ADVERTISEMENT

Talk of proposing a expanded College football playoff

You are missing the point. In that scenario Ohio St would still be one of the best 12 teams in the country. Just like they were one of the top 4 teams in 2014, even though they lost one game to Virginia Tech. Winning one game against Ohio St should not automatically make Nebraska one of the 12 best teams. Nebraska would have lost 3 other games that season. That is the point plain and simple. You are choosing, in your argument, that winning a P5 CCG trumps losing multiple games throughout the season and placing more importance on 1 game in December than 12 from Aug-Nov.

Conference championship games were put in place to determine a conference champion when conferences got so big that they couldn't determine the champion throughout the regular season, be it round robin or playing as close to all of the other teams in the league as possible. When they came into existence, the only reward was winning the title and a trip to the BCS bowl game tied to that conference. After the fact, you and others want to give them an additional reward.

In reality, it is probably only a factor in the 12 team proposal because those in charge know that if they don't provide an opportunity for all conferences they would not get the needed support for passage. The SEC knows that they are going to get 3 teams and 1/4 the field every year. That is why they are pushing for 12 and not 8.

As far as complaining goes. Truth be known, I would say that you would be the first to bitch if Nebraska didn't get in that scenario if the SEC, ACC, Big 12, AAC, Sun Belt and Pac 12 teams were all ranked higher and Nebraska would be the 7th highest ranked and not guaranteed a spot. And your reasoning would be that "we won the Big Ten CCG. Its a power 5 league. If the American team or the Sun Belt team played in the Big Ten they would lose 5 games minimum".

I am very consistent in this matter. In my opinion, whatever number you want to expand this to, 8-32 it doesn't matter, rank the teams 1-8, 1-12,1-16, 1-32, no tie ins, no automatic bids, no limits on number of teams each conference can get in, no finagling the rankings to avoid rematches or conference affiliations. The committee ranks the teams and the tournament starts.
Save your breath the committee is going to reward the conference champion., regardless where they seed them in the tournament and It’s not my idea about the Group of 5 but you would have to throw them a bone if a Cincy, or UCF finish in the top 10 there won’t be 2 teams from the Group of 5 knocking off a 7th ranked P5 team.

There will be 6 at- large berths and they will guarantee any of your so called deserving teams that lose in their CCG..Like Nebraska did in the inaugural big 12 championship game..

We don’t see eye to eye on this matter you want the 12 best teams without playing a CCG come high or hell water, sorry it’s not going to work that way…

Save your breath the committee is going to reward the conference champion., regardless where they seed them in the tournament and It’s not my idea about the Group of 5 but you would have to throw them a bone if a Cincy, or UCF finish in the top 10 there won’t be 2 teams from the Group of 5 knocking off a 7th ranked P5 team.

There will be 6 at- large berths and they will guarantee any of your so called deserving teams that lose in their CCG..Like Nebraska did in the inaugural big 12 championship game..

We don’t see eye to eye on this matter you want the 12 best teams without playing a CCG come high or hell water, sorry it’s not going to work that way…
But it will work that way. It says the highest ranked champions from 10 leagues. It doesn’t say all power 5 CCG plus one other winner.

Like 2020, there will be another time in the future where a P5 CCG winner will be left out. and it won’t be me bitching

But it will work that way. It says the highest ranked champions from 10 leagues. It doesn’t say all power 5 CCG plus one other winner.

Like 2020, there will be another time in the future where a P5 CCG winner will be left out. and it won’t be me bitching
No the Group of all 5 champions will only have one team and it will be the highest rated team from what the article I read said.

The college football regular season used to be the playoff. If you lost, you no longer controlled your own destiny. This was one of the things that made college football so great - every game mattered.

With that in mind, I would argue that a 4-team playoff is perfect. It would allow for those odd years where 3 teams end the season undefeated (see 2003) to all have an opportunity to win the championship, while at the same time maintaining the importance of the regular season.

Expanding the playoff beyond 4 teams will only succeed in watering down the regular season to the point that many people will only "tune in" during the playoffs (see the NFL).

If they raise it to 12 teams I would not be surprised to see a 3-loss team win the title within a decade.

Ugh.

Reactions: scarletred
You are missing the point. In that scenario Ohio St would still be one of the best 12 teams in the country. Just like they were one of the top 4 teams in 2014, even though they lost one game to Virginia Tech. Winning one game against Ohio St should not automatically make Nebraska one of the 12 best teams. Nebraska would have lost 3 other games that season. That is the point plain and simple. You are choosing, in your argument, that winning a P5 CCG trumps losing multiple games throughout the season and placing more importance on 1 game in December than 12 from Aug-Nov.

Conference championship games were put in place to determine a conference champion when conferences got so big that they couldn't determine the champion throughout the regular season, be it round robin or playing as close to all of the other teams in the league as possible. When they came into existence, the only reward was winning the title and a trip to the BCS bowl game tied to that conference. After the fact, you and others want to give them an additional reward.

In reality, it is probably only a factor in the 12 team proposal because those in charge know that if they don't provide an opportunity for all conferences they would not get the needed support for passage. The SEC knows that they are going to get 3 teams and 1/4 the field every year. That is why they are pushing for 12 and not 8.

As far as complaining goes. Truth be known, I would say that you would be the first to bitch if Nebraska didn't get in that scenario if the SEC, ACC, Big 12, AAC, Sun Belt and Pac 12 teams were all ranked higher and Nebraska would be the 7th highest ranked and not guaranteed a spot. And your reasoning would be that "we won the Big Ten CCG. Its a power 5 league. If the American team or the Sun Belt team played in the Big Ten they would lose 5 games minimum".

I am very consistent in this matter. In my opinion, whatever number you want to expand this to, 8-32 it doesn't matter, rank the teams 1-8, 1-12,1-16, 1-32, no tie ins, no automatic bids, no limits on number of teams each conference can get in, no finagling the rankings to avoid rematches or conference affiliations. The committee ranks the teams and the tournament starts.

No system will be perfect. Balance is obviously needed.

It is about money and viewership. Sponsors want more diversity than Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Notre Dame.

6 conference winners and 6 at-large trump 4 CFP teams and 8 simply didn't help balance the SEC and the Group of 5.

Last year, no Pac 12 program, had the system under proposal been in effect.

The glass is half full than empty. It will make October and November more interesting.

It will help Ohio State, Clemson and Alabama. They would have made every playoff under this scenario. Didn't check Oklahoma's three seasons.

No system will be perfect. Balance is obviously needed.

It is about money and viewership. Sponsors want more diversity than Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Notre Dame.

6 conference winners and 6 at-large trump 4 CFP teams and 8 simply didn't help balance the SEC and the Group of 5.

Last year, no Pac 12 program, had the system under proposal been in effect.

The glass is half full than empty. It will make October and November more interesting.

It will help Ohio State, Clemson and Alabama. They would have made every playoff under this scenario. Didn't check Oklahoma's three seasons.
Nope. Ohio St is the only school that would have made it every year since 2014. I know for sure Alabama would have missed 2019.

Reactions: cidsports
I want to know if they’re going to make the SEC and ACC play 9 conference games starting 2023 like the other P5 conference’s when they start this formate.

Why would they? There was no rule requiring the Big 10 or anyone else to schedule 9 league games. Self imposed sanctions aren’t the SECs or ACCs issue.
Saban wants the SEC to play nine and I will say this about the ACC quite a few play 2 Power5 non conference games not so much in the SEC…

What does meaningless mean to you on terms of a college football game?

For instances, even when the Huskers suck and it is near the end of the season and the game they are playing that weekend has no "meaning" I still watch it.

Just like bowl games, they are pretty much meaningless but we still watch them.
I’m still waiting for why Alabama should have had to beat Georgia a third time to claim the NC. If the first two wins were not enough to prove Alabama is better, then those games were meaningless. This renders the regular season/conference titles meaningless.

With a playoff system, especially one thats expanded beyond four, there is no reason for conference title races. Theres no reason to worry about playing big games. Top 12 in? All we need to do is start preseason top 10 and we can even afford a loss or two. Who cares?
For those who like this, there is something called the NFL. Follow that, because thats what college football is going to become.

As far as “bigtime”s arguments, just because I watch something doesnt mean I dont want it to be as good as possible. Just because someone watches Mcguyver when its on tv, it doesnt mean its the best action show on tv and someone wouldnt wanna try to watch something better. Anyone who can say the games would mean just as much is being dishonest or didnt pay attention to what happened to bowls after the initial playoff. We have evidence.
I’m not sure why bigfan is being so obtuse about this....but obtuse he is.

Saban wants the SEC to play nine and I will say this about the ACC quite a few play 2 Power5 non conference games not so much in the SEC…
Saban has wanted 9 games for years, yet here they sit at 8. He wants the games to combat shrinking attendance. If people aren’t coming to Alabama vs Samford then schedule somebody better, or go on the road and play someone.

I will still contend that if/when you make league rules that put your league at a competitive disadvantages, you shouldn’t rely on the other leagues to do what you do to make it even. If you line up a boxing match between an MMA fighter and a boxer, the MMA fighter can’t complain because he can’t wrestle, knee or kick. Or better yet, if two MMA fighters are in the octagon, and one chooses to only box, he can’t complain that it isn’t fair because the other guy is kicking, wrestling and throwing knees and elbows.

I’m still waiting for why Alabama should have had to beat Georgia a third time to claim the NC. If the first two wins were not enough to prove Alabama is better, then those games were meaningless. This renders the regular season/conference titles meaningless.

With a playoff system, especially one thats expanded beyond four, there is no reason for conference title races. Theres no reason to worry about playing big games. Top 12 in? All we need to do is start preseason top 10 and we can even afford a loss or two. Who cares?
For those who like this, there is something called the NFL. Follow that, because thats what college football is going to become.

As far as “bigtime”s arguments, just because I watch something doesnt mean I dont want it to be as good as possible. Just because someone watches Mcguyver when its on tv, it doesnt mean its the best action show on tv and someone wouldnt wanna try to watch something better. Anyone who can say the games would mean just as much is being dishonest or didnt pay attention to what happened to bowls after the initial playoff. We have evidence.
I’m not sure why bigfan is being so obtuse about this....but obtuse he is.
Because that is how playoffs work. You might play a team that you already played.

That regular season win, is not meaningless at the time, not to the teams, fans, coaches. That conference championship game is not meaningless at the time, not to the teams, fans, coaches.

Because that is how playoffs work. You might play a team that you already played.

That regular season win, is not meaningless at the time, not to the teams, fans, coaches. That conference championship game is not meaningless at the time, not to the teams, fans, coaches.
In fairness, that’s how NFL playoffs work. When your only have 31 teams to play in the regular season, and nearly half of make the playoffs, the odds of playing the same team increases.

In fairness, that’s how NFL playoffs work. When your only have 31 teams to play in the regular season, and nearly half of make the playoffs, the odds of playing the same team increases.
Oh for sure and really college football is kind of the same. There are a ton of D1 teams but the reality is that you really only play a handful of them.

Either way, 12 is probably going to happen and two years after it happens, we will be wondering when it will change to 16.

And at that time we will still be waiting for TO to pass away so that we can sell booze.

With power5 and Notre Dame you have 2 NFL with the 65 teams….

Never compare college Football to pro Football..

8 is enough, 1, 2, or 3 more games is enough. we dont need the alsorans having to play an extra game and let the deep, big boys squads rest up to hammer someone. 16 would be fine but think they would need to drop back a game from the regular schedule. monitoring the bank accounts of players, their families, and of course our super honest politicians might even out the world a little too.

Last edited:
With power5 and Notre Dame you have 2 NFL with the 65 teams….

Never compare college Football to pro Football..
I don’t know if you are supporting my point or not. Based on the track record, I’ll assume not.

I just think whatever you can do to reduce the number of rematches the better. I’m not sure increasing the playoffs to 12 or 16 does that.

Clemson opens with Georgia and closes with South Carolina on top of their 2021 ACC schedule.

But, outside of Clemson and Notre Dame, who don't belong to ACC except during pandemics .... very few ACC programs project for the CFP 12.

Big Ten 20
SEC 19

Reinventing the 12 CFP picture under new rules.

The proposal is a good one. Allows for both OU and Nebraska to talk non-conference series into the future, if both willing.

Heck, Kansas State went into Norman and beat OU last year. Over past 10 years, they would have made a CFP 12.

Should be good for College Football even if ACC and SEC keep playing only 8.

Clemson opens with Georgia and closes with South Carolina on top of their 2021 ACC schedule.

But, outside of Clemson and Notre Dame, who don't belong to ACC except during pandemics .... very few ACC programs project for the CFP 12.

Big Ten 20
SEC 19

Reinventing the 12 CFP picture under new rules.

The proposal is a good one. Allows for both OU and Nebraska to talk non-conference series into the future, if both willing.

Heck, Kansas State went into Norman and beat OU last year. Over past 10 years, they would have made a CFP 12.

Should be good for College Football even if ACC and SEC keep playing only 8.

Notre Dame still has to play 4-5 teams every year in the ACC to be in the ACC conference for all their other sports…

What’s K-state have to do with this again?

ADVERTISEMENT