ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner in Concussion Protocol

Yikes... not sure if I'll even turn on the television to watch the Penn State game.
Oddly POB might give us as good of a game at PSU as anybody. His mobility helps buy time for our WRs to get open with our porous O line. He also adds the threat to keep the ball on those zone read plays.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Dang it. I was surprised this didn't happen earlier as many hits as he took delivering passes against Northwestern. He took some shots. Hope Bunch is ready to come in if POB gets drilled. They better get Darlington some reps this week too for an emergency backup.
Speaking of backups, one OWH article showed Gebbia on the sideline with a receiver at Minnesota.. Why is Gebbia on the traveling squad?

5a091e5e55271.image.jpg

Speaking of backups, one OWH article showed Gebbia on the sideline with a receiver at Minnesota.. Why is Gebbia on the traveling squad?
I suppose as the emergency backup. I suspect Riley still thought he had a chance to save his job and if Lee had gone down and it was a close game, we may have seen Gebbia instead of POB. That would have been a crime. They better not pull his shirt now.

Reactions: WHCSC
Teams often take young QBs so they can learn pregame routines and experience away stadiums....particularly if they are in future plans
I would be very surprised with all of our injuries at DB and linebacker and the limited number of travel roster spots that we took a QB just to let him see what it's like. If we did, that's stupid in this case. I don't think they took Bunch and Darlington stayed home so Gebbia would have had to play if POB had gone down.

I would be very surprised with all of our injuries at DB and linebacker and the limited number of travel roster spots that we took a QB just to let him see what it's like. If we did, that's stupid in this case. I don't think they took Bunch and Darlington stayed home so Gebbia would have had to play if POB had gone down.
lots of coaching staffs are stupid then.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
figured it was concussion.....prepare for a good old fashion Nebraska arse-whipping. Only this time the Huskers will be on the receiving end.

lots of coaching staffs are stupid then.
Lots of staffs are stupid but I said, in this case IF that's why they took him it was stupid. I also suspect that those staffs who take redshirting QBs figure if their top 2 go down and it's reasonably early in the year, the shirt's coming off. That's why I say Gebbia would have played if Riley had any thought that he had a chance to save his job. 3 games left and he may have thought if he could beat MN and Iowa to get bowl elgible and maybe stave off the wolves.

I suppose as the emergency backup. I suspect Riley still thought he had a chance to save his job and if Lee had gone down and it was a close game, we may have seen Gebbia instead of POB. That would have been a crime. They better not pull his shirt now.
Riley said today, he will not burn his redshirt.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Riley said today, he will not burn his redshirt.
Then he needs to stay home from PSU and we better find somebody who can be our emergency backup 3rd teamer because PSU is going to put a world of hurt on us.

If I was a player I would be playing my ass off the next 2 games. Not for the current staff, but for the new staff to see who is a quitter and who is a fighter. Everything you do goes into the film room. All positions open with new staff. Go earn it!!

I think that most coaches, not all but most, don't look at the old film of players they were not coaching, most don't really want to know what you did/didn't do. Anything put on film now is for the NFL.

Then he needs to stay home from PSU and we better find somebody who can be our emergency backup 3rd teamer because PSU is going to put a world of hurt on us.
I think PSU will do what's necessary.. I don't see CJF trying to embarrass a classy org like Nebraska.. it's not like you are some snot-nosed wanna be like Maryland. I was looking forward to maybe getting Nebraska good this year, now not so much, would be happy with a comfortable win with no injuries on either side.

I think PSU will do what's necessary.. I don't see CJF trying to embarrass a classy org like Nebraska.. it's not like you are some snot-nosed wanna be like Maryland. I was looking forward to maybe getting Nebraska good this year, now not so much, would be happy with a comfortable win with no injuries on either side.

Deal. Hopefully HCMR doesn't have to go chasing down a rogue player after the game to make him congratulate the winners.

Deal. Hopefully HCMR doesn't have to go chasing down a rogue player after the game to make him congratulate the winners.
our one player from Cali... go figure LOL. Looks like rain, possibly sleet.. that would favor Nebraska... in other words.. some downright "Lincoln plains" weather.

Oddly POB might give us as good of a game at PSU as anybody. His mobility helps buy time for our WRs to get open with our porous O line. He also adds the threat to keep the ball on those zone read plays.

I was only able to listen to the Minnesota game on the radio but it sounded like POB ran it a few times.

Were any of these designed runs or was it just him scrambling?

If he is able to run then they should use some of the plays desiged for TA the last couple of years.

Teams often take young QBs so they can learn pregame routines and experience away stadiums....particularly if they are in future plans
I was thinking travel squads were in the 50s. I see the Big Ten sets the number at 70. At that number I don't have a problem with it.

On the plus side, with PSU having two losses, they don't have incentive to run up a score to impress the committee (or rather not look bad if they don't beat us worse than MN did). IMO, take a lot of time between snaps (down to around 5 seconds for every snap), run the ball at least 2 of 3 snaps and try to hold PSU to maybe just 5 or 6 yards per play to chew up lots of clock. Kick the ball around a little rather than handing it to the refs when getting up after being tackled so a little more time runs off the clock before they get the ball set and restart the play clock. No penalties. Shorten the game. Help PSU off the ground after every play and talk nice. Don't give PSU any reason to want to pound us. In other words, play nice. Then maybe they won't put up 70.

I was only able to listen to the Minnesota game on the radio but it sounded like POB ran it a few times.

If he is able to run then they should use some of the plays desiged for TA the last couple of years.
It was him scrambling pretty much. More elusive than he looks for sure. Did a good job extending plays after things broke down. I wouldn't call any designed runs for him though.

I think they were all scrambles. He took some bad sacks but he showed some pretty good mobility and IF we would actually let the QB keep the ball on our zone read look run plays, I think he could do some damage. You don't have to be a burner to keep a D honest.

I think they were all scrambles. He took some bad sacks but he showed some pretty good mobility and IF we would actually let the QB keep the ball on our zone read look run plays, I think he could do some damage. You don't have to be a burner to keep a D honest.
Brook Berringer proved that to be true

Reactions: Bremser
On the plus side, with PSU having two losses, they don't have incentive to run up a score to impress the committee (or rather not look bad if they don't beat us worse than MN did). IMO, take a lot of time between snaps (down to around 5 seconds for every snap), run the ball at least 2 of 3 snaps and try to hold PSU to maybe just 5 or 6 yards per play to chew up lots of clock. Kick the ball around a little rather than handing it to the refs when getting up after being tackled so a little more time runs off the clock before they get the ball set and restart the play clock. No penalties. Shorten the game. Help PSU off the ground after every play and talk nice. Don't give PSU any reason to want to pound us. In other words, play nice. Then maybe they won't put up 70.

Straight out of the 2004 Oklahoma gameplan!

Straight out of the 2004 Oklahoma gameplan!
I was madder after that game than any other I can remember. Callahan conceded that game from the opening kickoff. He installed the WCO and that game he threw the ball 13 times. We ran 53 total plays. It was anathema to everything that sports should be about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT