Jerry Rice, a John Taylor, a Roger Craig, a Rathman, etc. in that beatdown.

Nothing about QBs in the NFL make sense to me. I hope Tanner pumps his stock to the moon and goes in the first round to a team with a good OL. From there anything can happen as Tom Brady himself has shown us.

Dueces, I get your point but it's not exactly correct. See my post above of BIG QBs that have been drafted. Here is Siemien's stat line from his senior year:

GP COMP/ATT YDS Y/A YDS/GM TD/INT
11 228/392 58.2% 2214 5.6 201.3 7/11

Ricky Stanzi's numbers from his 2014 campaign were also worse than Lee's from an TD/INT ratio
Very few QBs have the "it" factor. You don't have to have "it" to get drafted.
Oh he will get drafted alright. It mainly was just my opinion of him as a QB. I anticipate most teams that don't have a QB would be willing to take a chance on him. Hope he does well.

Reactions: BroskiRed
What was the difference between Joe Montana and Steve Young?
Steve Young had a great arm and his running ability with his size terrified opposing Defenses, but he didn't have eyes in the back of his head like Montana had and just when you thought you had him, you didn't! That guy could scramble out of the pocket having defenders behind him, and it was like he knew they were there thus the eyes in the back of the head and would still make the play down field even being chased. In all of his time with SF he never fumbled the ball once, sure he had INT's. Montana's Career Rating 92.3 Yards 40,551 TD's 273 according to ESPN. Not bad for a guy that was drafted in the very last round which back then, there were 13

Last edited:
If Trevor Siemien (7th round pick) can start for an NFL team I see no reason why Tanner can't find a roster spot somewhere. Hackenberg (Round 2 pick) found an NFL roster too, as did CJ Beathard (3rd round) and Ricky Stanzi (5th round). He should get paid somewhere

Yea wtf is going on with Hackenberg- I totally forgot about him— wasn’t he the number one recruit coming out of high school?

Was thinking about this on the drive in. What a coup it is for Tanner to have gotten that Senior Bowl invite. Based on how NU played and his stats alone, you'd never put him into that game. Somebody pulled major strings and it just might makes millions of dollars of difference.

You watch him rocket up the boards by looking the part in those practices and having a nice pro day. If he can drop some nice passes in the bucket running vanilla offense against basically no blitzes in that game, just you watch him creep into the conversation and pull a Trubisky.

If Trevor Siemien (7th round pick) can start for an NFL team I see no reason why Tanner can't find a roster spot somewhere. Hackenberg (Round 2 pick) found an NFL roster too, as did CJ Beathard (3rd round) and Ricky Stanzi (5th round). He should get paid somewhere

Compare siemiens interceptions to lee's.

Compare siemiens interceptions to lee's.

I have no interest in that..You're so myopic here. Siemien led Northwestern to 3 conference wins in 2014, that should sound familiar to Nebraska fans. It.Doesn't.Matter.
What matters is the prospect. Like Archie just said, Tanner's resume doesn't preclude him from being one of the Nebraska's precious few pro prospects this draft. I'm not sure how folks can't get their heads around that. My post is meant for comparison, that he shouldn't be looked upon unfavorably as some Nebraska fans can't get over the picks. Stop being a fan for a second, reliving all those picks, and look at the facts. The interceptions sucked, most do by any QB. But he still has as good of a shot as ever after the season of team dysfunction and I'm hoping he lands somewhere decent.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Lee is extremely accurate.
He isnt good under pressure.
We had a bottom 10 line in all of FBS football, all conferences.
Brett Favre says hi regarding picks. NFL dont care.

Reactions: timnsun
No Dan Marino reference? If he played in today' game, with the current way interference is called.... He would put up monstrous numbers. And Yes, I realize he didn't win enough.

I have no interest in that..You're so myopic here. Siemien led Northwestern to 3 conference wins in 2014, that should sound familiar to Nebraska fans. It.Doesn't.Matter.
What matters is the prospect. Like Archie just said, Tanner's resume doesn't preclude him from being one of the Nebraska's precious few pro prospects this draft. I'm not sure how folks can't get their heads around that. My post is meant for comparison, that he shouldn't be looked upon unfavorably as some Nebraska fans can't get over the picks. Stop being a fan for a second, reliving all those picks, and look at the facts. The interceptions sucked, most do by any QB. But he still has as good of a shot as ever after the season of team dysfunction and I'm hoping he lands somewhere decent.
Exactly. If you didn't watch Northwestern and wonder why Colter wasn't their full-time QB if they wanted to win games then I guess we weren't seeing the same team. If you had bet me he'd win the starting job for the Broncos as I stood there at Ryan Field and watched that game I'd have laughed my ass off.

Two words: Brock Osweiller. Google that contract the Texans gave him if you forgot.

Lee just might end up rich AF. Won't mean he's a great qb, but while you sit home bagging on him on a message board, he'll be seeking out advice on what you do with millions of dollars.

Brady has accuracy and decision making issues under pressure.

Those interceptions, at Tulane and here, cannot be overlooked. There are a ton of QB's that have played for bad lines in the NFL, with more pressure than Lee has ever faced, but they didn't throw that percentage of picks. He has all the physical tools in the world. I am afraid he will never have the "it" factor....and it cannot be taught.
About 10 interceptions or less were on Tanner. 2 of the 3 against Iowa this year weren't on him. One was when he was hit from behind after less than 2 seconds, going into the DL's hands, and one went through Morgan's hands on a perfect pass. Then there were the other two or 3 against Oregon alone that weren't on him. These are just the obvious ones.

Tanner will do fine with a decent offense.

Last edited:
Just keeping it honest, but Tanner Lee came into the Nebraska program with some big expectations. He ended up being a flop. He was not a good QB for the Huskers.. I am glad he is gone, but wish him luck in his future endeavors.

Just keeping it honest, but Tanner Lee came into the Nebraska program with some big expectations. He ended up being a flop. He was not a good QB for the Huskers.. I am glad he is gone, but wish him luck in his future endeavors.
Tanner was one of the few bright spots on the team last year. Struggled early, then strong down the stretch.

The team ended up being a flop... not sure it’s fair to blame the season on TL when the line was terrible, the defense was even worse, and we had no running game.

Not saying he lived up to preseason expectations, because he absolutely didn’t. But I’m not sure who would have with this team. He would have been a much better QB for us if his supporting cast helped him.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
TL's main problem was lack of pocket presence and mobility within the pocket. That comes to light only in game-type situations, and it's not going to ease up at the next level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT