ADVERTISEMENT

Talked to a Texas fan recently.....

Redgator

Walk On
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2001
Asked him how in hell does Texas not have a great team every year being located where they are, that being the premier university in one of the richest talent areas in the country and his response.....blame it on Charlie Strongs recruiting. Sound familiar?

Reactions: TheNewNU
Some of it might be that but a lot of it is the fact that most players don't pan out...also...some guys that are studs in HS never get better...also...some coaches have a hard time with preparing and calling plays...also don't forget that the other teams are trying too.

Asked him how in hell does Texas not have a great team every year being located where they are, that being the premier university in one of the richest talent areas in the country and his response.....blame it on Charlie Strongs recruiting. Sound familiar?

Just my opinion, as I don't follow UT athletics very closely, despite having an office in the shadow of DKR Memorial.

It used to be that UT had the pick of the litter in Texas. They were always going to lose a few recruits to other elite programs, but within the border they essentially got first pick. That changed over time because of a number of factors: 1) Oklahoma's dominance, 2) Texas A&M moving to SEC, 3) Baylor and TCU changing perceptions about Texas being the "big dog" in the state. I think the administration and fans also underestimated just how good of a job Mack Brown did selling the program to recruits in the state. They incorrectly assumed anybody could do it.

But recruiting misses were also to blame. Because Texas got first pick, there was s tendency to offer guys as sophomores, or even freshmen. Yes, they were getting verbals from the highest-regarded sophomores in the state. But those didn't always turn out to be the best recruits overall. Sometimes they filled up on guys who had peaked in high school, at the expense of late bloomers that had higher ceilings.

Plus, let's face it, a team of pampered prima donnas isn't always a good thing. Some of these guys hadn't had to earn their spot on the field since 6th grade. Managing all of those egos was a full time job. They've had plenty of guys who didn't work very hard. Others that pouted when they didn't get enough playing time. Quarterback was especially problematic. They'd land the #1 QB recruit in the state, but if he turned out to be a bust, then they had very little to fall back on.

For awhile, they really busted on QBs. Now their defense sucks. Skill players on offense not what you would expect either. Some good players, but not great.

They have won 1 national title since integration and the 1 they have was on the back of a generational talent and some poor play by USC. Lots must go you way to win a title and talent isnt all of it.

I recently came up with a theory around this as it relates to not just Texas but a lot of public schools. It is a bit out there though.

My understanding is that as a "regular student" Texas is near impossible to get into as an in-state student. The regents have set up admissions where if you are in the top 3% (or maybe 5%) in your graduating class you are guaranteed admission. If you fall much lower than that you are pretty much shut out, just due to enrollment maximums. The only way in if you are in-state and outside of that narrow percentage is to be an athlete.

To be in the top % of graduating seniors I think it is safe to say you need straight A's or close to it. If you are a 5* recruit with mainly B's in high school you are getting in but now have to compete with all of the brainiacs in class every day. Any curve is wrecked and I would imagine staying in school and eligible is more of a challenge than at say a Nebraska, Iowa, or Minnesota.

I understand California is set up the same way, you are guaranteed admission to a UC if you are in the top x% of your class. UCLA and CAL are always the top choices so again the regular students are all brainiacs. This is in large part how the operation varsity blues scandal took place, use the lower qualifications for athletes to get kids in. I believe Florida is moving in the same direction.

I think this gives schools like Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Rutgers, etc. an opportunity to take those players and place them in a school that is not restricted to just the top of the food chain student wise. They are competing in the classroom with more academic peers making the whole process more enticing. We have the opportunity to start pulling players from these states if we position the academic side next to the athletic side.

Just a thought I had over a drunken weekend.

It’s top 8% of your graduating class at your school.

but I’m not sure how that affects Texas football. Herman can get any football player, that meets the minimum eligibility for the NCAA, into Texas if he wants them.

Herman just completed his third season at Texas. Year one, they competed and finished with a 7-6 record, including a bowl game victory. Year two, they finished 10-3 which included a bowl game victory over Georgia. Year three they did come backwards a bit, but as we're seeing here at Nebraska, flipping a culture and getting to Top 10 status doesn't happen overnight. I'm confident in Herman just as I'm confident in Frost. These guys experienced really high levels of success at lower-tier programs - but it's not a case of wondering whether they can compete in tougher leagues, because their teams showed that they belonged with P5 programs.

Texas will do just fine just as I believe Nebraska will as well.

you could be the dumbest student in the state but the best football player. your getting in to texas.

I agree they are getting in to Texas, I said that. The issue is if they can compete in the classroom and stay both eligible and in school when they are the least accomplished students at the school, with no other peers except other athletes. It is tough enough to handle division one athletics and school (I know from experience) but even harder when the curve in every class is blown by straight A high school students and you were a more typical B C student. The schools in states like Iowa and Nebraska that take a wider variety of high school graduates can offer a much easier path towards eligibility and ultimately graduation which should be used as a selling point.

I recently came up with a theory around this as it relates to not just Texas but a lot of public schools. It is a bit out there though.

My understanding is that as a "regular student" Texas is near impossible to get into as an in-state student. The regents have set up admissions where if you are in the top 3% (or maybe 5%) in your graduating class you are guaranteed admission. If you fall much lower than that you are pretty much shut out, just due to enrollment maximums. The only way in if you are in-state and outside of that narrow percentage is to be an athlete.

To be in the top % of graduating seniors I think it is safe to say you need straight A's or close to it. If you are a 5* recruit with mainly B's in high school you are getting in but now have to compete with all of the brainiacs in class every day. Any curve is wrecked and I would imagine staying in school and eligible is more of a challenge than at say a Nebraska, Iowa, or Minnesota.

I understand California is set up the same way, you are guaranteed admission to a UC if you are in the top x% of your class. UCLA and CAL are always the top choices so again the regular students are all brainiacs. This is in large part how the operation varsity blues scandal took place, use the lower qualifications for athletes to get kids in. I believe Florida is moving in the same direction.

I think this gives schools like Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Rutgers, etc. an opportunity to take those players and place them in a school that is not restricted to just the top of the food chain student wise. They are competing in the classroom with more academic peers making the whole process more enticing. We have the opportunity to start pulling players from these states if we position the academic side next to the athletic side.

Just a thought I had over a drunken weekend.

It's actually top 10%, at least when I was in high school in Texas. I believe it is still the same. As for scholarship athletes, the rule does not apply. The education standards aren't as high as you would think, since a lot of those top 10%ers in high school go to other schools. I did.

I figured if the guy could win big at houston he would kill with ut's set up

I figured if the guy could win big at houston he would kill with ut's set up

He was actually the Louisville coach prior to UT. But, agreed. I figured he would do well also. Guess he wasn't all that great, since he just got fired by USF.

It's actually top 10%, at least when I was in high school in Texas. I believe it is still the same. As for scholarship athletes, the rule does not apply. The education standards aren't as high as you would think, since a lot of those top 10%ers in high school go to other schools. I did.
Down to 8% and will be down to 6% pretty soon. They want more out of state tuition, so they want to further limit the number of in state students.

He was actually the Louisville coach prior to UT. But, agreed. I figured he would do well also. Guess he wasn't all that great, since he just got fired by USF.
Strong was at Louisville Prior to Texas... Herman was at Houston prior to Texas. Pretty sure he was talking about Herman wasn’t he?

Funny how times have changed as everyone used to be UT's biotch in the Big XII and now UT is the Big XII's

Reactions: Bugeater
Strong was at Louisville Prior to Texas... Herman was at Houston prior to Texas. Pretty sure he was talking about Herman wasn’t he?
yes I was, but I can see how what I said could have been confused for strong...seeing I didn't read all the comments before hand

Reactions: timnsun
Funny how times have changed as everyone used to be UT's biotch in the Big XII and now UT is the Big XII's

Because Nebraska left. If we were still in the Big XII I guarantee we would find a way to lose to texass every freaking time. Throwing INT on 1st and Goal after a long punt return. Fumbling a game-winning first down. Nebraska's greatest contribution to the Big XII was somehow pissing down their leg every time the orange devils were on the field.

Texas is a cautionary tale. With the exception of having Vince and McCoy lead them to a few great seasons, Texas has been a case of performance never quite matching recruiting classes and in some years, falling woefully below expectations based on evaluated roster talent. I think NU has had more than a bit of that over the past several years. Riley's recruiting classes did not come close to matching performance on the field. I think this year we get to see if Frost's kids' (three classes on roster/4-5 total) performance matches their recruiting predictions.
Once a program is at a lower elevation of the college football mountain, it is not a lock that it will ever ascend to previous heights.

Reactions: Bugeater and 9and4
The original big 12 resurrected Texas, the only team that has benefitted for Nebraska Texas am Missouri and Colorado leaving was Oklahoma. All the other schools are pretty much secondary. Imo Nebraska and A&M Made Texas better now there gone. I was watching kst West Virginia play in Manhattan and kst couldn’t even sellout

A great high school football player does not always make a great college football player.

ADVERTISEMENT